Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 04-29-2017, 09:20 PM   #1
Drysideshooter

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Chemical Guys Carbonflex

I recently put Blackfire Crystal Seal on my Camaro and am very happy with it.

I took my company truck to a local detailer yesterday to get a complete detail. It's a big one ton crew cab dually diesel. It's on residential and commercial job sites every day, in all sorts of dust and mud. It was pretty tired and dirty when I dropped it off. I couldn't believe how great it looked when I picked it up. I got to talking with the detailer and he said that since I requested a polymer type seal instead of wax he used Chemical Guys Carbonflex. He said he has been really happy with it. He said if I bring it back and pay them to do a wash in 6 months, including a touch up spray of the Carbonflex he will guarantee the finish and shine for a year. That seems pretty amazing and shows a lot of confidence in the product.

It's a fairly spendy sealer, but maybe it's worth it? Has anyone tried it on their Camaro?
Drysideshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Here's my take on it : you're starting to chase the "gloss God" as I call it. Nothing wrong with that , I did it for years. But when all is said and done it's probably a 20% to 30% more gloss/durability than what you have with Crystal seal. And that's being generous, i'm sure it's good stuff, but at the price you have to ask yourself if it's all worth it. A post review from the detail guys at autopia:

https://www.autopia.org/forums/waxes...c-coating.html
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:25 PM   #3
Drysideshooter

I'm very happy with the Crystal Seal and not really interested in anything different for my Camaro for now. I was just surprised at how great it looks on my company truck and was curious if anyone had tried it on a Camaro.

If it holds up like the detailer told me it should on my company truck, I will be really happy, and likely to continue to have them use it on that truck.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:00 AM   #4
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
If you want something better than CS, Car Pro Essence & Reload definitely has more gloss, did my SS today, all I can is Wow! I really like CS, but those 2 products definitely have more gloss...then hit is with Ech20 rinseless and you have a trifecta!

Either way though you are using amazing products.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
I thought CG Carbon Flex is a paint coating? BFCS is a sealant. The coating will last longer, though there are other coating options available that are much less expensive than CGCF.

Shine comes from polishing. While some protection products will enhance shine and gloss somewhat, you can't get the same results that you do from polishing.

For your work truck, I'd use Collinite 845.

For your Camaro, I'd polish it and then use whatever protection product you prefer.

If your detailer is telling you that shine comes from something other then polishing, I'd find another detailer.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #6
Drysideshooter

I'm really happy with the Crystal Seal on my Camaro, and will use it until the bottle is gone at least, and may just stick with it.

The detailer spent quite a bit of time doing some paint correction and polishing my company truck prior to putting on the Carbon Flex. Obviously that is where the gloss is coming from. I just hope the Carbon Flex holds up as well as he indicated it should. Since it's a dually it can't be taken through a car wash, and since it gets fairly dirty it most often just gets hosed off, and I hand wash it completely from time to time. If it holds up well I'll probably have him re-do it when he details it next year. He is an amazing detailer. He does a friends 100K+ ski boat once a year as well and keeps it looking like new. I'm not as interested in having my company truck look as well cared for as the Camaro, but I do like it to look decent.

My teenage daughter's (sophomore in high school) beloved, beautiful 1976 F150 4x4 threw a rod this last week. We bought her a new Civic yesterday and will work on putting a new engine in her truck. The Civic is a cool color called Sonic Gray. I'm going to put a coat of Griot's Poly Wax on it this morning. I've had a bottle of it for a while and never tried it on anything other than one motorcycle. Curious to see how it looks and holds up. According to Griots it's a combo of carnuba and polymer.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #7
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
I thought CG Carbon Flex is a paint coating? BFCS is a sealant. The coating will last longer, though there are other coating options available that are much less expensive than CGCF.

Shine comes from polishing. While some protection products will enhance shine and gloss somewhat, you can't get the same results that you do from polishing.

For your work truck, I'd use Collinite 845.

For your Camaro, I'd polish it and then use whatever protection product you prefer.

If your detailer is telling you that shine comes from something other then polishing, I'd find another detailer.
+1...polishing is what goves the paint the shine!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:03 AM   #8
SuperSteveSS

Drives: 2017 ss
ive had a bottle of Carbon Flex waiting to go on my hyper blue for a couple months now. Hopefully ill be able to polish the car soon and get it on... Im pretty excited to get it applied.
SuperSteveSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
I have Carbon Flex on my Camaro and it's incredibly slick.

We also have it on our Durango. That one has been on longer. It holds up reasonably well but definitely still needs to be taken care of. It's good protection but not something that you're just gonna rinse off and it looks brand new again. It should make clean up easier though.

Keep us posted on how it holds up.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #10
Drysideshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
I have Carbon Flex on my Camaro and it's incredibly slick.

We also have it on our Durango. That one has been on longer. It holds up reasonably well but definitely still needs to be taken care of. It's good protection but not something that you're just gonna rinse off and it looks brand new again. It should make clean up easier though.

Keep us posted on how it holds up.
It's been two months the Carbon Flex has been on my company truck. I have to say I continue to be impressed with it. I'm still really liking the Crystal Seal on my Camaro, but it get's treated much differently, and washed much more often than my company truck. My company truck is on job sites daily and tends to get pretty dirty, from mud, to just really coated in dust. This morning my truck was really dusty so I rinsed it off, washed it, used the paint squeegee on it and then dried with the waffle weave and it looks great. The dust washed off really easily, even with just rinsing the majority of it ran right off prior to actually washing. For a vehicle that get's fairly dirty, and not washed as often, it seems like a good product. I wouldn't mind trying one of the similar, less expensive products next time though. The detailer that did my company truck guarantees 18 months though on the Carbon Flex as long as I have him wash it and do a reload of some type at about the half way point.

On the Camaro I've been continuing to use the BF rinseless pretty much weekly, and then every few weeks doing a full wash with their soap. Car still looks great.