Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want to see an automatic option for the ZL1?
Yes 1,312 66.30%
No 667 33.70%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #757
AngusYoung

Drives: IOM 2010 L99
If you do a quarter mile in 5 seconds, when the hell are you going to shift? Anyways a automatic would sell easier than a stick because alot more people can drive one(if they got a stick they might get into a wreck). I think alot of ford guys might get a zl1 if it has automatic because the gt500 isn't offered in an automatic.
AngusYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #758
Darkone

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Be honest. What type and calibre of person is it usually who asks that?

Usually young, punk, pimplefaced kids or pretentious low income guys who don't and can't own one anyway. That's what I've found.
Truth
Darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #759
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Be honest. What type and calibre of person is it usually who asks that?

Usually young, punk, pimplefaced kids or pretentious low income guys who don't and can't own one anyway. That's what I've found.

I get asked that all the time. And it's from this same crowd.

Even though it is a manual, and they get all excited.

I prefer the feel and control of a manual, but if I were to race this car, I'd rather have an automatic personally.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #760
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1/AJ View Post
DevilKnightFalcon

Any news man ????
Nothing yet. I figure I will give them until next week before I start bothering them again. Unfortunately I don't have a direct link to John Fitzpatrick so I have to go through fbodfather. He said he would pass along the news and I trust that he did. If we don't hear anything by next week i'll start bugging them.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #761
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggydoo View Post
technically still manual..the computer isn't telling the driver when to shift
I'm not sure i'm following your logic here. The transmission in an F1 car is just like the A6 in the Camaro when it is in Manual mode except it doesn't have the safeguards built in.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #762
CAMARO-ECSTASY

Drives: 1999 Camaro
i live in dallas, one of da biggest cities and there isn't any road courses in dallas. there are lots of dragstrips so auto for me cuz drags is what ill be doing as well as red light races and nobody over here in dallas cares if you drive a stick or auto. the only thing that matters over here is who crosses the finish line first
CAMARO-ECSTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #763
ck204

Drives: X5, FR-S
I vote for an auto tranny option. I live in Houston and the traffic can get really bad, driving a manual would be a huge pain in the butt sometimes.
ck204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #764
jpgoins

Drives: 2008 Malibu LTZ 3.6/6A
READ MY LIPS. DUAL CLUTCH AUTO.
jpgoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #765
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggydoo View Post
you guys are comparing drag times and saying automatic is faster.

I highly doubt an automatic is faster than a manual on the road course..which I believe the ZL1 was designed for..not the 1/4 mile run.
If it were, you would see more automatics in professional racing.

Wrong.

This car is basically going to be a Camaro with Cadillac CTS-V driveline and a better suspension. The CTS-V auto ran the 'Ring faster than the manual.

Aside from the 'macho-ness' or whatever BS you want to attribute to a manual gearshift, the auto is the better transmission in every performance aspect.

And then this crap about "Oh you are letting a robot drive your car if it's auto," or, "Oh that doesn't let you have true control over a car." Get over yourselves. Go out to your car, and pull out the wires for your ABS and the Traction and Stability controls. You may as well disconnect the fuel injection too and slap on a 4 barrel carb. Oh wait, a 4 barrel might be too high tech, better just go 2 barrel.

Technology advances, it is Ludditic to try and ignore that for the sake of some kind of nostalgia.

Better is better. I am not going to sink this kind of money into getting a faster version of the car and then avoid an option that could make it even faster. That's the point of this car, to be the fastest, best performing car around, and if an auto is what does that, then sign me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................

Last edited by djsnoflake; 04-27-2011 at 07:21 PM.
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #766
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
SLR McLaren, may have been the fastest production automatic car with a traditional automatic, no manual option.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #767
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Wrong.

This car is basically going to be a Camaro with Cadillac CTS-V driveline and a better suspension. The CTS-V auto ran the 'Ring faster than the manual.

Aside from the 'macho-ness' or whatever BS you want to attribute to a manual gearshift, the auto is the better transmission in every performance aspect.

And then this crap about "Oh you are letting a robot drive your car if it's auto," or, "Oh that doesn't let you have true control over a car." Get over yourselves. Go out to your car, and pull out the wires for your ABS and the Traction and Stability controls. You may as well disconnect the fuel injection too and slap on a 4 barrel carb. Oh wait, a 4 barrel might be too high tech, better just go 2 barrel.

Technology advances, it is Ludditic to try and ignore that for the sake of some kind of nostalgia.

Better is better. I am not going to sink this kind of money into getting a faster version of the car and then avoid an option that could make it even faster. That's the point of this car, to be the fastest, best performing car around, and if an auto is what does that, then sign me up.
Well said!!
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #768
ibznu2010

Drives: 2010 blk 2SS RS polished wheel
After all thats been said. I still want the auto. Most guys around here cant drive a stick any way so i am always on top off the line. You have to catch me.
ibznu2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #769
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:

Syncronisers? You guys talk about being a manly man and your cars all have syncros to help you shift. Pretentious is how I'd describe you.
Possibly. But it's red light to red light that you beat the Mustang. NOT in the twisties. Unless you are incredibly irresponsible. So, yes. For the most part, to me anyway, this car was made for the drag strip. If I want to really get into the road course, I'll buy a Vette.
I want dog gears.. they had dog gears and straight cut gears for my last car but I didnt have the money to get.. shifting without clutch would be nice..
though rev matching blipping throttle on down shift might get annoying
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #770
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
though rev matching blipping throttle on down shift might get annoying
Actually, it does.

Much slower too. Which is my point. Syncronizers made for faster, smoother shifts and yet it is ignored as a major techno event for a manual tranny. It can be argued that syncronizers are as 'sissy' as an auto. Just makes me laugh to here guys talk the smack when they don't even realize it's been made easy for them by nannies.