Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #15
Berean

Drives: Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
A nice LS7 in a Z28 would rock. Do not supercharge it but have be full of low end torque for road racing. And put a great track handling package on it. Would then put a price right between the SS and ZL1.

This.
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #16
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
If they do in fact make a Z28, I sure hope it is a lot lighter with full track package and a 302 cid and take Ford on head to head like they did in 67-69. Show what GM can do with a high revving 302 for road course racing applications. The Boss is specifically designed for road courses, so IMO for GM to give the Z28 name plate justification it has to go back to those roots.
Shu71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #17
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
I don't think the Boss 302 is a waste of money at all. I personally think that's its reasonably priced.

IMO you can't compare the Boss to a 5.0 because there's allot of features the Boss have that the 5.0 doesn't. Like for example the Recaro Racing Seats, Dual Mode Exhaust, Track Ready Suspension, and a factory Race Tune. thats just a couple feature the Boss have that the 5.0 doesn't. and the best part you get all that with a Full Factory warranty.

I don't think a moded/stock 5.0 will be faster than a moded/stock Boss 302.
The Laguna Seca version 302 is a pretty interesting animal. A mix of old and new technology. For example, it has dual sets of keys for running the car in two different performance modes, but the rear seat delete option with cross bar bracing and six way manual adjustable shock absorber valving is archaic in my opinion. Not practical for the street, and seems limited for road racing competiton. Besides, by their very nature just look more like aftermarket additions than modern factory designed hardware. It's still pretty cool. To each his own.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #18
10spokess
Wild and Cammed

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
A nice LS7 in a Z28 would rock. Do not supercharge it but have be full of low end torque for road racing. And put a great track handling package on it. Would then put a price right between the SS and ZL1.
that would be just like the Base Corvette, Z06 and ZR1 I dont see why they couldnt do that
Old 02-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #19
jpgoins

Drives: 2008 Malibu LTZ 3.6/6A
This is just MHO....There is already a DI V8 coming very soon. We have heard of different displacements, the most popular has been the 5.5l and the 6.2. Strangae as this sounds, I would love to hearken back the the high revving 302 in the 1st gens, and load a 5.5 VVT DI with some special cam, let it redline at something really stupid like 8000 rpm, put a DCT 8 speed (I know, don't be hatin') and watch that thing turn 12's.
jpgoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #20
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
I don't think the Boss 302 is a waste of money at all. I personally think that's its reasonably priced.

IMO you can't compare the Boss to a 5.0 because there's allot of features the Boss have that the 5.0 doesn't. Like for example the Recaro Racing Seats, Dual Mode Exhaust, Track Ready Suspension, and a factory Race Tune. thats just a couple feature the Boss have that the 5.0 doesn't. and the best part you get all that with a Full Factory warranty.

I don't think a moded/stock 5.0 will be faster than a moded/stock Boss 302.
i know what your are saying. i guess i really wanted the z/28 to be better then isn't going to be
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #21
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCamaroZ28 View Post
The Z/28 should be a car with 475HP, suspension capable of over 1g, weight reduction, lighter rims, great braking, short throw shifter, special seats, new hood/spoiler, full length racing stripes mandatory, (like convertible concept) splitters, wider tires, special exhaust, and anything else to make it a true attainable top-level drivers car. That right there is enough to make people forget about the Boss and run to the Z28.
+1
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #22
Mankind
Whats a Millwright?

Drives: 2LT/RS SIM, 05 Wht Denali
I want the Z/28 when/if it comes out, not the ZL1. Pull the LSa, drop a pumped up LS7, and put the car on a factory diet.....I'll buy it, as long as it has the Z/28 moniker on it. Or just wait til the 6th gen platform comes out and build it lighter. I just hate to have to wait that long.
Mankind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #23
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The only thing I'll say is this....

I've seen too many comments today dogging on the ZL1 because of its name, or a number of other unknowns at this point. These comments are in the minority -- but in my opinon, any one of them is too many.

So I ask:

Whatever happens...please don't take out your passionate frustrations on other members...other Camaro drivers...other "family". From the LS to the ZL1...they're all CAMAROS....and I don't think anyone here can deny that every offering in the Camaro line is absolutely amazing in its own right.

Know that the Camaro team is as passionate, and enthusiastic as you are - and that they're listening.

And remember the name Camaro means "friend, pal, or comrade", as Fbodfather always says. Enjoy what we have, look to the future, and don't be nasty about it.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #24
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange-prince View Post
the Z28 should come with lsx 454 from factory
Well, short stroke smaller cubed high rpm engines with close ratio gear boxes are best suited for the twisties...long stroke big cube motors run best down the straightaways. The smaller outruns the bigger in turns, and visa versa in the straights. Ford is producing a high reving short stroke 302 for the Boss 302, Chevy stopped making an equivalent along time ago. So.....whats is gonna be then for the Z28....current LS displacements are too big for true road track racing IMHO. I can only wonder what they are gonna cook up!.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #25
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The only thing I'll say is this....

I've seen too many comments today dogging on the ZL1 because of its name, or a number of other unknowns at this point. These comments are in the minority -- but in my opinon, any one of them is too many.

So I ask:

Whatever happens...please don't take out your passionate frustrations on other members...other Camaro drivers...other "family". From the LS to the ZL1...they're all CAMAROS....and I don't think anyone here can deny that every offering in the Camaro line is absolutely amazing in its own right.

Know that the Camaro team is as passionate, and enthusiastic as you are - and that they're listening.

And remember the name Camaro means "friend, pal, or comrade", as Fbodfather always says. Enjoy what we have, look to the future, and don't be nasty about it.

Tags
z28, zl1