Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
Jsmith18

Drives: 2013 Camaro LFX
Angry 89 in 55

I was on the road to merge with an Interstate and there is a speed trap of about 5 troopers waiting with a plane in the sky clocking people. i got a ticket saying I was going 89 in a 55 with a mandatory court appearance. this is my first time being pulled over. Yes, i know I'm an idiot for driving that fast. Could someone please explain to me my options and what the best course of action is?
Jsmith18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
ELIC1
Account Suspended

Drives: black and silver
shut up and pay the tixx... and move on. or get a lawyer to plea it down. that's your only 2 options
ELIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
NC_Nole

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6
A lawyer is your best friend here.
NC_Nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
USMUCL

Drives: 2014 Red Camaro 1SS 1LE
Every state is different. But, if you can avoid "reckless driving" and just plea to a regular speeding ticket, I'd count my blessings if I were you.
USMUCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I'd get in touch with a lawyer. The goal is to reduce the judgement from a reckless (if that's how the ticket was written) to something more tenable in terms of insurance and keep what could be a misdemeanor off your record. If you're a first time offender and have no history, chances are better that they won't throw the book at you, but nobody can guarantee that.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Nole View Post
A lawyer is your best friend here.
Show up and see what the DA offers, if your license is clean they may take it out of the speed category. Having points isn't a big deal, what type of points is what's important. Speeding tickets are one of the worse kind of points, and your insurance definitely goes up. Otherwise, lawyer up.

Did you just get a speeding ticket or also reckless driving?

Don't EVER just pay any ticket. At least plead not guilty and see what the court says.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Dmpsix beat me to it. That's a great site! ... Get a lawyer, get the charges reduced or dropped all together. Good luck! Hope you beat the road tax, because that's all it is.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Lawyer up!

trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #9
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
I did the exact same thing once, 89 in a 55, (if memory serves me correct he only wrote me for 84 mph to avoid a reckless driving charge) I was young and dumb and in a hurry to get home. LESSON LEARNED! I appeared in court, admitted guilt, paid the ticket, and the judge allowed me to attend a "safe driving course" which lasted a day so that I could have the points waived. It was well worth missing the points and added insurance costs that would have followed.

That was my 3rd and final speeding ticket in a 3 month time span. I had just bought a house and was trying to get it all remodeled by myself before our apartment lease ended and we would have to move in. I was driving 30 minutes to work in the am, working 10 hours, then driving 40 minutes to my new house and working on it 4-6 hours, and then driving close to an hour back to the apartment after midnight. I tried to eat and sleep a little bit too lol. I did that for nearly 3 months, and was dog tired, and just wanted to get home. Not an excuse, and it was still breaking the law, so I had to pay the piper!

Fast forward nearly 10 years, and I have a much different outlook on speeding and how I drive, especially with a little one in her car seat behind me
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #10
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Could have tried this with your license and registration.

trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #11
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
I did the exact same thing once, 89 in a 55, (if memory serves me correct he only wrote me for 84 mph to avoid a reckless driving charge) I was young and dumb and in a hurry to get home. LESSON LEARNED! I appeared in court, admitted guilt, paid the ticket, and the judge allowed me to attend a "safe driving course" which lasted a day so that I could have the points waived. It was well worth missing the points and added insurance costs that would have followed.

That was my 3rd and final speeding ticket in a 3 month time span. I had just bought a house and was trying to get it all remodeled by myself before our apartment lease ended and we would have to move in. I was driving 30 minutes to work in the am, working 10 hours, then driving 40 minutes to my new house and working on it 4-6 hours, and then driving close to an hour back to the apartment after midnight. I tried to eat and sleep a little bit too lol. I did that for nearly 3 months, and was dog tired, and just wanted to get home. Not an excuse, and it was still breaking the law, so I had to pay the piper!

Fast forward nearly 10 years, and I have a much different outlook on speeding and how I drive, especially with a little one in her car seat behind me
Me too man! Now that I am older, I feel like an idiot if I find myself speeding. It takes a split second to get a ticket, which are never small, and in the long run you MAYBE save a couple minutes by speeding. There is just no benefit.

OP - That sucks how they trapped you man. Is that a high risk, high accident area or do you think they just realized they can rake in the cash at that spot?
Old 05-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #12
2SSCamaroChris
Making heads turn!

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
Since it is 25 mph over the speed limit defensive driving is out of the question. You are lucky they didn't decide to arrest your for reckless driving.
2SSCamaroChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #13
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
Could have tried this with your license and registration.

That shit only works in MEXICO! True story!
Old 05-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #14
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
I got 70 in a 55, just accelerating from a stop light and it got away from me.

Never been pulled over before, Lawyered up, and they've already pushed the court date back to June when it was originally in April. My record is so clean they may be able to make it go away all together.

Either way, if this is your first offense then pay lawyer fees and avoid the raise on insurance and points on your license.
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote