Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #183
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
I love my steering wheel. Doesn't look like a pie bowl.

I enjoy having door locks where they normally should be on the car. When I get out and want to lock my door, I don't have to lean into the car to hit the lock button, I can hit it right there on the door.

I wish I had the nav screen. It's awesome. You'd change your mind if you had one.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #184
Grandeos
Automotive Designer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
While the new features are nice additions (minus the redundent door locks and crap corporate steering wheel), they are executed very poorly. Clearly after-thoughts.

And those new wheels.... too thin and spine-y for a bold-bodied muscle car. The form language just doesnt go together. They look more at home on a Malibu.

The nav unit, while functionally is great... It's integrated very poorly into the IP. While the regular radio unit is flush with the IP surface, the new nav unit protrudes with a thickness like a chunky old portable CD player. Very un-refined.

I'd have to agree... They keep bastardizing what was a pure execution of an amazing concept car. Another fine example of "design-by-committee."
Old 07-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #185
Caitlin&Caroline

Drives: '11 2SS IOM/IO A6, '06 Outback Ltd
I work for a consumer products company. One of the first things that I learned was as you innovate to incorporate new technology and to address complaints, people continue to complain. And people call in to complain far more often than to praise (but thank you to the ones that do!) - and squeaky wheels get the grease.

I also learned that for most products that I use, I am not the target consumer. For example, before purchase, I test drove both a 2011 and a 2012. I didn't even notice any of the changes listed in this post (including the backup camera). I like my 2011 steering wheel (it says "Camaro"!) and my center console locks (I only use the fob anyway). That said, the details usually don't bother me if the overall product meets my intent (awesome car - check! ).
Old 07-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #186
Kent2010

Drives: Camaro SS
>first they replaced the retro steering wheel with a parts bin wheel
I *much* prefer the new steering wheel

>put the lock controls on the doors like every other chevy
The PDL button is now where it belongs. Win.

>they replace the wheels with ones that everyone seems to dislike
I prefer the 2010-2012 SS wheels, but I don't *hate* the new ones

>then they added a parts bin Nav System
I like the new screen, and its in a good location for use.

So in my scorecard, its 3 "improvements" and 1 minor "setback" (and that even that one is just wheels -- the easiest change to make on a car). Overall, that's a winning upgrade to me.
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #187
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I guess Chevy also screwed up because they quit making the Corvette the same way it was from the show car in 1953.
People need to get a grip it's not like someone changed the Mona Lisa.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #188
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
This Thread: X 1,000,000,000,000

Thank you, Angry Bird.

To the O.P. -- I'm not sure how you can make the comment you do and be taken seriously. Now - before you jump all over me - let me first state that there is not another car in the world where the team spends more time with enthusiasts and the owners of the competition - listening - listening - listening - asking questions - and then making informed decisions.

See -- here's the problem: We could perform a miracle and do something to the car that everyone in the world would fall in love with - .........and THEN there would be the one person who didn't agree - and he would post on this site - and accuse GM of trying to ruin the car.......

It's called: Human Nature.

Your name is 'Vetteman" as I recall -- and let me assure you that the Corvette team does not listen as much as the Camaro team (..and I've been on both teams...) They don't have "The 12 Disciples of which there are 15" (Go research THAT on this site....)

That's not a shot at the Corvette Team - but - as the old Avis Rental car ads used to claim: "We try harder!"

At 39 posts, I suspect you haven't been on this site as much as most. So - I'll give you some food for thought:
There is this thing that I like to call "Panic du Jour" - it's usually someone not unlike yourself that declares that GM is ruining the car. Let's take a walk down memory lane, shall we?

>There was the B-pillar panic du jour. Some claimed that it made the car so ugly that people were made sterile.............

>There was the "OMG! THE SS FRONT FASCIA IS UGLIER THAN A TRUCKLOAD OF MUSTANGS (..sorry Ford.....) and people are going to tear them off - and go buy V6 fascias. Result:
www.neverinamillionyearsdidithappen.com

>There was the horror of the 45th Anniversary model.......rumor has it that we would have to have a 'buy one -get one free' sale - and even THEN we'd only sell them to blind people.......simply because they were so hideous. In fact, it supposedly made small children wet themselves and then required that the parents of said children then needed to spend tens of millions of dollars on psychiatric care.......

>There was the "THE WORLD WILL END TOMORROW BECAUSE THE DUAL STRIPES ON THE HOOD DO not EXTEND ONTO THE FRONT FASCIA - THIS MEANS THAT A FAMINE WILL DESTROY THE WORLD" P.D.J.

I could type for the next 6 hours and not scratch the surface as to how many P.D.J. we've had on this site.....

As to taking parts out of the bin? Go check your facts, there fella............that's not the case. I only WISH it were as simple as 'raiding the parts bins'......(rest assured that it is not.......)

so - yes, it's everyone's right to question. It's also my right and the rights of a few others to say " NO...we don't believe so..."

Now - are you going to buy a Camaro??

- or were you ever intending to buy a Camaro?

Sorry - it's late - and this is the 2,486,432nd post about 'GM is ruining the Camaro' -- so I get just a bit touchy about it!!!!

(...now...I'll go stand in the corner once again......

....."....bad Fbodfather! Bad Fbodfather! For shame!!....

"The Fbodfather has spoken"

Carry on with your Camaro5 viewing and posting

:notheadlights:

Old 07-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #189
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandeos View Post
While the new features are nice additions (minus the redundent door locks and crap corporate steering wheel), they are executed very poorly. Clearly after-thoughts.

And those new wheels.... too thin and spine-y for a bold-bodied muscle car. The form language just doesnt go together. They look more at home on a Malibu.

The nav unit, while functionally is great... It's integrated very poorly into the IP. While the regular radio unit is flush with the IP surface, the new nav unit protrudes with a thickness like a chunky old portable CD player. Very un-refined.

I'd have to agree... They keep bastardizing what was a pure execution of an amazing concept car. Another fine example of "design-by-committee."
There is simply no way to put a Navigation system in the existing I.P. and make it flush. if it were possible, we would have done so. There's limited 'real estate' behind the radio faceplate. Yes, we could have completely redone the I/P - and I can imagine the remarks if we did.

Customers have asked for navigation - we have delivered.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #190
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
There is simply no way to put a Navigation system in the existing I.P. and make it flush. if it were possible, we would have done so. There's limited 'real estate' behind the radio faceplate. Yes, we could have completely redone the I/P - and I can imagine the remarks if we did.

Customers have asked for navigation - we have delivered.
I think it's funny we have so many people on here that must think they know exactly what can be put into the existing car without a major redesign.

They need to also remember the first Gen Camaro. Just look at all the changes it went through in 68 and 69, then by the time it got as old as the 13 Camaro it was completely redesigned into what we know now as the second Gen. So by those standards the 5th gen has just had minor changes. Now look how desirable each one of those cars are today. Does anyone gripe about those yearly changes? Nope!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #191
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

I've been watching the show on Velocity Channel about the 2013 cars and concepts and you would be amazed on how many different manufacturers have a very similar steering wheel as the 2012 Camaro has. So I guess you need to accept this style wheel, it's very popular.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #192
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtplt View Post
He most certainly did not. The steering wheel is obviously the parts bin Cruze, Volt, Sonic, and Equinox wheel.
When he was lamenting the "Panic Du Jour" he cleverly avoided the "Panic Du Decade" (i.e. "We took the Ambient lighting off the dashboard of the Camaro because having it on the dash is unsafe/too distracting but nevermind the ambient lighting on the dashboard of every other car we make or the man behind the curtain.")

I know it annoys a lot of people that I have to keep bringing it up, but I've never gotten an apology for all the times I was attacked about this when events unfolded, even though history has proven me to have been right all along.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #193
Kamaro223
Kamaro223

Drives: 2016 RS/LT Camaros
A single door lock switch is a good cost reduction and makes it harder to beak in the car..that was a good decision
Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #194
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaro223 View Post
A single door lock switch is a good cost reduction and makes it harder to beak in the car..that was a good decision
How?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #195
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
How?
Because if you pry the glass out you can just press the button to unlock the car... with the button on the dash its much harder to press. I don't like the lock/unlock button on the door either, yes it took some getting used to, but some change is good.

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #196
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteman View Post
Are they slowly dismantling the Camaro piece by piece for the worse...

first they replaced the retro steering wheel with a parts bin wheel...
then the put the lock controls on the doors like every other chevy...
now they replace the wheels with ones that everyone seems to dislike...
then they added a parts bin Nav System.....

What happened to the really cool Retro Camaro that everyone drooled over at the auto shows and purchased when it came out?

What do you think?
The Camaro was never retro in my eyes....and it's still the coolest-looking car on the road, imho.

...the new steering wheel is so much more comfortable than the old one. It may not look as hot...but it is better in terms of feel...

...Americans are used to having the locks on the doors...this isn't a "every other Chevy"...it's "every other car on the road".

...Be careful when you say "everyone". "Everyone" hasn't seen them in person, yet. I'm lucky to have seen them. They really aren't as bad as they look in pictures. But no doubt - will take some getting used to.

...We (that's us, as Camaro enthusiasts) begged, cried, and pleaded for in-dash navigation and touch-screen. Here it is!

I don't see any of the things you've listed as detracting from the look of the Camaro. In fact, if you consider things like the new dash for '12...I think they've enhanced the look! But that's just my opinion.....what is not my opinion is this:

Change is good. It keeps things fresh, and people interested. As long as people are interested, people will buy. And buyers = More Camaros into the future.

So, I'd ask you - would you rather have a stagnant (although great-looking) car that's not been changed for years at a time, and have it cancelled again...or would you rather accept some changes that might not be thrilled with (along with some changes you love!), and see the Camaro name prosper well into the future?

You asked what I thought.....