Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 12-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Mustang Chassis vs. Camaro Chassis

We all know that the current Camaro has a rigid chassis more so than any Mustang. But I haven't yet heard of the newly developed 2015 Mustang chassis being stiffer to help with handling performance. Any news on this.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
We all know that the current Camaro has a rigid chassis more so than any Mustang. But I haven't yet heard of the newly developed 2015 Mustang chassis being stiffer to help with handling performance. Any news on this.
I haven't heard anything either. We will probably hear more later on when they release the actual weight and power figures.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
JAZ

Drives: 86 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
I don't know about stiffer, but Ford has said a few things about chassis performance.
The target for the base GT was to be faster on the track than the Boss 302 Lauguna Seca. It is.
The S550 is wider and lower with a lower center of gravity.
The front fenders and hood are aluminum. Weight balance has been shifted rearward.
The IRS rear end and redesigned front suspension are similar to BMWs. BMW and Porsche were the reference cars for the S550.
Ford has said that other than possibly a few bolts, there are no parts on the S550 chassis that came from the current S197 chassis.
The big question will be how the S550 chassis will compare to the G6 Camaro's Alpha chassis.
JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Where did you read that the new base 5.0 is faster than the boss ls?
Novie LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
Where did you read that the new base 5.0 is faster than the boss ls?
Its from a Ford rep:

"Speaking with Automotive.com, Ford representative Brian Cotter indicated that the standard Mustang GT will best the outgoing track-oriented Boss 302 Laguna Seca. A short-run special edition, the Laguna Seca lapped its namesake race track - Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in California - in a hair under 1:40.

The new Mustang GT, says Cotter, will lap the course in even less time. The site says that Ford benchmarked the Porsche 911 and BMW M3 when it was developing the car's on-track performance".

http://m.leftlanenews.com/14-mustang...guna-seca.html
Old 12-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZ View Post
I don't know about stiffer, but Ford has said a few things about chassis performance.
The target for the base GT was to be faster on the track than the Boss 302 Lauguna Seca. It is.
The S550 is wider and lower with a lower center of gravity.
The front fenders and hood are aluminum. Weight balance has been shifted rearward.
The IRS rear end and redesigned front suspension are similar to BMWs. BMW and Porsche were the reference cars for the S550.
Ford has said that other than possibly a few bolts, there are no parts on the S550 chassis that came from the current S197 chassis.
The big question will be how the S550 chassis will compare to the G6 Camaro's Alpha chassis.
I think the best challenge for gen 5 Camaro versus gen 6 Mustang GT will be a 1LE versus the GT. 1LE can certainly be had for GT money, so I think its a very fair comparison.

But yes, the real good stuff will come a few years from now when we finally see an Alpha based Camaro which will be lighter than the current Camaro, versus the new Mustang which may not be much if any lighter, and may end up being heavier.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
JAZ

Drives: 86 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
...the new Mustang which may not be much if any lighter, and may end up being heavier.
I think with the discussion going on on the Mustang6G forum the odds seem to me much higher in favor of the S550 being significantly lighter.

There will be lots of anticipation in both camps to see what the weight difference will be between an S550 and a 600HP capable Alpha-platformed Camaro.
JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
EnlighteningYou

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
versus the new Mustang which may not be much if any lighter, and may end up being heavier.
Source for the information that it's going to be heavier or did you just decide that? I don't think we should take it upon ourselves to pretend we know things that don't exist yet.
EnlighteningYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlighteningYou View Post
Source for the information that it's going to be heavier or did you just decide that? I don't think we should take it upon ourselves to pretend we know things that don't exist yet.
Please look up the definition of "may". It was speculation not fact.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
As someone who honestly has no idea, do we know which version of "Alpha" Camaro will be utilizing?

I know it seems painfully obvious that the ATS' version will be the go to platform. However, since two do exist, the question should at least be asked at least once.

We all heard "Alpha" and assumed smaller. But how many consitered "Alpha" and same size? And even if this were the case, we all know the Alpha based car of even the same size would outpace and underweigh the current Zeta2 car by quite the margin.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZ View Post
I think with the discussion going on on the Mustang6G forum the odds seem to me much higher in favor of the S550 being significantly lighter.

There will be lots of anticipation in both camps to see what the weight difference will be between an S550 and a 600HP capable Alpha-platformed Camaro.
I've been floating around on that website as well since before the S550 release, and have been reading the thread on the S550 projected weight. That said, I haven't read much out of that thread in the last week or two, but up until that point the consensus was pretty much split between not being any lighter, and being heavier, with some either still thinking it could be a bit lighter, or just hoping it would be lighter.

I haven't seen much that says it will be significantly lighter. I'm not saying it won't be, I'm just saying what I've been reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlighteningYou View Post
Yeah I just decided it all on my own. lol.

No of course not. Lots of input on why I say that. 1) The car is just as big as the old one, minus being a bit shorter with more creature comforts added, likely better safety equipment, and IRS added. 2) There are magazine sources that have stated the car could have gained weight. No I'm not going to go digging the internet trying to track down these articles for you as I can't even remember the publisher name any longer, but they are out there I can assure you. Do I believe every word they say? Heck no, but I have to take their word into consideration. 3) Even some of the Ford faithful on the Mustang sites believe it may not be any lighter. 4) Ford has been fairly mum up to this point on weight and weight savings techniques besides saying the front fenders are aluminum. They have said the car is up to 200 lbs lighter. Well that could just be the Ecoboost version. Ford has also said they hit the weight "goals". Well...we have no idea what those goals are.

So there you have it. I don't 100% believe in one way or the other, but if I was to make an educated guess...I'd stick with what I said above. That the car may only be slightly lighter, to basically the same, to may even heavier. That's a wide margin there. If the GT is "significantly" lighter, being a good 200+ lbs...that will be very impressive to me.

There...now I've explained myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Please look up the definition of "may". It was speculation not fact.
Thank You.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
As someone who honestly has no idea, do we know which version of "Alpha" Camaro will be utilizing?

I know it seems painfully obvious that the ATS' version will be the go to platform. However, since two do exist, the question should at least be asked at least once.

We all heard "Alpha" and assumed smaller. But how many consitered "Alpha" and same size? And even if this were the case, we all know the Alpha based car of even the same size would outpace and underweigh the current Zeta2 car by quite the margin.
You are exactly right...I don't think anyone knows, but if they do use the Alpha long wheel base version which the CTS uses well then it probably won't be as big of a weight loss as we might be hoping.

I believe the CTS weight starts in the mid 3,600 lb range and goes up from there, so that is still good seeing as that is a good 50 - 100 lbs lighter than a base Camaro V6. Take out the extra creature comforts and what not the Caddy has the Camaro won't and it could surely be less, but not the 3,400 or less lbs the ATS is running at.