Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
Question Warranty knowledge Please

I would love to Mod my car, but I have heard a lot of information that I would like to see if someone can Sum up these questions.

Firstly, I have heard the Superchargers have Isolator and bearing issues.
I do not hear marbles in mine, but that doesn't mean it wont happen.

Does anyone know if the S/c issues have been resolved for the 14 year models?.

Next, If I mod the upper/lower pulleys, do I risk voiding warranty?.

if I do put the warranty at risk with u/l pulleys, how far if anything can I take it before I do not risk the warranty?.

Lastly, is there a separate warranty on the motor and a separate warranty on the SuperCharger?, meaning if one part fails would they blame the failure on the other modified part?.

Thanks in advance.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
1. No
2. Yes
3. Please ask a coherent question.
4. No and finally it's subjective if you modified the car in any way GM can void warranty. However, it is doubtful if you modified your supercharger and the rear defroster was malfunctioning that they would decline a claim on the rear defroster after noting the modifications to the supercharger.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #3
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Technically the warranty is not subjective and GM's powertrain warranty covers everything in the powertrain from the engine to the rear wheels that is mechanical and not a "wear" item. GM/Chevy can't just "void your warranty" for making mods. They can deny specific claims due to the mods though. If you change blower pulleys and your super charger bearings fail, GM can deny the claim saying the over speed of the supercharger caused the failure. But the same pulley change can not cause the rear defroster to fail, so GM would have to cover that repair. There are some grey areas though. If your trans fails and you are running just the pulleys (and engine tune only, no trans tune for autos), the pulleys don't have a DIRECT affect on the trans but the additional power could. By law GM is to prove that the additional power via pulley change caused the trans failure before they can deny the claim. In reality, most likely they are going to deny the claim and make you prove that the additional power didn't cause the failure. So if you change your pulleys, you are risking claims to your supercharger and the rest of your powertrain, but the rest of the car would still be covered.
Here is a link to a SEMA article about it with a link to the FTC: http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/...ermarket-parts
Hope this helps some.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:24 AM   #4
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
I would love to Mod my car, but I have heard a lot of information that I would like to see if someone can Sum up these questions.

Firstly, I have heard the Superchargers have Isolator and bearing issues.
I do not hear marbles in mine, but that doesn't mean it wont happen.

Does anyone know if the S/c issues have been resolved for the 14 year models?.

Next, If I mod the upper/lower pulleys, do I risk voiding warranty?.

if I do put the warranty at risk with u/l pulleys, how far if anything can I take it before I do not risk the warranty?.

Lastly, is there a separate warranty on the motor and a separate warranty on the SuperCharger?, meaning if one part fails would they blame the failure on the other modified part?.

Thanks in advance.
Eaton will not address the isolator coupler issue. The first and foremost owner complaint is noise with the isolator coupler. The bearing failure issue is far much less of a problem. Nothing will be resolved or changed going forward with the Eaton S/C throughout it's run for the Gen 5 Camaro. Pulley changes, talk to your service advisor at the Chevy dealership you work with for what they will allow under warranty. They are all different. Major Guard extended warranty through your Chevy dealership covers extended warranty on the vehicle. Nothing else exisits for just the motor seperate from the S/C.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
Thank you for the thoughtful answers.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:33 PM   #6
WhiteyChev

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1. 1/94 produced.
It's mostly common sense. Warranty is designed to cover defects in workmanship & quality.
Engineers spend a ton of time making sure all components work properly together, from A to Z. Safety, performance, comfort, longevity, fuel efficiency etc are just some of the considerations.

When a change is made, it has potential to affect things downstream. That would not be a defect, but a material change to the highly qualified 'status quo'.
A transmission designed to handle 250 HP could very well fail at 350 HP. A manufacturer could design for 350HP, but then we'd be whining about the cost of it! Or they simply wouldn't sell due to non competitiveness, wouldn't continue to produce & we'd have nothing to modify!
A front air deflector on the hood can affect MPG & more likely, cabin wind noise.
Like life - everything is a trade off.

IMO any issue at your dealer is usually a misunderstanding/ miscommunication of some sort, warranty work is mostly the best work. The price is set fairly & the manufacturer pays on time & without complaint or negotiation. Not always the case with customer pay.
They cannot/ should not lie to the manaufacturer about diagnosis/ cause - ever. This would jeopardize their future unnecessarily. But when/ if justifiable, should gladly look after their customers. That's kinda how it works.

If you make changes, there are risks. Know that & enjoy your car! However that may affect you. There's no free lunch & life is short.

Last edited by WhiteyChev; 03-09-2014 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Damn autocorrect
WhiteyChev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:02 AM   #7
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Fact is....go to your service writer, tell them what you want to do and ask them if they will honor the warranty. That's the bottom line, if they tell you no, you have your answer. Every dealership is different, irregardless of warranty gobbly gook or what anybody else tells you.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Drives: 2014 - ZL1 / 2003 - Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Fact is....go to your service writer, tell them what you want to do and ask them if they will honor the warranty. That's the bottom line, if they tell you no, you have your answer. Every dealership is different, irregardless of warranty gobbly gook or what anybody else tells you.
I totally agree!