Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #15
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Right or wrong if you want to be a CHP officer get rid of them NOW!
Maturity, attitude and obeying authority is a big part of that job.
When you apply for a CHP officer, you will disclose you are a CHP Explorer Scout on the application. First place CHP will start asking questions is the sergeant at the Chico CHP office. You need good references not sergeants questioning your decision making skills.
When you remove the lights, show the sergeant and then write a letter of apology.

Very good advice.

One other thing: It does not matter what I or anyone else in this thread thinks in terms of 'is it legal?' -- the only way for anyone to truly find out is to go to their Bureau of Motor Vehicles and ask for the regulations - and, if need be, an official document with their approval. That way, there is no question in anyones' mind.

One more piece of advice if I may: When someone in an authority position tells you not to do something - it's usually a pretty good idea to listen to them.

The various lights available for automobiles is quite impressive -but they are best used in parking lots - as they can be very distracting -- and frankly, we don't need tons of distractions while driving.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #16
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
v6 - I'd listen to upflying if I were in your shoes.

How much you paid for them has absolutely no bearing on the situation. That was your (mis)judgment alone.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #17
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
WindyCityPilot

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS
If you want to a CHP officer at some point remove the lights....go in and apologize to your CHP Explorer seargent...admit you were wrong....and learn to eat the shi!t sandwich if that is what you really want to do with your career.

Everyone screws up at some time or another...it's how you handle yourself after you make mistakes that separates the men from the boys.
WindyCityPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #19
mel1
Yeah buddy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrisebo View Post
looks dumb anyway, take them out.
+1..As I always say....leave the party lights to the rice
Sometimes, trends should be left in the early 2000 era where they belong

2010 SS IOM L99,Heritage grille,Rear Bowtie Delete
mel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Quote:
When you apply for a CHP officer, you will disclose you are a CHP Explorer Scout on the application. First place CHP will start asking questions is the sergeant at the Chico CHP office. You need good references not sergeants questioning your decision making skills.
When you remove the lights, show the sergeant and then write a letter of apology.
IMO this the best advice the OP is going to get.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #21
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
Quote:

This is the best advice out there.......
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #22
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
Just can't agree any more. take them off.
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #23
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
This!

Take them off and write the apology letter. I would probably give a verbal apology to anyone that knows what happened. Tell them you realized how irresponsible it was....really suck up the "I'm sorry" aspect of it. Hit up the fact that you spent the money but yanked everything completely out of the car (then go sell it for 1/2 your money back). I would probably even bring the parts in wires in your hands as your apologizing.

You're talking about career decisions here. What you've shown is not only that you did something you knew was illegal but you are not willing to listen to your surperiors. Now it's going to take you alot more effort to gain their trust back. I'm betting if you did something similar (not listening to superiors and doing something you know was wrong) in the Military you would probably be cleaning toliets with a toothbrush for a while.

Take this as a Live And Learn experience.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #24
beany323

Drives: Camaro 2SS /RS/1LE
lots of good advice. esp. since you plan (or appears) to apply to chp someday.

If anything, learn what the codes are. show that you can lead by example.

gl

Updated w/ Willow Springs:
1. Nissan GTR Track Pack 1:19.6 2. Ducati 1198 S 1:19.7 3. Nissan GTR 1:20.3 4. Corvette Z06 1:20.4
5. Audi R8 V10 Plus 1:22.0 6. Ferrari 458 Italia 1:22.3
7. CAMARO SS 1LE 1:22.7
8. Shelby GT 500 1:23.5
9. Mustang Gt Track Pack 1:25.8
beany323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #25
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
People push the envelope and then get p*ssed when they get reprimanded. If the law states ANYTHING about not having LED lights on your car (regardless of color)....guess what, I'm NOT putting lights on my car. It's quite simple, why test the law?
OK I know we are currently just talking about lights but what kind of sheeple comment is this? lol Its the law, just do it. Come on, not all laws are correct, right, or fair. Be an adult and use your judgement. Why test the law lol I could make jokes about this statement for days.

As far as your situation is concerned OP take them off because you want a career. Sometimes we have to do things we dont want so we can have things we want more, like money.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #26
RBL

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
They are trying to help you not look like a 70mph joke going down the interstate.

2012 L99, whipple, Roto-Fab, Stainless Power headers, ZL1 fuel pump, cat delete.
RBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #27
tinnint1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Man that guy made it personal. Hopefully once youre a LEO he'll need a favor from you in the future and you can remind him how he screwed you over. Good luck at your job!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #28
cjt037
boost+v6=me=:)

Drives: Turbo'd 6er
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel1 View Post
+1..As I always say....leave the party lights to the rice
Sometimes, trends should be left in the early 2000 era where they belong

Its his car thier is no reason to say anything negitive. I have leds and i love them. The fact that you dont like them has no relivence to the above post.
cjt037 is offline   Reply With Quote