Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-13-2024, 08:17 AM   #1
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Odd brake issue

Hey everyone this truly is an odd one. A handful of times after washing my car, using Adams Polishes wheel and tire cleaner on the wheels and tires and than parking it for a day or 2 the front brake calipers become stuck. When putting the car in reverse to leave the garage it take a lot of RPMs to get them "unstuck". And it almost becomes "unstuck" violently with a loud thud. Anyone else have this issues at all? The brakes function like they should afterwards. This has happened backing up and going forward.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:31 AM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
its rather normal for the pad and rotor combo on these cars. That moisture is going to lock them up if parked right way and allowed to sit. Ive only had one time that it was particularly hard to break them loose. I use the Z26 street pad and it's much less than the OE Brembo pad.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:35 AM   #3
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
There was a guy on the FB groups that recently just posted something similar. Part of brake pad got stuck to the rotor.

Not sure if you're part of the 6th Gen ZL1 FB group but here's the post.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7188...7752343722852/

I've never had this issue but I use Carbotech 1512 pads.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:36 AM   #4
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Drive the car right after you wash it down, heat up the rotors / pads / calipers, or get some Atom-Mac and spray it on before you put it away.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:40 AM   #5
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Don't wash the tires and wheels when the brakes are hot. Also, it helps if you move the car after you wash it rather than just wash the car and leave it sit. I pull the car out of the garage and wash it cold, then move it back into the garage and I never have this issue.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:29 AM   #6
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Don't wash the tires and wheels when the brakes are hot. Also, it helps if you move the car after you wash it rather than just wash the car and leave it sit. I pull the car out of the garage and wash it cold, then move it back into the garage and I never have this issue.
Just to clarify, and i understand you're concern with washing it hot, the car was sitting overnight so that wasn't the issue.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:30 AM   #7
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
There was a guy on the FB groups that recently just posted something similar. Part of brake pad got stuck to the rotor.

Not sure if you're part of the 6th Gen ZL1 FB group but here's the post.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7188...7752343722852/

I've never had this issue but I use Carbotech 1512 pads.
I literally just saw that haha, turns out these cars have an issue without driving it some before letting it sit after a wash. Either people don't wash these cars and than let them sit in the garage, or more people than not wash them and drive them immediately afterwards. I will make sure to drive it around the block a couple of times after washing the car. The person in that facebook group actually had the rotor split....which is crazy that you can't wash and than park it. Maybe some sort of a compound combined with the rotors
Old 05-13-2024, 09:55 AM   #8
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
I literally just saw that haha, turns out these cars have an issue without driving it some before letting it sit after a wash. Either people don't wash these cars and than let them sit in the garage, or more people than not wash them and drive them immediately afterwards. I will make sure to drive it around the block a couple of times after washing the car. The person in that facebook group actually had the rotor split....which is crazy that you can't wash and than park it. Maybe some sort of a compound combined with the rotors
I can't tell you how many times I've washed my car and then pulled it in the garage without driving it. This has never happened to me but I use Carbotech 1521 pads which is probably why. Different pad material doesn't have the same reaction as the OEM pads.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 10:32 AM   #9
clg82

Quote:
I can't tell you how many times I've washed my car and then pulled it in the garage without driving it. This has never happened to me but I use Carbotech 1521 pads which is probably why. Different pad material doesn't have the same reaction as the OEM pads.
Yeah very odd indeed.
Old 05-13-2024, 03:37 PM   #10
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Yep. This would happen on my last 3 cars, including this one. Just need to drive it around my cul-de-sac two or three loops before I park it in the garage.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 04:08 PM   #11
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Quote:
Same, and I still have OEM pads. Never had an issue. I would guess it may be the type of wheel cleaner being used and that its being liberally sprayed on the rotors too and maybe not being washed off properly.
Old 05-13-2024, 05:07 PM   #12
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Same, and I still have OEM pads. Never had an issue. I would guess it may be the type of wheel cleaner being used and that its being liberally sprayed on the rotors too and maybe not being washed off properly.
In my case, it's just water. Even if I just spray the car down with the pressure washer, it will do it. (I had the exact same thought and tested it.) Maybe it has to do with hard or soft water?

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 06:10 PM   #13
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
In my case, it's just water. Even if I just spray the car down with the pressure washer, it will do it. (I had the exact same thought and tested it.) Maybe it has to do with hard or soft water?
hmmm maybe, we have hard water down here in Florida
Old 05-13-2024, 06:22 PM   #14
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
I think it could have something to do with it. I wash my car with only deionized water and then it sits for days, up to two weeks. There is visible rust on the rotors, but they have never seized to the pads.