Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #43
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
right now GM is probably more worried about Cadillac sales than the Camaro
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #44
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
I would be also.

I get they're wanting Cadillac to be a "status symbol" and moving up market..but the issue is that right now oil and gas is fairly cheap, so people want Luxotruck's and SUV's. If they're going to pay $70,000+ on a GM vehicle, it's more than likely going to be a big SUV or a max loaded truck.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #45
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
Who knows? You see articles like this and it makes it seem like everything is going according to plan -

GM profits more than double on record N. America earnings

"The first-quarter profits came even though global sales fell 2.5 percent to 2.4 million vehicles. Stevens attributed the decline to lower sales in South America and a U.S. strategy to cut low-profit sales to rental car companies. But he said average prices per vehicle in North America improved, which he attributed to trucks and new products such as the Chevrolet Malibu and Camaro."

http://www.chron.com/news/article/GM...ca-7286886.php

As long as GM is profitable and happy, then I am good.
I get that profits are up, but if they developed alpha with the intent that the ATS/CTS would be lower volumes then the Camaro needs to be the volume model....but I guess if the money is coming in thats all that matters
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #46
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Alpha would have existed without the Camaro.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #47
Adrian97c

Drives: Wife's 14' IS 250
Glad the mustang is selling like hotcakes... That is why I love being a Camaro driver... I pass 2 Camaros per day, I pass 608 mustangs per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Built on • 3/22/16
Adopted • 4/07/16

Sold on 2/05/16:
2014 Camaro SW L99, 2SS, RS, NAV, Inferno Orange Interior:
-Borla ATAK catback
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-55k white Cree LED fogs
-License plate LED bulb swap
-12" Sub Kit, BA amp swap
-Oracle ghosted LED sidemarkers
Adrian97c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #48
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
I wonder if plant build capacity has any relation to sales? I ask because several years ago I decided I would never again do a SRE order and spent over a week using on line sources as well as several trips to the dealership regarding dealer trade. Both I and the salesperson found several builds that met my specific wants. Either she or I called on each only to find all were either not at the listing dealership or were already sold. Not a single one was available whether I went to the listing dealer or for my salesperson to arrange a dealer trade.

That also was when I discovered how meaningful "In Transit" really is.

One way to learn if the Camaro is selling well or not would be if GM increased plant build capacity, say by adding another shift. I wonder if that is being considered?

Oops!

Laborsmith
I believe that "Days in inventory" would be the best way of tracking Camaro sales vs expectations, Im just not sure where to go to find that information, and compare it to other GM vehicles
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #49
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
I see GM having a long term strategy for Cadillac (quote below). Camaro is the question. Is price held high because that's where they want to position the car or is that where price is needed to be profitable? Adding the 3rd shift in April suggests they are ok with volume.

Quote:
Expanding Cadillac’s reach is the task of Johan de Nysschen, the South African native who became Cadillac’s boss in 2014. The former Infiniti and Audi executive and BMW dealer persuaded GM’s brass to move Caddy’s headquarters to New York’s SoHo district last year, to “be closer to trendsetters.” He’s also a beneficiary of GM’s decision to shell out $6 billion in the next few years on 11 new or revised Cadillac models. The biggest need: crossovers. The luxury marque is adding one this year—the midsize XT5, which replaces the aged SRX. More are coming, but not until 2018.

Cadillac also has just introduced a flagship sedan, the CT6. Reflecting de Nysschen’s strategy of keeping prices high to polish the brand’s image, a well-equipped model can list for $70,000; a loaded one, $90,000. “I don’t want Cadillacs in every driveway. I’d rather have them in the right driveways,” he says.

That strategy has cost Caddy some sales, but fattened the bottom line. TrueCar says the average realized price in February for a Cadillac bought via its service was $57,949 after incentives, 10.3% higher than a year earlier. That left Cadillac behind Mercedes-Benz, but ahead of BMW, Audi, and Lexus.

De Nysschen aims for Cadillac’s global sales, which rose 7.5%, to 277,868, last year, to surpass 300,000 in 2016. He asserts that 750,000 is possible by the end of 2025, as its models cover 90% of the luxury market—from crossovers to convertibles—versus 50% now.

http://www.barrons.com/articles/general-motors-and-ford-shares-have-25-upside-1460781730

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #50
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
I used to think De Nysschen was crazy. After watching the events of the last 2-3 years, I'm inclined to think he is spot-on in his approach. But it takes time to turn a ship. There are so many big market events at play right now in the luxury arena.
  1. Sedan sales are plummeting at a time when Cadillac introduces 3 top-notch sedans.
  2. CUV sales are skyrocketing in the midst of the SRX to XT5 changeover. I expect a lull through summer.
  3. While the Escalade is a glaring success, the lack of a XT7 and XT3 CUV's are hurting.
  4. GM is reducing fleet sales and I read somewhere Cadillac would prefer to eliminate them all together.
  5. China is influencing the luxury segment for everyone (design, displacement, efficiency).

I recall an interview where De Nysschen predicted relatively flat sales in the US this year for Cadillac given the product life-cycles and brand strategy. As long as Barra is on board and willing to play the long game I think 2020 Cadillac will look drastically different than it does today. I mean Mary and I both drive CTS-V's so I know she has good judgement.

What I'm most impressed by is the transaction prices are climbing (thanks largely to the Escalade) but across the other models too at a time when Audi, BMW, MB transaction prices are falling thanks to big volume in the low dollar compact/CUV segments. It's a race to the bottom that I hope Cadillac doesn't get caught up in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
I get they're wanting Cadillac to be a "status symbol" and moving up market..but the issue is that right now oil and gas is fairly cheap, so people want Luxotruck's and SUV's. If they're going to pay $70,000+ on a GM vehicle, it's more than likely going to be a big SUV or a max loaded truck.
No one is better positioned for the luxo-truck market than GM. Escalade accounts for 20% of Cadillac sales. Yukon Denali, Sierra Denali, even basic Tahoe and Suburban are extremely lucrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I get that profits are up, but if they developed alpha with the intent that the ATS/CTS would be lower volumes then the Camaro needs to be the volume model....but I guess if the money is coming in thats all that matters
We don't know what "volume" was required to turn a profit or what else GM has in store for Alpha. They built the best chassis in their respective classes, hands down. Given the long run of Zeta and Sigma, it may be years before Alpha pays for itself. Who knows. Selfishly I only care about the product and Alpha is world-class in that regard.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:54 PM   #51
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Good points as usual MEDISIN,

Just my line of thinking is going like this. CTS/ATS need to stay upscale high profit to fall in line with Cadillac's long term plans. But lux-Sedan sales are trending downward, and the ATS/CTS are selling pretty bad. That makes me think that GM would like the Camaro to pick up some of that slack and pick up some extra volume.

BUT like others have mentioned, profits are up so who knows. Fun way to pass the time though
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #52

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Just saw a nice TV commercial for Camaro....No other vehicles, just the Camaro...pretty nice, well done...

Scratch no TV advertising off the list as a reason for low sales!!...lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:32 AM   #53
Top_Agent

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting46 View Post
I believe that "Days in inventory" would be the best way of tracking Camaro sales vs expectations, Im just not sure where to go to find that information, and compare it to other GM vehicles
In CA Chevy Dealers:

Camaros Days in Inventory averages 40 Days which is the third most stocked model, 1st is Silverado and second is Malibu.

Other Chevy Models with less days in inventory would be:
Colorado, Cruze, Caprice and Malibu
2016 Camaro 2SS / Silver / 8 Speed Auto / NPP / Black OEM front fascia extension / ACS Composite spoiler / M228 Gloss Black Wheels / Red Calipers / BF Goodrich G Force Comps 2 A/S Front: 285/35/20 Rear: 305/35/20 / Black Gloss Wrapped Roof
Top_Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:07 AM   #54
Masta T
coco puff power yo!

Drives: 2005 350z tt, 2010 bmw 328i
Would it sell better if they made the 1ss msrp around the same price range as the challenger rt and the base gt? I feel some people do not want to have a v6 but can't afford the v8 camaro so they go to the competition.

dub or scrub
Masta T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:34 AM   #55
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta T View Post
Would it sell better if they made the 1ss msrp around the same price range as the challenger rt and the base gt? I feel some people do not want to have a v6 but can't afford the v8 camaro so they go to the competition.
For $hits and giggles I emailed my dealer about some left over 5th gens about a month ago since the deals were getting ridiculous. Got an email the other asking if I was still terested, told her at this time I'm not. Explained to her that I was looking for a V8 but don't need 450hp or $37K+, something along the lines of the Challenger R/T. Haven't heard back since telling her I had zero interest in a V6 Camaro.

Same dealer has 29 new Camaros in stock, all are 6th gens except one left over and heavily discounted Z/28. They have all three engines to choose from as well as convertibles. It will be interesting to track these vehicles to see if they are selling or not.

Last edited by Posaune; 05-18-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote