Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #29
solobaric

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Am pretty I interested in this package. But I was wondering how we can get away with doing a lower pulley swap without tuning. Does the computer compensate for the extra boost on its own? Thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #30
Blown355

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by solobaric View Post
Am pretty I interested in this package. But I was wondering how we can get away with doing a lower pulley swap without tuning. Does the computer compensate for the extra boost on its own? Thanks!
The computer will compensate to a certain extent. I have a verified using HP Tuners and a dyno, that my car is not leaning out with a 8.6 lower pulley.
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #31
justdoit

Drives: zl 1
What fuel does it take to be safe with 8.6
justdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #32
KD Innovations

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2009 CTS-V
You may get away with very minimal mods without recalibrating the car but ultimately the best science it to at least put the car on a wide band and observe the air/fuel ratio before and after and mods.
I have added a 90mm TB to these cars and actually lost 10 RWHP. Each car certainly can react somewhat differently. I would at least measure your AFR and HP gain/loss before just modding away on a $60,000 car or even a $10,000 car.
KD Innovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #33
Blown355

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
I had Exxon 93 in mine.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #34
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardWS6 View Post
How do you get this without losing the warranty? Thanks!
Honestly, Anything you do to the car can jeopardize your warranty, if it is related to the failure in question.

Everyone is of the opinion that as soon as you Custom tune your car, a Gremlin comes to your house and steals you warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by solobaric View Post
GM has tuned beyond what the car was delivered with for power, installing, either just a 10% over pulley, or a Rotofab and 5% pulley is good on 93 octane fuel.

I have done extensive testing, and Logging on my own ZL-1 to Verify.

With Higher Octane like 97 you can run the Rotfab, and a 10% overdrive crank pulley, We achieve this octane by adding the appropriate amount of Torco Race fuel concentrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
If this is your only mod 93.

Thank you for your interest in JRE Products.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #35
KD Innovations

Just keep a stock tune file and stock parts. If you have a big issue requiring you to bring the car to a dealer you can always revert back. What they will always notice is non-stock parts, such as an intake, then it's their call. If you pop a motor, you will likely not receive a replacement under warranty with any mods.
They are least likely to look at a tune vs hard parts at all. In fact they actually have no idea how to even look 99% of the time. At that point they have already noticed the modifications and you are beyond just a service call at this point. Then it is up top each man and his own conscience.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #36
KD Innovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown355 View Post
I had Exxon 93 in mine.

What is your AFR?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #37
Blown355

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Innovations View Post
What is your AFR?
12.2@3000 rpm, slowly working its way down to 11.2@6200 rpm.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #38
RonnieSVT

Drives: 2001 Lightning
Sorry anyone who posts they are modding their car deserves their warrenty voided GM is watching please post that you changed your mind

Good Luck !
RonnieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #39
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieSVT View Post
Sorry anyone who posts they are modding their car deserves their warrenty voided GM is watching please post that you changed your mind

Good Luck !

The aftermarket part has to be proven as the cause of the failure. The dealer just can't say you have an aftermarket intake we can't fix your A/C unit or power steering unit. If you grenade this engine it is more likely more serious than just adding a CAI. The OBDII stores all that info anyway IIRC?
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #40
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp ZL1 View Post
The aftermarket part has to be proven as the cause of the failure. The dealer just can't say you have an aftermarket intake we can't fix your A/C unit or power steering unit. If you grenade this engine it is more likely more serious than just adding a CAI. The OBDII stores all that info anyway IIRC?
I think this is a widespread misconception. The MM warranty act is intended to prevent dealers from denying warranty claims for using aftermarket parts that met stock specs, like air filters, oil filters, shocks, etc. It's intention wasn't to protect owners who purchase parts that increase performance. Its easy to say the burdon is on GM if a failure occurs, but I'm sure it would be a headache and a battle if you added a CAI and there was an engine failure and GM said they wouldn't pay for it. Hopefully that wouldn't happen, but it could.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #41
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

Good Luck !
?? Deserves to have warranty voided? This entire website is home to people posting about modifications and changes they've done!

At worst, I would say some of the more extreme modification people should not hope to have a warranty honored if something related goes wrong. But I don't think most do, anyways.

Besides, GM isn't tagging people in their system with 'warranty void' based on comments here.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #42
gearhead08

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 and 2013 GT500
Quote:

Good Luck !
More like anyone thats stupid enough to leave there car with a cai and other simple hp mods that dont revert back to stock if their engine blows( if it does that is) deserves to be denied warranty work.
gearhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote