Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
What in the world is a 3/4 racing cam?

Had this term thrown at me this morning by a neighbor that owns a third gen camaro with a bit of modifcations. I recently gota cam about a month or so ago and today he refered to it as a 3/4 quarter cam. Whats the difference between a 3/4 racing cam and a full racing cam?
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
http://www.tildentechnologies.com/Cams/Take_34Race.html

Google is your friend........
Old 07-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
Robvas

Drives: G8
Old hot rodder term, kind of like 'RV cam'.

Story goes they ground half the lobes to full race spec and the other half to mild spec and then you have a 3/4 cam. Doesn't really mean anything and it's usually a good sign the person you're talking to doesn't really know all that much
Robvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
Had this term thrown at me this morning by a neighbor that owns a third gen camaro with a bit of modifcations. I recently gota cam about a month or so ago and today he refered to it as a 3/4 quarter cam. Whats the difference between a 3/4 racing cam and a full racing cam?
It's just a milder version of the full race cam... something you can drive on the street yet still represent well at the strip. A full race cam would be a bit awkward on the street, especially in stop and go traffic.

You bought a cam and don't know anything about it?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

lol i see
Old 07-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #6
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Wow, I haven't heard that term in years. It is basically meaningless. It literally means a duration halfway between a "1/2 race cam" and "full race cam." It really tells you nothing about the real specs of the cam because it tells you nothing about lift and you have to know the duration of the 1/2 and full cams (which varied by manufacturer) to know the duration.

Just nod and say that's nice the next time he mentions it. You are better off living in the later 20th century and early 21st century than going back to the 40s and 50s.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Wow, I haven't heard that term in years. It is basically meaningless. It literally means a duration halfway between a "1/2 race cam" and "full race cam." It really tells you nothing about the real specs of the cam because it tells you nothing about lift and you have to know the duration of the 1/2 and full cams (which varied by manufacturer) to know the duration.

Just nod and say that's nice the next time he mentions it. You are better off living in the later 20th century and early 21st century than going back to the 40s and 50s.
lol I did, kinda nodded and smiled but was like wth did he mean...thanks for the answers though!