Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
PIC

Drives: 2005 YJM6 GTO
Buy a Camaro?

Hey guys I'm new here, me name is Curtis. I'm currently driving a 2005 GTO YJM6 with custom made cats that I made myself, corsa sport catback, K&N CAI, Billet Products Shifter and a monster stage 2 clutch. I love my car and everything but I really love the new camaros and am planning on buying one soon, problem is, no dealership will let me test drive one or even sit in one until I pay them atleast 10%, which is a bunch of unexplainable trash. Why would you not let a customer sit in a car to see if they like it and drive it to see if it feels right and all that jazz? I understand that they don't want just anybody walking off the streets and driving a camaro just for the heck of it, but come on....i showed the guy my paystub I brought with me showing what I made last year, which was over $60,000, but nobody would let me do anything. Kind of turns me away from buying one if no dealership will be nice enough to even let me sit in one.

So here is my question, are there any camaro guys in the DFW area, mainly Fort Worth, that would let me just take a look at your ride and just sit in it? Not asking to drive your car or anything, but I hear that these cars are not very view friendly and I just want to see for myself what it feels like to sit in one to see if its something I could drive every day. Maybe we could meet up for lunch or something one day, I'll buy!

As for the car itself, I'm looking for an orange or black SS, manual with all the options. The dealerships I went to had black ones, one was really nice and I probably wouldve bought it had he let me just sit in the damn thing. Anyways, thanks for reading guys, I hope to be a camaro owner soon.
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
dtwells

Drives: 2013 Chevy Volt, formerly 2012 2SS
Thats just odd they wouldnt let you drive em, much less get in one. Of all the times I went to dealerships, they practically begged me to take em out for a spin. Whether i was dressed in jeans and a tshirt or coming in after work in professional dress. I'd say just find other dealers if you have any close by - or check the forum for dealers.
dtwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Are you showing them a valid drivers license? It just doesn't make sense unless their running your FICO first and things look unusually bad there. I'm not in your locale or I'd let ya take Casper out for a spin.................Good Luck Friend
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspers2SSRS View Post
Are you showing them a valid drivers license? It just doesn't make sense unless their running your FICO first and things look unusually bad there. I'm not in your locale or I'd let ya take Casper out for a spin.................Good Luck Friend
Yeah I showed them my license when they asked for it, I do have a ticket for going a buck twenty on the highway though lol....dang mustangs wanting to race. My FICO is well above a 780, I just checked it today, I've never been late on a payment of any sort. They said they require 10% down to test drive and sit in them and all that junk. Im not about to pay upwards of $3,500 just to test drive or just sit in one. Dealerships where I'm at have been stupid like this forever.

Thanks for the friendliness too, I appreciate it, I'm on one of the GTO forums and all the guys over there are extremely immature and just stupid about everything. On this forum I've only gotten legit replies from everybody and alot of friendliness......unfortunately I dont have a camaro yet lol
Old 01-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
Wow what a bunch of jerks. just kidding. The reason some dealerships will not let people drive them is they want to keep them as new as possible to be able to say they have never been driven. Not saying you would wreck it, but they have a limited allocation of how many Camaro's they're dealership can get in a year and if one is wrecked, it doesn't matter if it is fixed, they can't sell it as new even if it is repaired. Would you want to buy one if it was wrecked and then fixed?

As for visibility, there is one issue for me is the blind spot when backing out of a parking space, when lane changing I put a wide angle smaller mirror on my outside mirrors and that took care of that.

If you really want a Camaro, the right dealer can order any model or style for you or you can custom build one on chevy.com

My dealer said he could get any color or model and trim I wanted and then he delivered it to my city, which he also owned the dealership there too. Good luck with your decision.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwells View Post
Thats just odd they wouldnt let you drive em, much less get in one. Of all the times I went to dealerships, they practically begged me to take em out for a spin. Whether i was dressed in jeans and a tshirt or coming in after work in professional dress. I'd say just find other dealers if you have any close by - or check the forum for dealers.
The first time I went in to my local dealership I had just got out of my grandmothers funeral, so I was in a tux and everything. The guy came out and asked if I needed help, I told him im interested in buying a new sports car...at that time i was trying to choose between a 5.0 and a Camaro. He said, you looking for an SS? I said yes and that I wanted an orange or black one with all the goodies. So we went in and looked at papers and talked. I asked him if I could go out and check some of them out and he said I'd have to put down 10% to do that, so I literally just got up and left.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
=Stephens=

10% down might be that particular dealerships policy. I have never seen that anywhere I have been.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
Wow what a bunch of jerks. just kidding. The reason some dealerships will not let people drive them is they want to keep them as new as possible to be able to say they have never been driven. Not saying you would wreck it, but they have a limited allocation of how many Camaro's they're dealership can get in a year and if one is wrecked, it doesn't matter if it is fixed, they can't sell it as new even if it is repaired. Would you want to buy one if it was wrecked and then fixed?

As for visibility, there is one issue for me is the blind spot when backing out of a parking space, when lane changing I put a wide angle smaller mirror on my outside mirrors and that took care of that.

If you really want a Camaro, the right dealer can order any model or style for you or you can custom build one on chevy.com

My dealer said he could get any color or model and trim I wanted and then he delivered it to my city, which he also owned the dealership there too. Good luck with your decision.
Yeah, I understand the whole car business thing, but most dealerships have actual test cars here that the dealership has bought itself so they can be test driven and such, they wouldnt even let me do that. Bad part is, I went to the ford dealership next door and not only did they let me drive a mustang, they let me drive a gt500 just because the sales guy wanted to see what it was like to be in one of them at speed lol.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
PIC

Quote:
10% down might be that particular dealerships policy. I have never seen that anywhere I have been.
3 chevy dealers I've been to in a 20 mile radius have the same policy.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PI_CATALYTIC View Post
Yeah I showed them my license when they asked for it, I do have a ticket for going a buck twenty on the highway though lol....dang mustangs wanting to race. My FICO is well above a 780, I just checked it today, I've never been late on a payment of any sort. They said they require 10% down to test drive and sit in them and all that junk. Im not about to pay upwards of $3,500 just to test drive or just sit in one. Dealerships where I'm at have been stupid like this forever.

Thanks for the friendliness too, I appreciate it, I'm on one of the GTO forums and all the guys over there are extremely immature and just stupid about everything. On this forum I've only gotten legit replies from everybody and alot of friendliness......unfortunately I dont have a camaro yet lol
Never fret and you'll eventually find a dealership who understands the desires and abilities of a hardworking/earning customer. Someone here will point the way soon.....stay tuned.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
=Stephens=

You are in the DFW area, maybe worth the time to take a road trip and find a dealer who will work with you or search online and make some phone calls.

If you were in Nebraska, I'd take you for a spin and let you see what a V6 can do. What is funny, most of my friends don't want to drive my car when I offer them. I think they are afraid of wrecking it and can't afford to fix it.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspers2SSRS View Post
Never fret and you'll eventually find a dealership who understands the desires and abilities of a hardworking/earning customer. Someone here will point the way soon.....stay tuned.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I've almost got enough saved up to buy one straight up, just a couple more months. I'll probably end up selling my GTO after I get it and use the money towards mods.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
PIC

Quote:
You are in the DFW area, maybe worth the time to take a road trip and find a dealer who will work with you or search online and make some phone calls.

If you were in Nebraska, I'd take you for a spin and let you see what a V6 can do. What is funny, most of my friends don't want to drive my car when I offer them. I think they are afraid of wrecking it and can't afford to fix it.
I've heard those V6's are pretty damn quick. Raced a couple in my GTO, they don't stay too far behind, they're pretty impressive.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
=Stephens=

For 21,900 bucks, its the best V6 with over 300hp for my money