#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-01-2022, 03:33 PM   #43
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
If catch cans are soo important, how come I don't have one on any of my cars and they're all running fine? To each their own. But I thought these items were useless back in the 5th Gen days and I still think they're useless now. BTW, my 17 ZL1 is completely built, has over 33,000 miles, still on the stock oil pump, is now modded to 750+ RWHP, no catch can, and gets DD even in rain. Lol.

So yes, this is a controversial topic. No, there is no "best" this or that. All of the top catch cans do their job...even if that job is unnecessary and has no impact on anything. New brands are always gonna come out making grandiose claims that they're better than everything else. But it don't matter. Buy the one you like more or the one you get a great deal on or the one that installs easier or the one that drains better or the one offered in more colors or whatever. They're all the same.

Yes but your car is deafening loud and probably have oil coked valves.

😂

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:41 PM   #44
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
Ya he gets it. Sure he does. Just about the same as you promoting a product to get you tube clicks.

The mm mild can works exactly the same as your beloved Elite can, except it has a blow off for (just in case).

Anyway this has been brought up and rehashed a hundred times already.
Why is everyone so angry??? I'm not promoting anything, but I have been over that already.

Catch cans are designed differently, most with cost in mind. The insides of various cans are different, the MM, Elite, UPR, McNalley, ebay etc. Some cheap no name cans are similar, and some are not. You said "mm mild can works exactly the same as your beloved Elite can". If the cans work the same way then you could run an Elite just like the MM. Easy peasy, just place a one way valve on the 3rd port of the Elite so if there is any pressure it would just vent out as well. Just thinking out loud.

Why do you say I have a beloved Elite Can? I have never in my video, or this thread told anyone to buy one, I don't get it. Also I'm surprised that no one made any comment on the Apex can that was in the video as well. I put that in to try to raise some awareness on design.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:43 PM   #45
v8

Quote:
Yes but your car is deafening loud and probably have oil coked valves.

😂
for everyone today !!!!!
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500

Old 05-01-2022, 03:50 PM   #46
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
for everyone today !!!!!
See what I meant earlier. Right back at ya
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:52 PM   #47
Camaro1973

Quote:
Why is everyone so angry??? I'm not promoting anything, but I have been over that already.

Catch cans are designed differently, most with cost in mind. The insides of various cans are different, the MM, Elite, UPR, McNalley, ebay etc. Some cheap no name cans are similar, and some are not. You said "mm mild can works exactly the same as your beloved Elite can". If the cans work the same way then you could run an Elite just like the MM. Easy peasy, just place a one way valve on the 3rd port of the Elite so if there is any pressure it would just vent out as well. Just thinking out loud.

Why do you say I have a beloved Elite Can? I have never in my video, or this thread told anyone to buy one, I don't get it. Also I'm surprised that no one made any comment on the Apex can that was in the video as well. I put that in to try to raise some awareness on design.
Exactly my point. The elite can does work as well as the MM Can But the argument is how the MM vents, that’s all it’s ever about. And I would rather have a can that would vent in the rare occasions then blow out seals. As would pretty much any shop who installs these things.

ZX-10 simply thinks the MM can is “retarded” because it can vent to atmosphere.
It’s a smart idea, not a “retarded” one. It’s one thing to have a can that only vents 24/7 but that’s not the case..

Probably not a good idea to use that word btw either.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Old 05-01-2022, 03:54 PM   #48
Camaro1973

Quote:

I own both cans btw. I have tried both side by side, I saw no difference in oil caught. Then I put the elite in line right after my Mighty Mouse can and the can is always empty except for water condensation, it’s still on there as of today.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #49
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
@ZX-10R gets it, he knows. He has actually been on the forum for some time and contributes. The MM venting is a different technique that is easy to employ. Not the greatest for the tree huggers, but buying a supercharged V8 does not resonate with a lot of environmentalists anyway. I realize the venting only occurs when you have positive pressure with the MM, and most of the time the can is under vacuum. I don't know why GM put those weak seals in our LT4, as we never had that problem with the LS engines.

My video was a stock engine, heck I don't even have a CAI on it. Once you decide to modify then things start changing a lot, and builders place different priorities on things. Like anything cost plays a major role. If guys truly wants the best for their cars at high horsepower, they could entertain a vacuum pump to ensure there is constant vacuum on the crankcase under all scenarios. It actually adds some power as well, but it's going to cost more than just a catch can.
You referring to the Elite shill when you say "he" gets it.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:05 PM   #50
v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
You referring to the Elite shill when you say "he" gets it.
NO, I was referring to when he wrote "There are plenty of shops that use Elite cans so that's also wrong, and furthermore "x shop uses it" doesn't prove anything"

The part I was referring to is that if someone says "x shop uses it" that is not a good argument as there is no science behind it. That shop could have an agreement with a company for all we know, that was it.
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500

Old 05-01-2022, 04:08 PM   #51
Camaro1973

Quote:
NO, I was referring to when he wrote "There are plenty of shops that use Elite cans so that's also wrong, and furthermore "x shop uses it" doesn't prove anything"

The part I was referring to is that if someone says "x shop uses it" that is not a good argument as there is no science behind it. That shop could have an agreement with a company for all we know, that was it.
No science behind it? Respectable shops use what works best. I say that speaks for itself.

Old 05-01-2022, 04:08 PM   #52
v8

Quote:
I own both cans btw. I have tried both side by side, I saw no difference in oil caught. Then I put the elite in line right after my Mighty Mouse can and the can is always empty except for water condensation, it’s still on there as of today.
Nice build !!

You have a heavy duty build, and it was discussed in length before that results on a stock car will vary from a modified car. I got my results on a stock car, which probably never even vents, so the catch can is doing the work.

I think I'm going to do what you did, I'm putting both in, why not, I have them both
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500

Old 05-01-2022, 04:15 PM   #53
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I didn't read the entire thread. But I'm assuming the guy who is criticizing this ad post is doing so because of the way it was presented. If you guys had said something like "Hey Camaro6, we have a new catch can available" or something to that extent then I think it would have been fine. But to make a YT type post kinda is annoying. These YT guys make sensationalist posts like "OMG this is why I hate my Camaro" or "OMG this is the best knob shifter on the planet" or like "WTF is my engine destroyed" and so on. We seen Yolo D-Bag and many other YTers with huge following use these types of sensational and exaggerated headlines and it turns out to be clickbait or some other gimmick to make people click on it so they can keep traffic going thru their channels. Not many people on here like that or appreciate that type of approach. And I certainly don't want that type of approach becoming the mainstream on here. A simple ad post letting us know that you guys are making a product that is for sale and then posting the results and details is enough. That way we know what we're in for when we click on it. But the topic to this thread makes it seem like this is some random customer who, holy cow, just found the best thing ever...lol, and it is off putting. Anyway, that's just my opinion on what set dude off. And not for nothing, I refrained from even clicking on this thread when it first popped up because I immediately knew what it was. That's just my guess.

In short, advertisers should probably stick to just regular advertising styles instead of "OMG" "WOWZER" "HOLEE CRAP" style headlines...and maybe keep it out of the ZL1 discussion thread since there are plenty of more appropriate sub-forums where these threads can be posted.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:00 PM   #54
v8

I appreciate your comment, I do, but I feel the main criticizer of the thread was upset because of the results, somehow took it personally, and tunnel vision began to set in. It's ok, people get passionate about things, and that's fine. That being said, a lot was discussed and I believe, and I hope others do as well that there are no hard feelings between anyone in this thread.

I agree with your comment on youtubers posting empty videos to promote their channel, sensationalizing videos, clickbait, or a product. I hate that as well, and its very annoying and has no place here. Some of these large youtubers post misleading things, as they are not qualified, nor should they be talking about technical matters, as they don't have the background, so they don't understand what they are doing.

This was not like that. I have been a member of this forum for over 10 years now, you can see my join date, and my post count. I am also a licensed mechanic, so I'm not some ya hoo posting something that I know nothing about. I can gladly engage in any constructive conversation regarding oil separation and contribute what I have learned from manufacturer patents I have researched, along with SAE research, and university research. I have done videos on those as well, I'm impartial and just present my findings.

This video took a long time, and some effort to produce, and as a small youtuber I will not make much on it. We are probably talking less than a dollar, as the universe of viewers for this content is quite small, just look at the view count for this video. Why did I do it?? For the education, as I truly care about helping others, and I wanted to share my results on a stock engine.

Lastly, if people wanted to view the video fine, but I didn't make anyone do so, and gave a little summary in my write up so people who wanted to read could just do so. As far as keeping it out of the ZL1 forums, I think this is where it belongs. It is the LT4 crowd that is interested in catch cans. There are LT1 folks, but not as much.

I've said it earlier, I think this thread was a success as we had some great discussion on a Sunday and that's what this forum is about right? We should all be connecting with each other and sharing ideas.
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500

Old 05-01-2022, 08:32 PM   #55
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
No science behind it? Respectable shops use what works best. I say that speaks for itself.
Bingo.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:10 PM   #56
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
I appreciate your comment, I do, but I feel the main criticizer of the thread was upset because of the results, somehow took it personally, and tunnel vision began to set in. It's ok, people get passionate about things, and that's fine. That being said, a lot was discussed and I believe, and I hope others do as well that there are no hard feelings between anyone in this thread.
You keep saying that when the main criticizer has repeatedly mentioned that he didn't like the way you titled and presented the topic. Others have said the same thing. You keep ignoring it and trying to push that somebody was upset at the results. Nobody is upset at the results. Apparently the product you are pushing works. That is cool. However it is not the best like your title states. And you presented it in a manner that most of us dislike. Now maybe you are unaware of this which is why I informed you. I sincerely hope that you and others listen and stop trying to post sensational headlines. Because when you post that, even if you aren't looking for YT bucks or whatever, that is what it comes across as.

Quote:
I agree with your comment on youtubers posting empty videos to promote their channel, sensationalizing videos, clickbait, or a product. I hate that as well, and its very annoying and has no place here. Some of these large youtubers post misleading things, as they are not qualified, nor should they be talking about technical matters, as they don't have the background, so they don't understand what they are doing.
Exactly. Maybe your headline was innocent. I will give you that much.

Quote:
This was not like that. I have been a member of this forum for over 10 years now, you can see my join date, and my post count. I am also a licensed mechanic, so I'm not some ya hoo posting something that I know nothing about. I can gladly engage in any constructive conversation regarding oil separation and contribute what I have learned from manufacturer patents I have researched, along with SAE research, and university research. I have done videos on those as well, I'm impartial and just present my findings.

This video took a long time, and some effort to produce, and as a small youtuber I will not make much on it. We are probably talking less than a dollar, as the universe of viewers for this content is quite small, just look at the view count for this video. Why did I do it?? For the education, as I truly care about helping others, and I wanted to share my results on a stock engine.

Lastly, if people wanted to view the video fine, but I didn't make anyone do so, and gave a little summary in my write up so people who wanted to read could just do so. As far as keeping it out of the ZL1 forums, I think this is where it belongs. It is the LT4 crowd that is interested in catch cans. There are LT1 folks, but not as much.

I've said it earlier, I think this thread was a success as we had some great discussion on a Sunday and that's what this forum is about right? We should all be connecting with each other and sharing ideas.
You have a product that you are showcasing. There is some potential benefit to you. Judging by your comments, I'd be a fool if I believed that you weren't in some way affiliated with them or had absolutely nothing to gain. Nobody with even a small following promotes a product for free.

But all that aside. A new product is coming to the counter in an already saturated market. And there are some pretty big well established names that already have a good following that you have to compete with. So at best, it is just another product that works slightly different than the others but still does the same job. It isn't the best because like I said, other companies are already well established. At best it's just another option to select.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catch can, elite engineering catch can, mightymouse