Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #85
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
....guys, the turbo 4 and 6 are going to be standard Corporate motors, 8's will be a premium, read GmAuthority or GmInsider for info....they are coming to a neighborhood near you, soon, and across all lines. CAFE and GOV reg's are squeezing 8"s, they will be available, but at a premium going forward. Especially high performance 8's. Read, and get informed.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #86
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
I'm not against them. (I'm pushing 50 so I guess they are older than me.)
I'm FOR V8s. And I am for Camaros being what they are. Like Vettes being what they are. A Turbo Cobalt by the way is a great car, my tuner drives one and its kick ass. But there is a thing that is the Essence (in my opinion, and I'm nobody) that is Camaro. I'm just a fan, a faceless guy who wanted the car he lusted after since grade school. (Early '70's) if it had returned as a econo green version of itself I probably wouldn't have bought it. Hyundai makes a pretty good pony car that was compared favorably to the 2010 Camaro and 2009 mustang. Didn't sell as well. I'm not trying to diss other engines in other applications, just saying in my opinion a Camaro has to be different than a Camry or a Malibu. By the way my name is Gordon.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #87
revychevy

If its a done deal then this depresses the hell out of me.
I liked the fact that with a Camaro that kind of power and sound was available at a price a normal Joe-six pack could afford.

I can't drop Premium prices like 60 grand for a ZL1.
If the Muscle part of muscle cars are beyond the reach of normal guys they will be gone again. Rich people will buy Mercedes, BMW, Lexus or Audi.
And the 2nd coming of muscle cars will fade like the first. ( and guys like me will be stuck driving electric AMC Pacers!)
Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #88
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Whos doing the attacking?? I don't see attacking from the ones simply trying to point out why a T4 could be a good thing, or from those who try to point out that a T4 can actually be fun to drive.

Anyways...the comment is laughable at best. The point is making the Camaro "as good as it can be"....and your right. So WTH does adding a T4 to the line-up do to threaten that? I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why the next gen Camaro on Alpha with the LT1 V8 won't easily surpass the current car in performance...straight line and in the twisties. You seem to think that adding a 4-cylinder is somehow going to affect the performance of the V8 version....like GM is just going to somehow "water down" the name altogether.

"Well, they are adding a 4 cylinder. Guess Chevy just doesn't care about real enthusiasts anymore." Thats what you seem to be saying.
A 4 cylinder was on nobodies wish list for the 6th gen. Lighter, better interior, better handling, more power. That's what people asked for. Not better fuel efficiency.

Performance is what made this car such a great seller to begin with. It sure as hell wasn't fuel efficiency. So yeah, I'd like GM to listen to their customers and improve the performance of the car, not screw around trying to make a 4 cylinder pony car no one will want.

And don't make the other argument about CAFE. The fuel efficiency is averaged across the fleet. A marginally more efficient Camaro won't hold a candle to an Eco Cruze sale. So sell people who want fuel efficiency Eco Cruze's, and leave the Camaros alone. Both sets of customers will be much happier.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #89
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
....guys, the turbo 4 and 6 are going to be standard Corporate motors, 8's will be a premium, read GmAuthority or GmInsider for info....they are coming to a neighborhood near you, soon, and across all lines. CAFE and GOV reg's are squeezing 8"s, they will be available, but at a premium going forward. Especially high performance 8's. Read, and get informed.
And as a buyer, I don't have to like whatever GM sells. If GM decides to shaft performance car enthusiasts, then I'll just go buy a different car. It's really that simple.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #90
revychevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
And as a buyer, I don't have to like whatever GM sells. If GM decides to shaft performance car enthusiasts, then I'll just go buy a different car. It's really that simple.
This. If I can't get or can't afford what I want, then GM is dead to me.
This is only my opinion though, you guys drive what you want.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #91
Ken_
Tally Ho!

Drives: 13 2SS/RS 6M, 05 Mitsubishi Evo 8
It's really funny how this whole thing is so blown out of proportion about something nobody really knows. Take a look at the import/compact side. We got guys who are shoving V8 naturally-aspirated into cars only a few years ago would have been laughed at. These are cars that want the reliability and availability of V8 power in a lighter chassis. They understand the math of power:weight BUT at the same time, they aren't knocking each other for what's under the hood. I'm from that camp. I also respect the "essence" of what a muscle car is. That's why I also have and love my SS with the LS3. It is what it is. No replacement for displacement and import guys know that. Power-adders such as turbos and supercharges will give any engine the feel of bigger displacement. It's all in the math. Anyway, stop getting butt-hurt on what someone's opinion is or something nobody on here has a direct influence on a business decision. Love your Camaro. I love mine, and I love cars and engines and being an underdog.
Ken_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #92
TrillChevyRyda

Drives: 2011 2SS Camaro/79 Caprice LS
its all just numbers..
Old 02-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #93
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larz29 View Post
Why would anyone want a 4 cyl camaro?? Sounds a bit lame.
What's so cool about a V8 besides the fact that you can brag about it being a V8?

GM has already made production inline 4 cylinders for production cars that make 145 bhp per liter. A Camaro 1SS makes less than 70 bhp per liter. I'm sorry but I read a lot of fashion statements instead of car guy concerns in these threads
Old 02-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #94
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
But it WON"T JUST BE GM. It will be everyone.

Yes rich people will go buy premium German they do now. That won't change. But those premium German brands will ultimately have to meet the same CAFE standards too.

The issue for me isn't whether or not there will be a 4 cylinder. And for those questioning a 4 cylinder in a Camaro?

If you can get the performance you might just see it.

If all a Camaro is to you is a "thing" that happens to have 8 cylinders then you will likely be dissapointed in 2025.

But here is the deal. In order to AVERAGE 54.5 under the new footprint guidelines AND have a V8 there will have to be economical choices as well. Putting the 2.5L 4 cylinder in a Camaro is a great choice for some people. Some people want a more stylish car that is economical, easy to use, park drive etc. That is the base engine in the ATS and it drives just fine (not for a Cadillac though )

Also consider this. Chevrolet doesn't have a coupe other than the Camaro. I won't count the Corvette as it is a different animal. So Chevrolet has to get the Camaro to compete with Accord and Altima coupes. So no one should be worried about adding a 4 cyclinder to the Camaro.

So my position is simply this. If it handles, brakes and steer and goes very fast when I put my right foot down on the right pedal...................I don't care how many cylinders are there.

FUTURE SPOILER ALERT - at some point we will be discussing how we can't drive our perforamnce cars when gas is $10 per gallon. Look at the projections for the Chinese auto market lately? 30 million units by early next decade. India? Just barely getting an automobile market. Statistics show that well over half of the buyers in China and India are first time buyers. That is telling. And they will all want oil.

2nd FUTURE SPOILER ALERT - at some point this conversation will be had about eliminating gasoline or diesel and only having electric propulsion (EVs and Fuel Cells are coming). And EVs can be pretty fun to drive as well.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #95
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
The problem that most of the close minded folks who think only a v8 belongs in the Camaro is that they don't realize that if the Camaro was v8 only there would not be enough business justification for the vehicle to exist. Without the v6, there would be no Camaro. Period.

Furthermore, my 1994 Camaro was a v6 when I bought it. I'm now one of the most passionate Camaro enthusiasts you'll meet. I run a Michigan-based Camaro and Firebird website with over 2300 members, I host a 300+ Camaro and Firebird specific car show every year, go to a ton of shows through the "car show season" in Michigan, registered on basically every Camaro forum on the internet, etc. Because of my '94 Camaro v6, I am likewise passionate about General Motors in general which made me work extra hard to get a job at General Motors world headquarters in Detroit. I eat, breathe, sleep GM and Camaro. I cannot imagine NOT owning at least one Camaro now for the rest of my life... And all that because of a v6...

So when I found out I could afford a 5th gen if I went with the base, 1LS model... Yeah, I didn't hesitate.
Burn!!!
Someone get that guy some ice!

This should be an auto response to the V6 haters out there.

"Your car wouldn't exist if it weren't for my car"

awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #96
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The way people talk about the 4-cylinder possibilities, it sounds like GM is taking something away. It's a new option added to the mix. How could more options be bad news? All this does is give the people who want a Camaro a Camaro. Not everyone can afford your V8s.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #97
revychevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfarley View Post
Burn!!!
Someone get that guy some ice!

This should be an auto response to the V6 haters out there.

"Your car wouldn't exist if it weren't for my car"

That's silly. Your v6 wouldn't exist without a V8 either. It would have just been a Monsa.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #98
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by revychevy View Post
But there is a thing that is the Essence (in my opinion, and I'm nobody) that is Camaro. I'm just a fan, a faceless guy who wanted the car he lusted after since grade school. (Early '70's)
If you think that the essence of a Camaro is V8 only, you're forgetting that the 1st gen cars were saddled with 1-barrel carb'ed inline sixxes that were good for making noise (and little else) above 3500 rpm.

Remember that the Camaro originally came in response to Ford's Mustang, the 6 cylinder versions of which have been roundly criticized as being "secretary's cars".

Nobody is trying to say that your vision of "Camaro essence" is wrong, or that you aren't entitled to it. Only that the "Camaro essence" has been and still is somewhat wider than just V8's and a dual exhaust rumble.

Hey, I like V8's too. I've owned several V8 cars, still have one, and I could probably assemble two or three V8 engines just scrounging around in the garage for parts.

Actually, I like short-stroke high revving V8's the best. I'm going to stick my neck out a bit and guess that those engines wouldn't quite fit your definition of "Camaro essence", either. The original Z/28 with its 302 CID engine notwithstanding. You'd be the die-hard big-block fan, right?

Quote:
econo green
Word like that are loaded with way too much association to outright opposition to performance. It's not nearly as true now as it was 30 or 40 years ago, and using them to ridicule opinions that differ from your own is just a needless distraction.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation