Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-28-2017, 06:45 AM   #1
ICEing
Hugh Mungus WOT??

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Convertible Red Hot
Its difficult to keep up with new models and refreshes

Was just thinking the other day, how impossible it is to keep up to date in today's world. Whether it be iPhones, the latest high tech refrigerators, and cars.

Look, Camaro is about to have a refresh, and all those that bought a 2017 Camaro are about to be "out of date" and it would be noticed too. There's always that "well just wait for the refresh", then when you wait, a new Generation is around the corner.

If you have enough money for the depreciation and just buy and sell when a new refresh or gen comes around, I guess this isn't a problem for you. Just some thoughts I had.
ICEing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
There's an old saying that my mom and dad used to love called keeping up with the Joneses. Basically it means trying to always have the best of the best the newest and coolest. There's no point of doing that man if you're happy with your car and it looks good in your eyes just drive that and enjoy it. I kept my 2002 Z28 up until last year I always got compliments on it and I always had a fun time when I took it out. Bottom line enjoy what you got you work hard for it and it's awesome. A new model or refresh coming out does not make your car any less.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #3
Boone
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 50th Anniversary
I don't really care if my '17 becomes out of date. I plan to keep it. It's a 50th and there won't be another 50th year.

I do understand what you are saying though. Up until 2013, I bought or leased every successive generation of Maxima. Not counting refreshes. Leasing is an option but honestly, if you are going to try and keep up with every change to a car, you are going to go nuts or broke. :-)

Previous:
1999 Camaro Z28
1992 Camaro RS
Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Every man and woman must know his or her own limitations.
I personally can't see keeping up with minor changes but then there are others with the mindset of ' if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch'. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
If new models and refreshes of current models are that troublesome to a prospective buyer, that person probably shouldn't be buying cars, because there's always a new refresh or model just over the horizon. Nature of the business.

With my 2010, the only update that troubled me was that a year or so after I bought mine they updated the interior to include the HUD, even though I believe the inside of the dash had mounts molded into it for a unit, they just didn't have time to implement it before the first year's cars went into production. Aside from that, I never felt like I was missing out on anything when the 2014(?) refresh was released. With my month old 2017 2SS, the changes would have to be TREMENDOUS (like, make an SS weigh the same as a 2.0T & give it north of 500hp to start, and other not-gonna-happen stuff) for me to do more than shrug at the 2019 refresh. If it keeps the Camaro fresh for new buyers and makes them as satisfied with it as my car is making me, I'll be glad it's around. Regretful about not waiting to buy it myself? Not so much.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Lol, look at the luxury brands and them using letters and numbers. I can't wrap my head around all that BS.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #7
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
There's always gonna be that feeling of 'missing out' lingering in the air. I even find myself noticing other gen6 head lights on the road, and, albeit everso innocently, categorizing trims (4i to big dog) in passing. I've never done that before. Still once I upgrade to a 2SS either 2018 or refresh, which ever becomes financially feasible and with adrenaline red interior, I hope I won't look back... fingers crossed.

Last edited by LuvMI; 05-28-2017 at 10:40 AM.
LuvMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEing View Post
Was just thinking the other day, how impossible it is to keep up to date in today's world. Whether it be iPhones, the latest high tech refrigerators, and cars.
I can take your word for that without question . . . even though I never got on that treadmill myself. The closest I get is when it comes time for one of my cars to need new tires.

If a product does everything I want of it (or can be made to afterward) and isn't cluttered with things I don't want anything to do with, that's good enough for me.

That doesn't mean I'm "settling for less", either. More like I've "made the best choice for me", which I can do all by myself without things like marketing "help" and sales pressure.

Norm
Old 05-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Trying to constantly be on the cutting edge is an expensive and largely pointless, never ending game. I gave that up a lonnnnnnng time ago. My '87 is a 20, my '17 is a 50 (though neither are anniversary cars). I liked that bit about the '17.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #10
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Companies must love people like you who feel an impulse not to be "left behind" when product refreshes come out. :P

I still have my 2011 Camaro and get just as excited to fire up the engine as the day I got it.

I still have an iPhone 5S, a four year old phone from 2013, and it still feels fast and works fine for everyday needs. I also tend to easily drop the newer oversized phones when I test them out in the Apple Store. Make a small hand joke, sure, but I think phones with huge screens are stupid, and that's what tablets are for.

Not to generalize, but as an observation, the people who worked their way up in life to become rich tend to keep and get the most use out of the things they buy. I've been over some of my wealthier friends' homes, and they would still have a huge plasma screen TV from a decade ago in their basement. Ironically, it's poorer people who feel the need to have the latest and greatest. There's no shortage of people who spend their entire paychecks on new phones, shoes, and clothes, and run into credit card debt.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #11
smeech

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2006 GTO
I think there are several american cars that are well respected as they age...the Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, and probably the new gen Challengers and Chargers.

On the flip side, I have a modern GTO where we had no smaller (V6, I4) engines and the rarity of the model was the centerpiece for owning the car. No model succeeded it and it was a limited production to begin with. However, after almost eleven years, I think there are more downfalls to this situation: parts are hard to find, parts are more expensive, certain parts (even ECU related) are discontinued, etc. This is one of the reasons I didn't go with the Chevy SS (closure of Holden). There is a rumor that it will be succeeded but ill believe it when I see it.

Just take care of any car you have and enjoy it for years to come.
smeech is offline   Reply With Quote