Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-10-2014, 12:32 AM   #1
citabria7
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS Rally Yellow
Ignition switch

On the recalled Solstices, Ions and Cobalts, the ignition switch, in the On position is at 1 O'clock. That causes any weight on the chain or hitting the key, to push to the off position. (The reason for 2.5 million recalled cars) The Camaro, at least my 2010, has it in the 4 o'clock position, causing weight or hits to push to keep it On. (Good idea) I got a 2014 Impala as a loaner while my Solstice waits weeks or months for the parts to come in. I noticed that the On position is back to the 1 o'clock slot. Today, I barely brushed the key with my hand while reaching for the A/C vent, and bingo...car shut off while driving. Just wonder what they were thinking when they went back to the old vulnerable positioning. The Camaro set up is much better
citabria7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:24 AM   #2
jravenfan

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
Push button start would resolve this. My wife's jeep Grand Cherokee has it and my sons Altima has it. It's a nice feature and your key doesn't leave your pocket.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #3
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jravenfan View Post
Push button start would resolve this. My wife's jeep Grand Cherokee has it and my sons Altima has it. It's a nice feature and your key doesn't leave your pocket.
Another Chrysler guy told me his has that. Wonder why GM doesn't. My question is: the 2014 died just like the older recalled ones. Could be big trouble for GM if the new ones are doing the same thing.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria7 View Post
On the recalled Solstices, Ions and Cobalts, the ignition switch, in the On position is at 1 O'clock. That causes any weight on the chain or hitting the key, to push to the off position. (The reason for 2.5 million recalled cars)
it's a little more complicated than that. just bumping the steering column with your knee could cause it to go into the off position on those vehicles, which also disabled the airbags. the engineers even made note of it during testing. GM ignored it, thus the big shit storm they find themselves in. if I'm not mistaken, that ignition was not used in the camaro's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jravenfan View Post

I also have an altima, and the push button is nice. especially with the intelligent key. you don't realize what a pain in the ass it is to pull your key out of your pocket to unlock the doors until you don't have to. many times I'm waking to a vehicle with my arms full. with my altima it's not biggie. with the camaro I have to set something down on the ground and fish in my pocket for the fob. It's also nice knowing you can't lock your keys in the car.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
I also have an altima, and the push button is nice. especially with the intelligent key. you don't realize what a pain in the ass it is to pull your key out of your pocket to unlock the doors until you don't have to. many times I'm waking to a vehicle with my arms full. with my altima it's not biggie. with the camaro I have to set something down on the ground and fish in my pocket for the fob. It's also nice knowing you can't lock your keys in the car.
LOL.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
citabria7
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
it's a little more complicated than that. just bumping the steering column with your knee could cause it to go into the off position on those vehicles, which also disabled the airbags. the engineers even made note of it during testing. GM ignored it, thus the big shit storm they find themselves in. if I'm not mistaken, that ignition was not used in the camaro's.

Yeah, it is a completely different switch in the Camaro. But the 4 o'clock position sure helps. What is weird is that the 2014 Impala has the same kind of switch as the Camaro, and they went back to the 1 o'clock position...and it died while I was driving it when the key flipped to off.
citabria7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
LOL.

imagine having to get into the house next
Old 05-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria7 View Post
On the recalled Solstices, Ions and Cobalts, the ignition switch, in the On position is at 1 O'clock. That causes any weight on the chain or hitting the key, to push to the off position. (The reason for 2.5 million recalled cars) The Camaro, at least my 2010, has it in the 4 o'clock position, causing weight or hits to push to keep it On. (Good idea) I got a 2014 Impala as a loaner while my Solstice waits weeks or months for the parts to come in. I noticed that the On position is back to the 1 o'clock slot. Today, I barely brushed the key with my hand while reaching for the A/C vent, and bingo...car shut off while driving. Just wonder what they were thinking when they went back to the old vulnerable positioning. The Camaro set up is much better

I loved my Solstice GXP. I wish I could have kept it as I think it's a great looking car, but I am relieved that I traded it in, deep down: 54K miles with no actual problems except the scritching door latch...I'm happy I have nothing but great memories of that car
Old 05-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I loved my Solstice GXP. I wish I could have kept it as I think it's a great looking car, but I am relieved that I traded it in, deep down: 54K miles with no actual problems except the scritching door latch...I'm happy I have nothing but great memories of that car
I like mine a lot. But there are more and more problems with Solstices popping up. Mine, other than the recall has been pretty good. Lots of new problems showing up with them in general, though. Seems once one guy has a problem, the same thing starts popping up on lots of others. There is a point where it just isn't worth the risk or trouble anymore
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
like I said, if you don't have it, you don't get it. it's like saying how would I get my window down without power windows
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
What a hassle.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Call me old fashioned, but push button start and true key less entry just seems like yet another failure point to worry about in cars these days. But hey, nobody keeps cars but a few years these days right?

I haven't been too impressed with how the electronics hold up in things nowadays, but maybe they'll surprise me in the long run.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote