Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Gman5001

Drives: 1lt crystal red metallic
Blacking out the roof

I would like to get my roof blacked out but Im not sure how I should go about doing that. I know I don't wanna get it painted just yet incase I don't like it, so I was wondering if there is a decal or pasticdipping it would work. any thoughts

Gman5001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
vinyl
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
vinyl
+1

that or plasti-dip.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Gman5001

See thats what I was thinking but the place I went to for the vinyl said he wouldn't do it because he was worried that it would wrinkle.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
stray bullitt

Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
Is this the sort of thing you mean. This was vinyl, but done in the 70s.
stray bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
plasti dip
Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Gman5001

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray bullitt View Post
Is this the sort of thing you mean. This was vinyl, but done in the 70s.
Sorta but I just want the too and leave the pillars the color of my car
Old 01-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman5001 View Post
See thats what I was thinking but the place I went to for the vinyl said he wouldn't do it because he was worried that it would wrinkle.
Sounds like you just need to go to a different vinyl shop with an answer like that. I have seen people black out the roof with vinyl inside the ditch moldings and thought it looked pretty good.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Quote:
Stay far away from the vinyl guy that told you that. Talk about misinformation. If the vinly was laid properly and the roof was prepped as it should have been, that vinyl will serve you well for years. If you chose gloss, you can wax it as you would paint, but matte colors DO NOT wax or clean with any harsh chemicals whatsoever (you wouldn't put harsh chemicals on gloss either), as matte can just be cleaned with soap and water when washing the car. With any vinyl, treat it gently, and don't rub a microfiber cloth into it hard. You want to mimize the damage to vinly, and not produce swirl marks.

For a good vinyl job, it will cost between $300-400 to wrap the whole roof, and that includes the labor of removing the XM Antenna (definitely get this removed so the vinyl can be laid properly and you won't have any paint color showing near the XM antenna when you put it back on). However, if you remove the XM antenna yourself (be very careful and take your time. There is a DIY "Do It Yourself" thread on Camaro5 regarding how to get this done), you can significanlty lower the price of the install because you reduce the labor time for the installer. My installer is wrapping my roof for $180 since I already have my XM antenna removed (takes about 30-45 minutes to do) and my car side moldings removed (this takes 1 minute or less to do, as they are just clipped in. Be careful and slightly get your finger under the rear of the side roof molding near the back windshield, and it will pop out, and work your way to the front of the vehicle).

Vinyl is fantastic and can look very close to paint if done properly, and if the vinyl is of high quality.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
This is about as thorough as you can get!! God job Tommy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Stay far away from the vinyl guy that told you that. Talk about misinformation. If the vinly was laid properly and the roof was prepped as it should have been, that vinyl will serve you well for years. If you chose gloss, you can wax it as you would paint, but matte colors DO NOT wax or clean with any harsh chemicals whatsoever (you wouldn't put harsh chemicals on gloss either), as matte can just be cleaned with soap and water when washing the car. With any vinyl, treat it gently, and don't rub a microfiber cloth into it hard. You want to mimize the damage to vinly, and not produce swirl marks.

For a good vinyl job, it will cost between $300-400 to wrap the whole roof, and that includes the labor of removing the XM Antenna (definitely get this removed so the vinyl can be laid properly and you won't have any paint color showing near the XM antenna when you put it back on). However, if you remove the XM antenna yourself (be very careful and take your time. There is a DIY "Do It Yourself" thread on Camaro5 regarding how to get this done), you can significanlty lower the price of the install because you reduce the labor time for the installer. My installer is wrapping my roof for $180 since I already have my XM antenna removed (takes about 30-45 minutes to do) and my car side moldings removed (this takes 1 minute or less to do, as they are just clipped in. Be careful and slightly get your finger under the rear of the side roof molding near the back windshield, and it will pop out, and work your way to the front of the vehicle).

Vinyl is fantastic and can look very close to paint if done properly, and if the vinyl is of high quality.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED DEMON SS View Post
This is about as thorough as you can get!! God job Tommy!
Thanks .
Old 01-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
Gman5001

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post

Thanks that is good I actually think he told me he couldn't do it because he wanted me to get it painted
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
TCAT

Quote:
Thanks that is good I actually think he told me he couldn't do it because he wanted me to get it painted
Pshh, definitely run from this guy. If he isn't honest, up front, and willing to give your the correct information regardless if it costs him a client because he'll have to refer out, he doesn't deserve business.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
jackyl22
Jackyl

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Take a look at mine. I did my roof in matte black vinyl. The only pita is the shark fin. It's really hard to wrap, it lasted two weeks and started coming off. I used plastidip on the fin.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=253461&page=3
Maggie TVS2300, Texas Speed CAM, CAI Intake, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers No Cats, Stainless Works Retro Cat Back Exhaust, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR Lowering Springs, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Subframe Bushings, BMR Differential Bushings, BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars with End Links, 3.91 Gears, Moroso Catch Can..... To be Continued
jackyl22 is offline   Reply With Quote