Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 03-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Simple Chuck First Use: Results are Impressive!

It got up to 45 degrees here on Sunday which gave me a great opportunity to try out the Simple Chuck I recently purchased for the first time.

In case you're not familiar with the Simple Chuck, it's a consumer focused water deionizer system from the CR Spotless company. I caught a very good deal on the unit through an Autogeek promotion several weeks ago.

I didn't have time on Sunday to do my usual foam canon, two bucket, Master Blaster wash routine, but I did want to rinse off the dust and road grime that had accumulated on the car after several outings.

I used my power washer connected through the Simple Chuck to rinse off the car with water only. I dried it using the Master Blaster.

To say I'm impressed with the results is an understatement. I cannot find a single water spot on the car. Pulling the car into the garage will typically cause some water to dripple out from the taillights and down from the side mirrors creating spots. I have zero spots in those areas!

Prior to Sunday, I considered the Master Blaster the most important tool in my detail arsenal. After seeing the results using the Simple Chuck, I may have to downgrade it to the second most important tool.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Cool thanks for reporting. How many gallons do yo estimate you used for the rinse? How many gallons do you expect to get per each filter?

I think I am going to buy a profesional deionizer from Absolute Water Technologies for $900 and the filters are $167 each.

http://absolutewatertech.com/silex-e...onizer-system/
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Cool thanks for reporting. How many gallons do yo estimate you used for the rinse? How many gallons do you expect to get per each filter?

I think I am going to buy a profesional deionizer from Absolute Water Technologies for $900 and the filters are $167 each.

Tough to answer those questions after a single use. I'll keep track of the number of washes it takes for the bottom two filter windows to turn gold and report that number back to everyone.

I'm using the Simple Chuck with a 1600 psi Greenworks pressure washer. The Simple Chuck does come with a pressure reducer to ensure the water out of the spigot is under 70 psi. I assume this helps conserve the filter media. The directions also say to only use the Simple Chuck during the final rinse. The unit comes with quick connect fittings so popping it in and out of the water source is fairly easy.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #4
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

I have been using the Simple Chuck system for about 6 months now and I would have to agree that it does a very good job and IMO is worth the money.

I only use this for the final rinse and am mostly using a 2000 PSI Karcher PW that delivers 1.3GPM. How many uses you get out of a cartridge depends on how bad your water is however I believe you get around 400 gallons per cartridge. I would guess I use around 4-5 gallons per final rinse which gives me between 80-100 uses.

The replacements are about $90 to replace so estimating it costs around $1 per wash to use. Definitely worth it to me!
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy8784 View Post
I have been using the Simple Chuck system for about 6 months now and I would have to agree that it does a very good job and IMO is worth the money.

I only use this for the final rinse and am mostly using a 2000 PSI Karcher PW that delivers 1.3GPM. How many uses you get out of a cartridge depends on how bad your water is however I believe you get around 400 gallons per cartridge. I would guess I use around 4-5 gallons per final rinse which gives me between 80-100 uses.

The replacements are about $90 to replace so estimating it costs around $1 per wash to use. Definitely worth it to me!
Cool thats good info. I wonder if pre-filtering the water with a whole house filter would improve filter life.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Cool thats good info. I wonder if pre-filtering the water with a whole house filter would improve filter life.
My guess would be yes since the filters produce the amount based on the TDS of the water.

The lower that number is, the longer they should last. Be curious to see how much.
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
I just got one too, I have been very impressed. With a black ZL1 and my daily which is a stealth gray, that shows spots like a black, it has been a godsend.
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #8
ReefBlueCoupe

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE MBM
I just use this RV water filter on my hose - $46: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That and a simple $100 electric pressure washer from Amazon strictly for washing/rinsing cars is perfect. ZERO spots through that filter. Much cheaper than a lot of other spot-free solutions.

Has lasted me two washing seasons already.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #9
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefBlueCoupe View Post
I just use this RV water filter on my hose - $46: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That and a simple $100 electric pressure washer from Amazon strictly for washing/rinsing cars is perfect. ZERO spots through that filter. Much cheaper than a lot of other spot-free solutions.

Has lasted me two washing seasons already.
The Simple Chuck and the professional system I am looking at are deionization systems, not just a filter. Deionized water is water that has had almost all of its mineral ions removed, such as cations like sodium, calcium, iron, and copper, and anions such as chloride and sulfate. The whole house filters can't get the cations. In areas that have extremely hard water like I have, whole house filters are good, but they don't stop water spots.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #10
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

As a big test, I washed my car the other day in direct sunlight. I used the Simple Chuck for the final rinse and to sheet dry the car. My Master Blaster was used to finish drying.

I would say overall my car was 98% spot-free. I found just a couple small areas with spots that were easily removed with ECHO2 in a detail spray concentration.

Prior to the Simple Chuck, I always washed my car in the shade. Even then, I fought water spots. To be able to wash in direct sunlight with minimal spotting is a real game changer for me.

As I said before, the Simple Chuck has become the most important tool in my detail arsenal.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #11
KirkH

I am thinking hard about getting the professional sized system to have for CamaroFest. Being able to wash cars without setting up tents is a big convenience.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #12
chrest

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
i need this bad. i rinse-less wash my car only due to my terrible water. you cannot dry my car off fast enough to prevent water spots at my house.
603hp/547tq
chrest is offline   Reply With Quote