Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #15
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Unless you are a professional and know what you are doing. Then a rotary is a great tool for fast correction. But you must always follow with a DA and a polish or you will leave holograms.
Bang on. I polished my car first with a Rotary. Didn't know this bit of info first and nearly had a heart attack once I rolled the car out into the sun lol. Picked up a Griots DA and Sonax perfect finish and brought the paint to an amazing gloss and depth.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #16
MR-02

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Thanks Joe M and Glen E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
For me, essence really doesn't get out the swirls without many, many passes....It's just too fine a finishing polish. I would probably try something a little bit more substantial like Megguires ultimate compound, and then do the essence… then the cquartz or reload.
So I followed your advice given above, (Meguires Ult Compound, then essence, then reload) and it looks near perfect! You can see my test section in the photo, the swirls and holograms that I paid a detailer to give me as a surprise to show up a month later, (see my other posts) are virtually gone! and I managed this good result by hand only, my neighbour thought I painted a stripe on the car! planning to finish the rest of the job this weekend......

So now I'm wondering....
#1 How long will it last?
#2 Will it disappear in a month or two, like when I came from the detailer?
#3 Did the Meguire Ultimate compound create a permanent change in the clear, or does it wash off like a wax would?
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #17
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-02 View Post
So I followed your advice given above, (Meguires Ult Compound, then essence, then reload) and it looks near perfect! You can see my test section in the photo, the swirls and holograms that I paid a detailer to give me as a surprise to show up a month later, (see my other posts) are virtually gone! and I managed this good result by hand only, my neighbour thought I painted a stripe on the car! planning to finish the rest of the job this weekend......

So now I'm wondering....
#1 How long will it last?
#2 Will it disappear in a month or two, like when I came from the detailer?
#3 Did the Meguire Ultimate compound create a permanent change in the clear, or does it wash off like a wax would?
Compounding it not like a wax that wears/washes off. What the compound does is removes clear and makes things smooth again in a (nut shell). Once you are done with the whole care you will need to add some protection (wax/sealant/ceramic).

So far what you have looks good. If you are doing it by hand that will take forever. Take it from another novice and buy a DA. Easy to use and makes everything look much better than by hand.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #18
Atra

Drives: 16' 1SS M6
Larry K is a God. AMMO products are awesome!