Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
You're still getting a large American V8 engine, doesn't get much better than that.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Thanks a lot for these answers you might think are not helpful... actually, they are! Everything making me thinking in the right direction is good.

Concerning the price, well, it's not an issue, I could even buy a ZR1 but I'm in love with the Camaro.
And "daily driver" ... well, actually, I do not drive daily! I live in a city where a car is absolutely useless. Meaning the Camaro will be a for fun only car. Wife think I shouldn't buy a car, brothers think I should buy a SS ... and I, am lost!!

Life is supposed to be funny! And your awesome pics are nightmare to my brain!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #17
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
First the Zed is not twice the price. I had a 10 2ss and really liked it,but there is absolutely no comparison, to me anyway. twenty g's more for the z, and you get it back in suspension, styling and power .
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #18
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
I traded my Black/IOM 11' 2SS for a SW 13 ZL1 - best decision I ever made!!

Last edited by Modern07; 04-19-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Modern07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK

Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
ZL1 IS MY DAILY DRIVER HERE IN COLORADO. IT IDLES LIKE A KITTEN AND RUNS LIKE A JAGUAR ATTACKING AN ANTELOPE!!!
BUY THE ZL1
Old 04-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
WLNY

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
Thanks a lot for these answers you might think are not helpful... actually, they are! Everything making me thinking in the right direction is good.

Concerning the price, well, it's not an issue, I could even buy a ZR1 but I'm in love with the Camaro.
And "daily driver" ... well, actually, I do not drive daily! I live in a city where a car is absolutely useless. Meaning the Camaro will be a for fun only car. Wife think I shouldn't buy a car, brothers think I should buy a SS ... and I, am lost!!

Life is supposed to be funny! And your awesome pics are nightmare to my brain!
If is purely for pleasure, it's either a ZL1 now or Z28 later. Or get both if money isn't an issue. I think if you ask SS owners if they had the money would they get a ZL1 or not, most would get a ZL1 without thought. The problem is you've never seen a ZL1 in person, they are physically much more imposing than an SS. I bought my ZL1 for a "fun" car over the 911, GT-R, Challenger SRT8, GT500, M3, and the new Viper. Although I will likely get the new Stingray at some point, I'll always keep my ZL1.
WLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #21
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
Hi guys,

just wanted your thoughts about something.

I'm working on buying a ZL1 here in Europe. Was almost about to sign the check but more and more people tell me: take the SS, not the ZL1, because the ZL1 has a supercharger and TRUE american muscle is about atmo engines.

ZL1 would be an heretic car then. Besides, I trully love ZL1 front fascia but feel like the back wing on the trunk looks kinda "ricer" (i've never seen a ZL1 in person) and I love the kinda "flat" SS trunk.

People also tend to say that 580 hp as a daily driver is not possible.

So, what's your thoughts, you american people about the truth on muscle/pony cars?

Thx

(Ps: yeah, thought about putting a ZL1 front fascia on a SS, but THAT is heresy!)

the ZL1 is night and day more car than the SS. the only thing that makes it not an all season car are the tires. they are horrible in inclimate weather change those and it is drivable. the power is pretty smooth and nice to drive.

the proabably with the SS is just the fact it does not do anything well stock IMO.

the 1le is worth a look.

Now the SS is a good starting point to mod a car from but as delivered I would have tore into it on day one. wheels, tires, full suspension, heads, cam headers or superchanger right out the gate. I would have spend 10k the next day on the car. then you are just massivly upsidedown in a car right out the gate.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #22
HelloWorld

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #2046
I've never driven the SS outside of about a week of rental back in 2010 so I can't compare them really but as previously mentioned the ZL1 makes a great DD. Though I've found that steep driveways or garage entrances will make you want to enter at an angle to avoid the front splitter touching the ground. Others have mentioned the tire issue already.
HelloWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #23
RonnieSVT

Drives: 2001 Lightning
If price doesnt matter then get the z/28 and a daily driver
RonnieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #24
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
I will sell you my SS and I will buy a ZL1........ Sound good lol
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #25
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
I think most of the guys here have made pretty decent points. Some have missed the mark a bit. The Camaro SS was the top of the line camaro from it reintroduction in '09 until the ZL1 was released in '12. If you are looking for a "fun" car as you put it, then you had the answer all along. If money is not the issue, then the term "fun" surely is not relative. The Z TURNS HEADS! It is an absolute mechanical marvel. It's affordable American Muscle in its evolutionary prime. It can be as delicate or as brutish as you need. As far as the tires go, ditch em right away. They are great tires, but the weather issue and the treadlife make them pretty worthless to most people. I went with Michelin Pilot Super Sports as soon as I could and I haven't regretted that decision yet. Those tires are a bit pricey, but as you stated...you've got a little money to play with. One guy said the Z is only 25-50% more fun than the SS. I completely disagree. When you see an SS (just plain stock) driving down the road today, is there anyone who turns and says DAMN that is a nice Fing car? No, because they see hundreds of them everyday. When you see a ZL1 coming, you practically break your neck to see it pass. From the inside out, the car just commands more attention and definitely provides for a more thrilling ride. I think that the ZL1 is 100% more fun than an SS because it's 100% more car. "Premium" interior features, new suspension system, awesome wheel choices, redesigned aero-dynamic exterior, +154 HP, beefed up transmission, updated Tap-Shift technology, stock coolers for both the tranny and the rear diff, bigger brakes, dual-mode quad exhaust. I think that the ZL1 is probably 25-50% better than a SS/1LE, and that's only because the 1LE borrowed features from the ZL1! But, when talking about just the SS and the ZL1....it's like comparing apples to oranges. By the way...I drive my ZL1 everyday and I'm still not tired of it!

Last edited by Faster12; 04-20-2013 at 06:20 AM. Reason: More info
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #26
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
And don't forget the PTM's in the ZL1 coupe.
Mode 5 is DESIGNED for drag racing on a well prepped track!! Straight from the factory and covered by warranty.

How many other cars can make that claim.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #27
#737 ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp-ZL1 View Post
I live in Germany and I am an American. I drive my ZL1 and have not problems with it being my daily driver. The only thing I have to deal with is all the looks that I get from the German's. Which is not a problems except when you are trying to get in the Gate of an american Base and the Gate gaurd wants to look over your car and pulls you into the auto check so he can get a better look.

As for Muscle cars and V8 car either N/A or Blown works for me. Just as long as it's fast and loud.

The other day we did a cruise with other American muscle cars and after the cruise we went our ways. I jump on the Autobahn and had some fun with BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes. I want to see a Porchse or two but didn't.

Get the ZL1 and you will not be disappointed.

well to be honest, I have nothing against
injection but I much rather be blown also.
#737 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #28
ernie scar

Drives: Chevy/Dodge/Ford
Get the ZL1. As far as the rear spoiler is concerned, it may look a little on the big side but this is more of a necessity than ornamental function.

With a car that has this much HP, that spoiler helps keep the rear of the car on the ground in the way of down force at high speeds.

Don’t listen to the guys that are telling you to get the SS over the ZL1.
ernie scar is offline   Reply With Quote