Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #169
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestown View Post
I'm still on the fence about getting shims for the 6 piston brembo swap, and having said that I couldn't even figure out how to locate them on the hard brake website. I had pretty much given up on the idea when I noticed you list them in your build. Care to share your hard brake search wizardry?

Looks like I need to update here.....

Shims: https://hardbrakes.com/index.php?mai...wCdakh3Epin5S1

I only got the shims because I wanted the red on my Z06 calipers to stay red longer. I am friends with a GM HP brake engineer and I was called out for going against his advise and using them. I was told the caliper is a huge heat sink to dissipate heat and you need to let the heat escape from the pad and transfer to the caliper so it may cool quicker. The Ti shields trap the heat in the pad.....I like nice things so I used them to protect the paint on the calipers anyway.

-Matt
Old 06-17-2016, 08:18 AM   #170
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Considering you do track, I'm a bit surprised, that you haven't done some sort of hood vent/port job, like a Hex, T3, etc.

I'd be 100% surprised, if this never crossed your mind before, so I'm more curious than anything else, as to why you have concluded to not do this?
I have been looking at and planning to add aero to the car for a loooonnggg time. I have a factory 14+ vent that has been in my possession since last year. I don't really want to cut the 13 hood and rig it in place. ACS makes a nice kit...but you have to run the rain shield at all time. I have been looking for a 14+ hood SS or even 12+ ZL1, but it has not been a priority.

Little secret for the track: remove the rubber strip on the cowl plastic at the base of the windshield while on track ONLY and this will help relieve under hood pressure. PUT IT BACK ON for street driving on you will suck in al the engine fumes, ect into the HVAC system and into your cabin.

General update:
Car is now on 18X10 Apex Wheels with 305/35/18 Nitto NT-01 tires for track days.
I have installed extended lug bolts @ 10mm hub centric spacer on the front so I can rotate this set-up

Parts in the garage that need fit, paint or install:
Z/28 look rear wing
ZL1 Lower engine splash shield
14+ SS Hood vent
ZL1 side skirts
Autopower Roll Bar.
Rear extended lug bolts
5 point Harness
Old 09-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #171
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Hi Matt,

I am also looking at Apex wheels, probably 19x10 et25 or 19x10.5 et22. I see you are using a spacer for your 18s, which I think are 18x10 et25. Is that to clear the front brakes or the strut tower? I am thinking I will be fine on clearance with the stock SS struts and the 19 inch options (and no spacers), but would appreciate your input.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #172
RJT2SSRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hi Dropspeed I follow this thread for all the good info you make available to everyone.
If you do decide to use a 1LE hood insert Gerry Mroz has the foam board one I made up for my car. Worked well for heat. The RODGERS body shop guys came up with a slick way to secure the insert. In your to do list you mentioned a five point harness. Are you going to install that after the roll bar or use a harness bar until you get the roll bar in?

Also do you mind sharing which harness you are using? I am leaning towards a SCHROTH asm belt.
2010 2SS/RS L99 CAI intake Stainless Works headers and Hi-flow cats CORSA cat back exhaust livernois motorsports dyno tune VMAX throttle body ELITE catch can GM clean side catch can 2014 lca BMR rear toe links PEDDERS Supercar suspension PEDDERS poly subframe bushings JPSS BLACK MAGIC rear sway bar DSS 1000 hp axles 1LE wheels Michelin 285/35 tires CTS-V front brake upgrade fuel rail flip heater hose relocation

Last edited by RJT2SSRS; 09-06-2016 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
RJT2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #173
FKNGRSY

Drives: 2014 1SS
Any pics of it on the Apex wheels? I want to run 18's for tire options but I'm afraid they will look tiny on our massive cars haha
FKNGRSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #174
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
Hi Matt,

I am also looking at Apex wheels, probably 19x10 et25 or 19x10.5 et22. I see you are using a spacer for your 18s, which I think are 18x10 et25. Is that to clear the front brakes or the strut tower? I am thinking I will be fine on clearance with the stock SS struts and the 19 inch options (and no spacers), but would appreciate your input.

I now have two sets (of 4) APEX wheels. I have a set of 18X9 and 18x10. The spacer is for the 10" wheels to clear the alloy knuckle (directly above the threaded hole that is used during alignments) as its is a diameter issue, not a backspace issue. I can't confirm...but general reasoning would say the 19" with .5" additional height clearance will fit over this knuckle. The second issue is the tire width. The 305s on the 10 bulge and are very close to the strut body. My 295s on a 10" sit more square and do not come as close.

Side note I am now running a 18X10F/18X11R with 305s and another set of the 10/11 combo with 295s...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT2SSRS View Post
Hi Dropspeed I follow this thread for all the good info you make available to everyone.
If you do decide to use a 1LE hood insert Gerry Mroz has the foam board one I made up for my car. Worked well for heat. The RODGERS body shop guys came up with a slick way to secure the insert. In your to do list you mentioned a five point harness. Are you going to install that after the roll bar or use a harness bar until you get the roll bar in?

Also do you mind sharing which harness you are using? I am leaning towards a SCHROTH asm belt.
Thanks for the complement. I have not done anything with the hood yet, but will keep that in mind.

The roll bar is installed and I had a brand new Corbeu cam lock 5-point, 3" sitting in my garage unused so I tossed that in the car...I have never used the SCROTH asm, but have heard good things.

.....I will have to locate some pictures and post them. Yes, the wheels look small.....but "looks don't make it go!"

Matt
Old 09-07-2016, 10:22 PM   #175
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quick picture update:

Rollbar installed......and I picked up a new stable mate for the 1LE: 1987 Buick Regal Grand National with 22K original miles. Neither car has seen much real attention lately as "life" has taken over.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2016, 11:42 PM   #176
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Thanks for the feedback on the wheels. Couple more questions: any issues with rear wheel bearings with the 25mm offsets? In terms of handling at the track, do you have more understeer?
Old 09-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #177
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
Thanks for the feedback on the wheels. Couple more questions: any issues with rear wheel bearings with the 25mm offsets? In terms of handling at the track, do you have more understeer?
Not at this time, but I have only had them on the car for a few track days.

I haven't noticed any at this point. But I have change items that would directly effect front understeer and rear oversteer. I run square tires with both sets ups, negative 2.1 degree of front camber, Z/28 complete suspension package and I have a Eaton Tru Trac in the rear which helps the car rotate under power.

-Matt
Old 09-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #178
RJT2SSRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thanks for the answer Dropspeed. Congratulation on the Grand National.
Guy I used to work with had one. Came to work every day with a smile on his face after that:-).
2010 2SS/RS L99 CAI intake Stainless Works headers and Hi-flow cats CORSA cat back exhaust livernois motorsports dyno tune VMAX throttle body ELITE catch can GM clean side catch can 2014 lca BMR rear toe links PEDDERS Supercar suspension PEDDERS poly subframe bushings JPSS BLACK MAGIC rear sway bar DSS 1000 hp axles 1LE wheels Michelin 285/35 tires CTS-V front brake upgrade fuel rail flip heater hose relocation
RJT2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #179
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT2SSRS View Post
Thanks for the answer Dropspeed. Congratulation on the Grand National.
Guy I used to work with had one. Came to work every day with a smile on his face after that:-).
I do enjoy it....Love the Camaro, but the GN was on my bucket list for the last 29 years.

Another brief update on my 1LE. I LOVE brakes and picked up a new set to give a try. AP Racing 9668 Calipers with 25mm pads.

Weight: Fully loaded calipers, Z06, w/pads, lines attached and mounting bolts on both, the AP calipers are about 2lbs lighter.

2 piece Essex kit rotor vs. dual cast V rotor (not 2 piece). The Essex rotor shaves about 4lbs

Note the 2 piece GM V/ZL1 rotors is about 2lbs heavier than the dual cast.

Rough savings of 12lbs total on my car.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2016, 06:33 PM   #180
acr3

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Dropspeed, You mentioned above that you have 4 Apex 18x9" wheels. Have you run them on your car? And what was the Apex model (AR8 or EC7) & ET of the wheels?
Thanks, Fred
acr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #181
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr3 View Post
Dropspeed, You mentioned above that you have 4 Apex 18x9" wheels. Have you run them on your car? And what was the Apex model (AR8 or EC7) & ET of the wheels?
Thanks, Fred
Fred,

I actually have 4, PS7 in 18X10 that I run on the front, but did run the 10s on all 4 corner.

I also have a set of 4 18X11 EC7 that I run on the rears. I picked them up from a friend that ran them on all 4 corners, but he used a spacer on the front and had to trim/shave a corner on the knuckle.

I now use the PS7 10s on the front and the EC7 11s on the rears.

Matt
Old 10-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #182
Chris93Si

Drives: 2015 Z28
Hey Matt, just came across your journal, I remember you from H-T back in the day. Think you got rid of your ITR for an Evo right when I got mine. Very cool SS.
Chris93Si is offline   Reply With Quote