Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #813
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
But...... ya don't have to exceed the handling limits of a car to feel the benefits of a well designed suspension.
Agree. The thing is you can really feel the improvement in the ZL1 over the standard Camaro, well at least I'd have to guess because the ZL1 is being recognized for great handling while the standard SS I tried handled like a... Nevermind, don't want to start a fight. In the same manner the Mustang with track pack felt like an improvement over the car before it, and the Boss an improvement on that. But a dramatic leap is bound to impress Testers more than an evolution. So while I think it's correct to give the handling nod to the ZL1 it's not like the Shelby is crap, it's just it's an evolution rather than a revolution and it's not as adaptive in real time as the MR suspension. Clear win to ZL1 but not a complete loss to the GT500 if you see what I'm getting at.

Heck, re-reading my own post I'm not sure I made my point that clearly. Long day, time to call it. Chat tomorrow folks.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #814
LeviG

Drives: '95 Acura Integra GSR
Geez, the Ford fans in here are such pricks!

(Not a response to Fenderaddict2's post above, just an observation of some others in here)

LeviG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #815
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Agree. The thing is you can really feel the improvement in the ZL1 over the standard Camaro, well at least I'd have to guess because the ZL1 is being recognized for great handling while the standard SS I tried handled like a... Nevermind, don't want to start a fight. In the same manner the Mustang with track pack felt like an improvement over the car before it, and the Boss an improvement on that. But a dramatic leap is bound to impress Testers more than an evolution. So while I think it's correct to give the handling nod to the ZL1 it's not like the Shelby is crap, it's just it's an evolution rather than a revolution and it's not as adaptive in real time as the MR suspension. Clear win to ZL1 but not a complete loss to the GT500 if you see what I'm getting at.

Heck, re-reading my own post I'm not sure I made my point that clearly. Long day, time to call it. Chat tomorrow folks.
I thought you made the point really clear.

Going 1 to 3 to 10 is going to feel more impressive than going 3-7-9

The shock factor of how well this Z handles compared to the standard SS is just another reason it's reviewing so well.

I'd imagine, had Ford not produced the Boss last year, the ZL1 would be utterly 'untouchable' in a lot of peoples eyes. Not that it's not a well rounded car,'but at least the Boss gives reviewers something to compare it to.

I have a strange feeling a Brembo/3.73 GT wouldn't fare as well as the Laguna Seca did in their comparison.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #816
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Automobile Magazine now has track times from Gingerman...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231690
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #817
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
But...... ya don't have to exceed the handling limits of a car to feel the benefits of a well designed suspension.
No you don't, but how a car reacts when you exceed its handling limits matters. It's taken into the handling equation.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #818
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Automobile Magazine now has track times from Gingerman...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231690
Thank you...I was going to direct them to the new thread. Interesting read.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #819
Lawhand

Drives: Orange Death
Send a message via Skype™ to Lawhand
And the only thing that this proves is the Corvette ZR1 is twice as good as both of these :-).
Lawhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #820
Long Carbine
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshep214 View Post
Went to the ford dealership today u can't get the gt500 for under 60. Sorry won't happen.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xakk3q
I looked on the net and there are GT500's selling for sticker and some were in the $54k range with no opitions. As soon as they flood the market they will be add fully optioned for well below $60k. I paid $47k for a 2010 with a sticker of $53.3K for a car they just rolled off the showroom floor.
Long Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #821
Long Carbine
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawhand View Post
And the only thing that this proves is the Corvette ZR1 is twice as good as both of these :-).
Twice the price, why wouldn't it?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #822
Long Carbine
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercamaro64 View Post
Im not suprised with the results. The mustang has a significant amount of power over the camaro, but it doesnt have the suspension to compete with the zl1.
I think you will be dissappointed when we get the results from MT.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #823
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Carbine View Post
I think you will be dissappointed when we get the results from MT.
When will those results come out?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #824
PistonsFan

Drives: 08 CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
No you don't, but how a car reacts when you exceed its handling limits matters. It's taken into the handling equation.
Of course. You're missing the point of the post. Many people keep suggesting that the handling difference doesn't matter because most owners won't track their car. But that couldn't be further from the truth. (and this isn't directed at Fenderaddict, just a general statement)

Anyone who's driven a car with exceptional handling knows it's a blast to drive on and off the track. A well designed suspension will delay the onset of body roll and feel like it's driving on rails - regardless of how hard you are pushing it. There's a reason why the reviewers couldn't say enough about how much they preferred driving the ZL1 on the street...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideLine
"On the road, the Camaro will rotate as commanded when its wheel is turned. In other words, there's less understeer in the ZL1 which, coupled with better steering feel, makes it more trustworthy. Perhaps most significant is that, in the real world, where bumps too often occur in less-than-ideal locations, the Camaro is more confident."
PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #825
john2000car
American_Chevy

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2LT RS+
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Have your ever driven on Highway 1 between Carmel and Big Sir? If not, it's worth the trip.
Oh man! Like to do it again sometime. I have driven north on Highway 1 (at the time in my 1973 Camaro too) from San Luis Obispo ?sp back to Monterey. Totally fantastic and amazing scenic ride.

By the way, if driving south (outside lane and too near the drop off to the ocean below) on the same road, I would certainly feel more comfortable in a Camaro than a Mustang.

Brings back great memories.
john2000car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #826
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Although I fully expected the ZL1 to be praised for its handling prowess I was quiet surprised by how badly the GT500 was perceived. Just last year magazines were praising the Boss and how well the car handled. Many were amazed a SRA car could handle this well and yet from what I read the '13 GT500 seems a step behind instead of an evolution forward. Faulty shocks? Or is the ZL1 that good, and they bar that higher that by comparison that is how poorly sorted the GT500 felt. I really need to get a ride in a ZL1. Or better yet a MR suspension upgrade on my car.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inside line article, video, zl1 vs 2013 gt500, zl1 vs gt500