Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-11-2024, 06:52 AM   #1
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
TR6060 Question

First, I am very familiar with both the T56 and TR6060 having had several Camaro's and 'vettes with these over the past several years. I am no stranger to the 1st to 2nd grind but the 2ss I picked up a week ago is different. A handful of time already it has kicked out of 2nd when I let the clutch out. This is a synchro problem or someone has tried to force it into 2nd when the 1st to 4th is engaged? I put skip shift in last night and will probably change the fluid in the next few days. Most of the time this is maybe the smoothest 6060 I've experienced but sometimes it will not go "all the way" into 2nd gear and this is when it pops out when you let the clutch out.
Any help or advice here would be appreciated. Fluid suggestions too, I am leaning toward Royal Purple but in the past have used Redline. This car is 100% stock except for the skip shift I just installed. This car is just a cruiser for me, I don't plan to track it or beat on it in any way.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:40 AM   #2
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Never had any issues in 20k with my '17 2SS, nor the Tremec in my '16 C7 (~14k miles).

I did switch to Royal Purple when I bought the SS (bought used), and at 1500 miles on the C7 (bought new)

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:47 AM   #3
scott_0

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue Metallic SS 1le
my 2018 1le does this, but pretty much only when cold...
scott_0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:58 AM   #4
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I don't recall having an issue like you described in my 18 1LE.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 10:19 AM   #5
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
IIRC there was a thread about this very issue not that long ago, I think the user ended up taking it to the dealer for warranty service any there was indeed a problem with the synchros.

My '24 SS hasn't had any problems, it shifts like butter. As I understand it the skip shift (at least for the last two model years) is only a nanny indicator on the dash and doesn't actually lockout 2nd gear. That's been my experience with the car thus far at ~500 miles. I was planning on investing in a skip shift eliminator but it doesn't seem necessary.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM   #6
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
I know we like cars and most people here in this forum that buy a manual knows how to shift, but that's not the case for the rest.

Most manual transmissions are going to have problems more related to bad shifting than hard driving. Not pressing the clutch all the way, skipping gears, bad down shifting, grinding, forcing the shifter, resting the hand on the shifter etc. etc...

If the shift pops out, it means the engagement teeth are ground and lost the retaining angle. This slight angle, under load, pushes the gear inwards to keep it engaged. if its flat or worn out and the angle is lost or reversed, it pops out.

Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 12:50 PM   #7
JT6Speed

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS M6
When the car is cold this trans is definitely notchy (at least with stock fluid). The first few 1-2 shifts can be rough, but I don't force it. Sometimes going back to neutral helps.

There's a difference between a gear being fully engaged, and then it pops out, as opposed to it never really going fully into the gear in the first place. As I said, I've definitely had it not want to fully go in, but I don't let the clutch out, otherwise I could see how it won't engage right.

Ordered: April 2022-----Built: July 2022-----Delivered: September 2022

-Dual-Mode Exhaust (NPP)
-Red Painted Calipers (J6F)
-5 Split Spoke Bright Silver Painted Aluminum Wheels (56W)
-Chrome Camaro Logo Fender Badge
-Second Generation Front Splitter in Satin Black
JT6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 01:10 PM   #8
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
I would say my problem occurs when it doesn't go fully into 2nd, even though it feels like it did. I hope that makes sense, and I am trying to be extremely careful to make sure it is in gear before letting the clutch out and not "force it" into gear either.
I do have a 90 day warranty from Carmax and may pursue it with them if it continues to be a problem that I can't solve on my own. And again it is only on 1st to 2nd and cold is worse but it can happen once warm if I'm not careful.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 01:48 PM   #9
haggler

Drives: '23 2SS RSblue 6MT, sold '19 ND2
When its cold, I have the issue where it doesn't wanna go in - but usually that only happens once during the drive cycle, if at all. Skip shift has been installed since new. It feels like it is being stopped from going in, but I never force it. Usually I will go back to neutral and double clutch or hold the clutch longer and it will go in. I have an SS and it seems to take a while for the transmission to be fully warmed up. I'm not sure if that's because of the extra coolers or fluid. I think there is better fluid that can help like Redline d4.

5-6-22:1100,
7-19-22: 3000,
8-3-22: TPW 8/15/22,
10-4-22: ETA 10/13/2022
10-15-22 6000
haggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:14 PM   #10
JT6Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadyshac View Post
I would say my problem occurs when it doesn't go fully into 2nd, even though it feels like it did. I hope that makes sense, and I am trying to be extremely careful to make sure it is in gear before letting the clutch out and not "force it" into gear either.
I do have a 90 day warranty from Carmax and may pursue it with them if it continues to be a problem that I can't solve on my own. And again it is only on 1st to 2nd and cold is worse but it can happen once warm if I'm not careful.
Yeah I get what you're saying. IMO I don't think there's necessarily something wrong with the trans. Like I said, if you were crusing along and it popped out of gear, that's a problem, but to me, it sounds like it's not fully in gear to begin with, which is why it pops out. Haggler is right that sometimes you have to go back to neutral and double clutch.

-Dual-Mode Exhaust (NPP)
Old 03-11-2024, 07:27 PM   #11
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT6Speed View Post
Yeah I get what you're saying. IMO I don't think there's necessarily something wrong with the trans. Like I said, if you were crusing along and it popped out of gear, that's a problem, but to me, it sounds like it's not fully in gear to begin with, which is why it pops out. Haggler is right that sometimes you have to go back to neutral and double clutch.
This. The TR6060 just seems to have a second "notch" that you have to get past when shifting into second the first 1-3 times when cold. Something you could do to help is after you turn it on, shift through all the gears a few times
before you drive off.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 09:43 PM   #12
65ffr

Drives: '18 ram 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
IIRC there was a thread about this very issue not that long ago, I think the user ended up taking it to the dealer for warranty service any there was indeed a problem with the synchros.

My '24 SS hasn't had any problems, it shifts like butter. As I understand it the skip shift (at least for the last two model years) is only a nanny indicator on the dash and doesn't actually lockout 2nd gear. That's been my experience with the car thus far at ~500 miles. I was planning on investing in a skip shift eliminator but it doesn't seem necessary.

My 23 ZL1 definitely has the 2nd gear lockout, I put in the skip shift eliminator first week I had the car.

1100 10/28/22
2000 12/6/22
3400 12/17/22
TPW 1/9/23
delivered 2/7/23
65ffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 11:02 AM   #13
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65ffr View Post
My 23 ZL1 definitely has the 2nd gear lockout, I put in the skip shift eliminator first week I had the car.

Okay, very strange then. I have only experienced the nagging indicator, but no physical lockout.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 12:58 PM   #14
JT6Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
This. The TR6060 just seems to have a second "notch" that you have to get past when shifting into second the first 1-3 times when cold. Something you could do to help is after you turn it on, shift through all the gears a few times
before you drive off.
Yeah I've done that too. Even reverse I usually go into and back out a couple times as that is sometimes rough too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Okay, very strange then. I have only experienced the nagging indicator, but no physical lockout.
Yeah it's there. The message will stay on for a bit even after you pass the lockout window, so you could just be missing it.

-Dual-Mode Exhaust (NPP)