Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #183
Chaotic73
BUMBLLB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I can accept that you don't like it; that's fine, everyone's entitled to their opinion but there's no way by any measuring standard that this design can be called "hideous". If these views don't make you think "Camaro" then what manufacturer/car model DO they make you think of?
The front reminds me of mid 80's El Camino, the body is was to square (needs more curves), the rear is only thing that I like about it which reminds me of a 69 Dodge Charger. But again nothing about this designs says Camaro except for the actual lettering that says Camaro.

It's hideous for a Camaro.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #184
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic73 View Post
The front reminds me of mid 80's El Camino, the body is was to square (needs more curves), the rear is only thing that I like about it which reminds me of a 69 Dodge Charger. But again nothing about this designs says Camaro except for the actual lettering that says Camaro.

It's hideous for a Camaro.
Like I said, I can accept you don't like it or it's not for you but the design simply doesn't fit the extreme term "hideous". It's purpose is to have track car/race car stying on a street-legal car. It actually has quite a few "curves" in it but it's basically a ground-effects double-wedge design so it's not supposed to be all curvy.

In this comparison you can see the front is a lot sharper, sleeker, cleaner, and more precise... nothing at all like a mid 80's El Camino. And next to the 5th gen concept car you can see this concept is a more modern design.
Name:  2016 Camaro comparison1.jpg
Views: 62366
Size:  68.6 KB

In both snapshots above and below you can clearly see how the driver's visibility looking forward and to the sides is greatly improved. The double-wedge design also generates greater downforce which will enable the car to hug the corners at higher speeds. This is an effect that Mark Stielow and the Z/28 design team put a lot of effort into achieving with the upcoming Z/28.
Name:  2016 Camaro comparison2.jpg
Views: 5540
Size:  42.8 KB

Comparing the rear 3/4 views you can see how thick and bulky the cabin is on the 5th gen as well as how closed-in the driver's view is compared to my concept. The straight rocker panels on the sides creates a ground-hugging low-pressure zone under the car which aids in cornering downforce.
Name:  2016 Camaro comparison3.jpg
Views: 42151
Size:  58.0 KB

Here's a 2013 Dodge Charger. I don't think anyone would seriously confuse the two if they saw my concept car on the street.
Name:  2013-dodge-charger-4-door-sedan-rt-max-rwd-angular-rear-exterior-view_100408315_l.jpg
Views: 3808
Size:  63.3 KB

You don't like it; I get that. That's fine; it's not for everybody. Thanks anyways for taking the time to view the project and commenting.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #185
Chaotic73
BUMBLLB

1987 El Camino

I didn't say a 2013 Charger I said a 1969 Charger

Old 11-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #186
Chaotic73
BUMBLLB

I seriously don't see how anyone could say they look alike.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #187
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
1987 El Camino

That's really really stretching it. They both have quad headlights, a grille in the center and two running lights below....and that's about all the resemblance if you want to call it that.

I didn't say a 2013 Charger I said a 1969 Charger

Again that's stretching it. The vague similarities are the blacked out back and two horizontal tail lights but that's not much.

Quote:

They don't look alike. They aren't supposed to. If they looked alike it wouldn't be an evolutionary upgrade, would it? There's a clear family resemblance in the front shape of the grille which gives it an identity link to the current 5th gen refresh. The side view is different; it's still a coke bottle waist style but sharper and more defined. The back is my offering as an alternative to the 2014 refresh back which I complained about. Rather than just complain I've offered something positive and constructive.

Unless and until the design starts to evolve beyond retro and what's current, the Camaro platform isn't going to make progress. My goal was to upgrade, refine, clean-up, sharpen and focus the design to something that looks fast, powerful, capable and looks like it can do more than run the 1/4 mile. This is a muscle/road GT that's fast in the corners too. It doesn't look like it's from overseas; it looks like an American design and it doesn't look like it's from any other manufacturer than GM, and within GM the only car family it looks like it belongs to is the Camaro. If this were on the street, and people didn't see it from the front, it wouldn't take long for them to figure out what it is.

Like I've said, I get that you don't like the design but you seem to be spending a lot of time in a thread about a design concept you don't like. I'm okay that you don't like it; okay? I'm not going to change the design because you think it vaguely resembles a couple of cars from the past. I don't agree with your assessment at all. I like it; I would buy it if they built it; if I could afford it I'd build it myself. I know not everyone would like it but that's fine; no matter what you do there's always somebody who doesn't like it. Somebody not liking it isn't a reason to stop designing or creating, nor is it a reason to give up the joy such a process gives.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 11-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #188
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
My Conspiracy Theory...

GM is feeding all this information to Doc, and using him and this thread to get feedback on some of their design ideas.

Ha!! I figured it out!!

Kidding.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #189
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
My Conspiracy Theory...

GM is feeding all this information to Doc, and using him and this thread to get feedback on some of their design ideas.

Ha!! I figured it out!!

Kidding.
Called this months ago.

It is genius though, crowd sourcing the design of the 6th gen. I mean - this thread probably gets more feedback in a week than the design tran could get in months.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #190
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
Quote:
My Conspiracy Theory...

Ha!! I figured it out!!

Kidding.
Oh so thats how GM came up with this
Attached Images

eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #191
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I like the latest rendition the only suggestion I have is that the front view needs some thing to "box in" the lower opening in the front. It almost looks like something is missing. I wonder if it is just a color perception thing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #192
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
This is your best work to date!! Awesome.... now if you could just take the front plate off.

tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #193
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
My Conspiracy Theory...

Ha!! I figured it out!!

Kidding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Called this months ago.

It is genius though, crowd sourcing the design of the 6th gen. I mean - this thread probably gets more feedback in a week than the design tran could get in months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eymang View Post
Oh so thats how GM came up with this
SHHHHHH! You guys aren't supposed to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
I like the latest rendition the only suggestion I have is that the front view needs some thing to "box in" the lower opening in the front. It almost looks like something is missing. I wonder if it is just a color perception thing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Well actually something IS missing... a lower grill. I haven't figured out how to make one yet with this software. And I haven't decided what style to go with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
This is your best work to date!! Awesome.... now if you could just take the front plate off.

Every crowd has a comedian.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 11-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #194
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Doc, when I said it reminded me of my ElCamino I was refering to the picture that you posted saying the rocker panels lent its design to two tone paint schemes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I forgot to mention in the above post about the side rocker panels is that they provide a nice opportunity for two-color paint schemes; especially for track cars.
That is all, nothing else reminds me of the old ElCamino.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #195
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:

They don't need to look alike, the 6th gen just needs to look more bad@ss than previous generations and being able to function as described by Doc's vision for what he would like to see for the 6th gen. Evolutionary should be the next step. I think he's got a great design, yet if it were to go to production, you would more than likely see a more scaled down version of what you see here. The proportions would lend it towards being a heavier car than desired. The low ground clearance would make this car a real pita for a DD.

I like the melting of the American Muscle/Italian pedigree styling, maybe it's time for the Camaro to be redefined as a top level performance vehicle with styling that is on par with some of the more high end performance cars but at a still affordable price. Fantastic work Doc! look forward to more of your offerings.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #196
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Doc, when I said it reminded me of my ElCamino I was refering to the picture that you posted saying the rocker panels lent its design to two tone paint schemes.

That is all, nothing else reminds me of the old ElCamino.
Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
They don't need to look alike, the 6th gen just needs to look more bad@ss than previous generations and being able to function as described by Doc's vision for what he would like to see for the 6th gen. Evolutionary should be the next step. I think he's got a great design, yet if it were to go to production, you would more than likely see a more scaled down version of what you see here. The proportions would lend it towards being a heavier car than desired. The low ground clearance would make this car a real pita for a DD.

I like the melting of the American Muscle/Italian pedigree styling, maybe it's time for the Camaro to be redefined as a top level performance vehicle with styling that is on par with some of the more high end performance cars but at a still affordable price. Fantastic work Doc! look forward to more of your offerings.
Good post and thank you!

The ground clearance is 4 inches which was the result of me mainly focusing on it being track capable. That would be awfully low for a DD as you stated. Here's a variation with a few modifications: I moved the entire lower rocker panels upward 1 inch so the ground clearance is now 5 inches, and I made them not quite as tall. Ground clearance in the very front is 6 inches. I also removed the blackout on the back so this is basically a more street-friendly version. This version also has the 20" wheels so if you switched to 19's that would drop the car back down an inch and be fine for the track. In addition to the above changes I reduced the height of the side scoops on the rear quarter panel a bit to accommodate the change in the rocker panels being moved up.

Name:  2016 Camaro Concept alt4b.jpg
Views: 3720
Size:  61.6 KB
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept alt4b2.jpg
Views: 3912
Size:  56.3 KB

It does change the look and feel of the car's stance; it's not quite as aggressive looking which is what a track car would look like, but it still has the basic look which is more than good for the street.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM