Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
climber

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Mobil1 LS and Friction Additive

I am seeing a lot of conflicting information so I wanted to get a quick poll on what people think. I was not paying attention and I added 2.5oz of the GM friction modifier AND Mobil 1 LS (with limited slip additive). Closed it up and then realized that the Mobil 1 LS had limited slip. So do I need to redo this? What does too much friction modifier do?

Anyone used the Mobil1 in the manual transmission? Does the friction modifier hurt the 6-speed stock manual? I am having a hard time finding just a 75w90 gear oil without modifiers haha.

For a 2012 Camaro 1LT (V6)

Also for a side of humor... worked on the car for 6 hrs... 3 mistakes later ... potentially further behind then when I started. Beware of the lug nuts with the little metal "casings/covers" they strip REALLY easily. After an hour trying to get it off, I decided that I need to take it to a tire center once I get the trany and differential back to full. This all started because the tire iron from Chevrolet that came with my car doesn't fit my lug nuts! SOOO glad I never got a flat. Doesn't engage at all. stripped two lug nuts and then I stopped. I can't believe the stock tire iron doesn't work haha. So future tire changers beware. Took some pictures if anyone from Chevrolet wants to help me get a replacement!
climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
climber

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Looks like a good reference. This article seems to recommend a MTF specific fluid that matches the required 75w90 and GL-5. I have Redline MT-90 on order for the Manual Transmission so I will update it if i have any issues.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...pics/1231182/1

Still could use any thoughts on the "doubling up" of the friction modifier
climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
FWIW... I used Mobil-1 in my trans and diff, AND also used the GM diff fluid as well. Been on that for a year now and haven't had any issues.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Amsoil Has that gear Oil. I use in in my differential with their friction modifier.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
alrock

Drives: 2015 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
FWIW... I used Mobil-1 in my trans and diff, AND also used the GM diff fluid as well. Been on that for a year now and haven't had any issues.
Same here. No chatter or erratic behavior. I'll probably change it out again when the weather cools off
alrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 lt v6, differential, friction additive, manual tranmission, mobil1