Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #57
C-Money

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
I just got a 2014 2SS and I'm still on the first tank of gas the dealership gave me. I just hit a half a tank and it says I have a range of about 152-160 miles left depending on how fast/where I drive.
C-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #58
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYMARO View Post
those claiming more than 25 highway are full of it or not calcing it right.

On the highway. Cruise already set at 70. No traffic. Flat land ohio. Reset the DIC while in motion while cruise is set. Guess what it read after 15 miles of steady solid cruise, didnt release cruise once. 23 mpg.

Cant get a better reading unless you do the manual math (gallons, miles driven)(room for error also)

Find fault in that

I'm not sure resetting the DIC in motion yields useful results, and 15 miles is a pretty small sample. Most people run from fill up to fill up and check the mileage then, by hand for the most accuracy. I've had cars where the onboard mileage was dead on and some that were off by 3 or 4mpg... best to check it manually at least a couple of times to see if your DIC is accurate before relying on it.

Last edited by Chevy_cowboy; 04-03-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Chevy_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #59
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Certainly, but I know there are folks who base their mileage claims on very small sample distances. They'll fill up, reset the mpg calculator...
Whaaaaaaat?!? That would be cheating.

I get 99.9 MPG. For one, this proves that V6s are better. Sure, I am only 35" tall, weigh 45 lbs, and I always drive naked... and I removed the glass, the upholstery (I can stand while I drive), the radio, AC, hood, trunk, doors, and even the paint. Tires are unnecessary weight, so it's rims only for me. I never rev the thing over 1000 RPM (it DOES make for slow freeway merges, I'll admit), and only run 1/4 of the "suggested" water in the radiator.
Attached Images

Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #60
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYMARO View Post
WOW. I wouldnt think you would BS about something so trivial. Im confused on how you got such GREAT mpg. Will mods get better MPG? Im bone stock. again, WOW.
A CAI and TB can yield better MPG with gentle driving. Typically 1-2MPG at most.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #61
scarinjo

Drives: 2011 Silver 2SS
My 2011 SS is averaging between 18 & 19 mpg.
scarinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #62
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post

I get 99.9 MPG. For one, this proves that V6s are better. Sure, I am only 35" tall, weigh 45 lbs, and I always drive naked... and I removed the glass, the upholstery (I can stand while I drive), the radio, AC, hood, trunk, doors, and even the paint. Tires are unnecessary weight, so it's rims only for me. I never rev the thing over 1000 RPM (it DOES make for slow freeway merges, I'll admit), and only run 1/4 of the "suggested" water in the radiator.
SS owners take note, this is how we save our gas V6 style.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #63
whan

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Getting 15.4 average right now. Mostly city/spirited driving though
whan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #64
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorSS View Post
It is a high performance V8 brawler that still nets mid-twenties on the highway. I would say that is no reason for complaints.
I seem to recall that a 425 hp 426 hemi Road Runner would get between 4-6 mpg. Nobody should have any complaints about what they get with any Camaro.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #65
C-Money

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Going to Vegas tomorrow from southern cali. about 240mile drive. I'll let you guys know how my MPG is on that.
C-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #66
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I didn't have a Hemi, but my '69 Road Runner with the 383 4 spd got 15 mpg on the highway if I was lucky. It was awful hard keeping my foot out of it, so I probably could have done a little better, but back then, gas was too cheap to worry about mileage!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #67
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post

^^^

I'm getting 22mpg out of my ZL if I keep my foot out of it.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #68
WATCHER
My Wife's Cool Guy

Drives: 2013 Coupe RS NAVY BLUE
With my 2013 2LT V6 AUTO I get 17 running around Arlington (14-15 in a BAD MOOD IN BAD TRAFFIC) and 25.5 on the metro DFW highways. Strict HWY driving WITHOUT bad traffic, on cruise, 65 mph is 30mpg. 70 mph on cruise is 28, 27 into the wind (EPA says 27). My goal is to have a VERY NICE Grand Touring Machine (which is what my Camaro is) that gets 30mpg consistently on the HWY at 72-75mph (less than that, you get run over in Texas). There is no crime nor sacrilege in having a 320+hp machine and wanting great HWY mileage too... AND IT IS ACHIEVABLE! My plan is an Injen CAI (maybe 2 mpg)...Then ENKEI Wheels and the newly released Firestone Firehawks... 4+ POUNDS less EACH wheel/tire combination (maybe another 2mpg). That combination of modifications should get me over the 30 hump at 70mph. No loss in performance, better gas mileage on the HWY. If I happen to get better mpg in town, happy ME! (just gotta be in a tolerant mood)
Overall, this is a wonderful car. With only 9,000 miles on the odo, I really want to see what it will do when it is broken in. ;-)
WATCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #69
WATCHER
My Wife's Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvillekidd View Post
That is what I did, except I was in Tx. Here is what I said in a previous post:
In the SS I had, I got 28 mpg on a run along a flat highway in TX with the cruise set at 70. This was also with the car fully loaded heading to Indy for C5FestIII. DIC was reset after cruise was set to 70, so I could get a highway avg without any acceleration or deceleration.

I will say that I did have a CAI Inc cai, a Vmax ported TB, and Edelbrock shorty headers on the SS at the time.
This set of facts makes perfect sense to me. Your combination of mods gave you 3 mpg over the 25 I've heard other SS owners get bone stock on the HWY.
You use the gasoline energy more sparingly and instead of outright increase in acceleration, the extra energy provided per gallon gets you further down the road at a steady pace.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #70
WATCHER
My Wife's Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmitopgun View Post
Before and after I tuned my 1LT, I average about 21 mpg in the city, daily driver. Also just did a road trip from Charleston SC to Tampa FL, cruising on average between 75-80 mph and got 35mpg!!! No lie! I filled up right before I left and made it about an hour north of tampa before I had to fill up. woot woot!
Do you have one of those 1LT's with the lower numerical gearing? Sounds like it...they were made just to stab Mustangs in the eye and got EPA HWY at 30.