Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-28-2021, 11:05 PM   #1
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Get M Garage Oil Squirters - Anyone here tried them?

I’m going to give them a shot with my rebuild. Just ordered them from BTR. Wondering if anyone here has tried these? Seems like a slick product and way to add oil squirters to the LS3 block. The benefits for forced induction seems fairly well documented. ZL1’s use them. Must be something to it.

I substantially hurt my engine about 2 years ago. (Story is here: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563071) Sadly, I’ve had it sitting in storage in my barn doing literally nothing. But I was busy with my 67 C10 project. Time to get the 2010 Camaro Kenne Bell back out (only has 14k miles)

New parts going in:
Callies Compstar Crank & Rods
Diamond Pistons 4.070 (Staying stock cubes)
9.4:1 compression
BTR PDS stage 3 torque cam
Get M Garage Oil Squirters
Johnson slow leak down lifters
BTR shaft rocker kit
Monster stage 3 clutch

Parts going back on or staying on (old build)
Kenne Bell 2.8 supercharger (was running 9.5 psi)
Zl1 driveline conversion (3.73)
LT Headers
Other bits & pieces

Looking forward to it. Should be a fun project and, hopefully, make some decent power when complete!
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:06 AM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I thought the ls3 had oil squirters already?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:16 AM   #3
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I thought the ls3 had oil squirters already?
I believe it’s the LSA that has the squirters.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:29 AM   #4
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
I believe it’s the LSA that has the squirters.
oh ok.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 08-29-2021, 06:54 AM   #5
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
LS3 = No oil squirter's. LSA, LS9 or pretty much anything boosted has the squirter's. They could also be referred as Piston Cooling Jets. They can be quite beneficial to any build, as they pull heat out of the pistons and combustion chamber. Stock compression, or non boosted engines dont see the cylinder temps needed to require them, so thats why they arent in the LS3 blocks. But if you're going high compression, or boosted, for sure use some or get the block machined to accept them.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:56 PM   #6
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
LS3 = No oil squirter's. LSA, LS9 or pretty much anything boosted has the squirter's. They could also be referred as Piston Cooling Jets. They can be quite beneficial to any build, as they pull heat out of the pistons and combustion chamber. Stock compression, or non boosted engines dont see the cylinder temps needed to require them, so thats why they arent in the LS3 blocks. But if you're going high compression, or boosted, for sure use some or get the block machined to accept them.
Good info, Thanks. Always researching for a future engine build.

Old 08-30-2021, 06:47 AM   #7
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
A lot of engine builders chose to delete the oil squiters for more oil flow to the heads. They dont come on lsx or dart blocks… food for thought.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:32 AM   #8
Little Walter

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
A lot of engine builders chose to delete the oil squiters for more oil flow to the heads. They dont come on lsx or dart blocks… food for thought.
Could that be because the LSX block is a iron block? I thought the dart block offered them. I know builders like Livernois and Hutter Performance recommend them on boosted engines, I do not believe the factory would just spend the additional money to add them if there was no benefit.
Little Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:39 AM   #9
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I think Thompson Motorsports doesn't like them and maybe even typically blocked them off on the their LSA builds.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...=588378&page=8
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:10 PM   #10
G8One2

Whatever your opinion on them, they do in fact, pull heat out of the combustion chambers. Just because someone, a particular block or shop, doesn't use or like to use them is subjective. It all depends on your build and what you're trying to accomplish. If your running looser bearing clearances, and thicker oil, then I could see there being a potential oil flow / volume issue requiring an oil pump that cant flow enough volume to keep things lubricated. Especially if you have lifters with axel oiling thus exasperating the issue of oil flow. I all depends on what you're trying to do
Old 08-30-2021, 02:13 PM   #11
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Whatever your opinion on them, they do in fact, pull heat out of the combustion chambers. Just because someone, a particular block or shop, doesn't use or like to use them is subjective. It all depends on your build and what you're trying to accomplish. If your running looser bearing clearances, and thicker oil, then I could see there being a potential oil flow / volume issue requiring an oil pump that cant flow enough volume to keep things lubricated. Especially if you have lifters with axel oiling thus exasperating the issue of oil flow. I all depends on what you're trying to do
In the discussion I linked earlier, it does say that Thompson does recommend 20W50 so they likely are in the looser clearances camp.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:44 PM   #12
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
A lot of builders are naïve to the benefits, and let's face it, for the most part Dart and LSX are aimed at drag racers only, who are only WOT for a few seconds at a time.

The OEM would be testing their engines at WOT for hours at a time

Some also wrongly believe they can starve the main oil system of oil...which just doesn't really happen.

If you're just doing a daily, fun car, drag race only...probably not a real benefit.
If you're doing a lot of say 1/2 mile, mile, or long duration WOT ( say a boat or something ), then they are most definitely worth doing
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:12 PM   #13
G8One2

They potentially "can" pull too much heat from the pistons and cause issues with oil temps, and keeping that under control can be problematic. Especially if you used a block fill or half block fill. Everything is always a trade off. I see no real reason NOT to use them IMO, but to each their own.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:20 PM   #14
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
They potentially "can" pull too much heat from the pistons and cause issues with oil temps, and keeping that under control can be problematic. Especially if you used a block fill or half block fill. Everything is always a trade off. I see no real reason NOT to use them IMO, but to each their own.
If you're at the stage of filling your block, the engine probably never runs for long enough to either worry about oil temps or the need for oil squirters though.

Certainly where they are easy to do, I'd be doing them. However....especially LSA/9 style...they do not like strokers.
I've a 3.825" stroke on mine, and I can barely clear the squirters. Stock stroke would be no problem, 4" not a chance. Although mines an LS2 block drilled/tapped for the LSA/9 style.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote