Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-20-2022, 06:59 AM   #1
CMAR

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2.0t
Exclamation Gen 6 "reduced performance reduce clutch use"

Good morning all.

Looking for help/advice on a reoccurring warning now MIL illumination after minor modifications.

Vehicle- 2019 camaro LT 2.0t
Transmission- standard 6 speed
Mileage- 49k

Back story- I purchased this this used at the dealership in June with 32k on it. The car handled well and drove fine. All the gears shifted as they should with no slippage.

3 weeks ago I decided to swap out the factory exhaust for the Flowmaster 817751 American Thunder Axle-Back system. The car sounded great for a 4 banger.

Immediately after the install, (second drive cycle), I got the illumination on the dash "reduced performance reduce clutch use". I really didn't think much of it. I figured it's probably because of the differing back pressure of the exhaust. (The torque and hp gains are minimal for the swap). It didn't happen often, only in 5th and 6th gear under WOT.

Last week I installed the Injen CAI and ZZ performance high flow catted downpipe.

Immediately after that I noticed the warning would pop up more. Now in all gears from 2nd onward.

Last night's illumination was followed by "service transmission". I plugged in the Foxwell and got the code (P17A2) after some research. I found a service bulletin on the Camaro/ATS BulletinNo.:20-NA-153 Date:August,2020. It states "Some customers may comment that the MIL is illuminated. Some technicians may find DTC P17A2 (Transmission Clutch Slip Detected) set in the Engine Control Module(ECM). In some instances, the output speed sensor reluctor wheel may be slipping on the shaft due to low output shaft nut torque."

Your thoughts on this issue? Can it be the modifications? Or have you had this happen to you, what was the fix?

Thank you all for reading and responding in advance.

Uploaded the TSB for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MC-10180313-9999.pdf (119.3 KB, 138 views)
CMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 08:43 AM   #2
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Can't speak from experience but what it sounds like is that service bulletin is the issue and the additional power from the modifications has made the problem worse. I highly doubt the clutch is smoked on that car already.

Return the car to stock and take it in for service. Should be under warranty still.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:51 AM   #3
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
A factory TSB would not be limited by the duration of your factory warranty- IOW GM's gotta fix it if your symptoms (and your ECM is showing error code P17A2) are consistent with the TSB.

Looks like a bit of work to do yourself, so I'd take it to your local Chevy dealer and tell'em you need the new output shaft washer and nut fix! Return it to stock exhaust if possible.

I do not think your exhaust mods could cause any of this, but perhaps you are driving it a bit harder with those new great sounds egging you on... Hopefully those first 32K miles didn't put too much wear on your clutch, but be prepared for the dealer to tell you that a new one is needed and tell them you want the "fix" and proper torque on it first. IMHO, of course!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:48 AM   #4
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I would start by checking for a slipping reluctor. This is pretty easy to check. You basically pull the speed sensor and see if you can move the reluctor wheel. I will link to my post with diagrams.

My blah, blah, blah starts at post #10:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...php?p=11115174
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.0, transmission