Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Welcome! Do the LT headers!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
Black1SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS 6 Speed
Do you have to get a new tune every time you do a new mod to your car or is the first one good enough until you get to the big horsepower.
Also, no one has recommended any LT headers yet. I am sure yall have some preferences. lol
Thanks for making me feel welcome to the forum with all the responses
Black1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1SS View Post
Do you have to get a new tune every time you do a new mod to your car or is the first one good enough until you get to the big horsepower.
Also, no one has recommended any LT headers yet. I am sure yall have some preferences. lol
Thanks for making me feel welcome to the forum with all the responses
It depends on the mod whether you need to tweak the tune. With headers, you should get a tune or the CEL will come on. If you think you'll be getting an after-market air intake, then I'd get that with the LT headers and have the tune done for those. They will help your car breath.

I bought Kooks headers for mine. But, any headers from a reputable company will all be about the same.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
Ratt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2ss
ARH headers are the only way to go, 1 7/8" with high flow cats. They cost a little more but are more than worth it.

You do not need a tune for any bolt on. You might get a check engine light but who cares. If you are going to tune it because the light bugs you then wait until your finished with all of your mods.

If you do not have to pass emissions in your area, you do not have to get a tune. The car will run fine, it might burn a little rich but it wont hurt anything.

If you bought the car used you don't have a warranty to worry about, no matter what you have been told by the salesman in reality there is always some reason why the don't cover it when the car was bought used.

Kook's would be my second choice but I would still pay a few bucks more for the ARH (American Racing Header)
Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #19
Black1SS

So I am assuming that with LT headers it gets rid of the factory cats all together. That is why you get more horsepower right? Are they a complete bolt on with no cutting involved?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #20
Darth_Emma

You can get LT headers with high flow cats.

They are bolt on.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
Ratt
Account Suspended

Stock cats are definitely gone with long tubes. If you don't like the smell of un burnt gas when you get to a stop light with the windows down then get high flow cats. I have them.

When you call the header company let them know you are keeping your stock exhaust and they will tell you what you need.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
You're going to have to do the research on which headers fit your needs/budget. You'll also have to deciede if you care if the headers are made in the USA or overseas. Then you'll have to decide if you want them ceramic coated or not.

Here are a few off the top of my head. Do a search on the forum with some of these names and see what people think then get quotes from vendors on the site.

KOOKS
American Racing Headers
Stainless Works
Dynatec
XSPower (there system is like $750 for headers & catback)
Texas Speed

Some of these guys even have two versions (USA or overseas).

Then for the ceramic coating you'll have to add another couple hundred or so. There are those that believe in the ceramic coating and those that don't. If looks of the header is an issue then I would do the coating. There is a controversy as to any performance gain or not but I did it for cosmetics alone. Again, do a search to read up what memebers opinions are.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #23
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
WELCOME!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #24
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1SS View Post
So I am assuming that with LT headers it gets rid of the factory cats all together. That is why you get more horsepower right? Are they a complete bolt on with no cutting involved?
With long tube headers you can run with or without cats. The cats are supposed to be where the big restriction is. From my understanding the factory cats are supposed to have a 600 cell count...meaning there are 600 small holes for the air to flow through. The aftermarket HF cats are supposed to be in the 200 range. So you can see that the wholes in the HF cats would be much larger and thus freer flowing.

Obviously no cats are going to be the most free flowing but you may be required to have cats in order to pass emmissions. Plus some people say that without cats the exhaust smells. I have cats so I can't confirm that.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 01-02-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #25
Ratt
Account Suspended

Don't coat them its a waste of money

Always buy made in America

ARH and KooK's are the only 2 that will give you the sound your looking for and both are made in the USA with USA made Stainless Steel
Old 01-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #26
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
LTs and dont look back!! Best and first mod for every LSX owner in my opinion.

You can look into "defoulers" that "might" prevent a CEL but remember that they are for "Off Road Use Only."

Everyone seems to love Kooks and ARH since they are the most expensive and all that jazz.

I've used ARH's units on our cars and they are nice. But they aren't the only band in town.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, compare both of those to LG Super Pros. They are pretty darn good as well.

But if you really want bang for buck, just make sure and shop around and do like everyone says....support American.

Best Wishes and Welcome!!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #27
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
Don't coat them its a waste of money
I disagree. I did it for the looks. My headers still look new. It was worth the $200 for looks alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
If you're going to spend that kind of money, compare both of those to LG Super Pros.
forgot adding LG. Great header and Ivan has great prices on them.
Build Journal
Old 01-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #28
Black1SS

OK, thanks for all the great responses. I have decided to do the LT headers with CAI and a tune. I need to get it ordered soon because I only have a few weeks to get this in and installed before I give it to my wife. I still haven't figured out which combo to get so any recommendations will be appreciated.
Any sponsors, feel free to send me a PM with what deals y'all have going now.
Thanks again guys