Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Justification

Drives: Red 2SS/RS Convertible
Inordinate number of wrecks?

Seems every day I log on to find another one of our cars getting damaged from somebody hitting it.
Is the Camaro a magnet for idiot drivers to hit or is it just that we write about our misfortunes?
I know some of the wrecks I've read about here are our faults, but WTF is going on?
Does anyone have statistics on various cars and who is at fault?
Justification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
Since we are enthusiasts on this forum we like to share these things with others. I'm sure that the info we get on here is disproportionate to the actual number of Camaro accidents.

Roto-Fab Intake
Tuned by dynosteve @ RDP
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
I resemble this thread!

I hate that I am one of these statistics. Got rear ended at 20mph in stop and go traffic 6 weeks after picking up my 'dream car'. Hadn't even made my first payment.

But here I am, in 3 weeks time, I'll have owned the Camaro for a year and still love it!
Built: 11/18/22
VIN received: 11/19/22
On a Train: 02/27/23
ETA: TBD

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
smhss

Drives: '11 Silverado, '10 Camaro 2SS...
Send a message via Yahoo to smhss
In the last year I've been rear ended in my SS, rear ended while driving a friend's Grand Cherokee, and sideswiped while driving a Silverado at work. All in one year. I bought a Jeep Wrangler and it has sort of supplanted the Camaro as the "fun car". I still have the Camaro and love it...I guess I love it too much, because I just leave it hooked to the battery tender in the garage; I won't drive it. The Camaro (at least here) seems to be acquiring an unfortunate reputation as a thugmobile. I really don't know what I'm going to do with it between the fear of getting hit and the negative connotation that is starting to go with the car. Maybe I'll venture back to Mustangland--that car isn't even featured on the website "fordurban.com"
smhss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Yep and all these Camaro's getting wrecked are raising rates. My Camaro has went from 59.00 a month in May of 2009, to 69.00 a month June 2011. No tickets in 28 years and 48 years old.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
stray bullitt

Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justification View Post
Seems every day I log on to find another one of our cars getting damaged from somebody hitting it.
Is the Camaro a magnet for idiot drivers to hit or is it just that we write about our misfortunes?
I know some of the wrecks I've read about here are our faults, but WTF is going on?
Does anyone have statistics on various cars and who is at fault?
I was thinking the same thing the other day. This forum represents a tiny proportion of drivers in the USA, which leads me to think there must be absolute carnage out there in general. I have driven in PA, and CA and didn't think things were too bad. Is there much of a driving test over there? Over here you need at least 30 hours of instruction, before you can take a practical test. That's after a theory test.
stray bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
smhss

The driving tests are a joke, and are often administered in multiple languages while (with the exception of SOME symbolic versions) road signs are in English. Sounds like a prescription for mayhem, no? Enforcement is typically abysmal as well; it's spotty, and focused more on speed than dangerous or incompetent drivers.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
stray bullitt

Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhss View Post
The driving tests are a joke, and are often administered in multiple languages while (with the exception of SOME symbolic versions) road signs are in English. Sounds like a prescription for mayhem, no? Enforcement is typically abysmal as well; it's spotty, and focused more on speed than dangerous or incompetent drivers.
Oh dear. I wonder if folks would be prepared to pay for better training, to avoid the future cost of damage to theirs, and others cars, or worse death and injuries? Doubtful.....
stray bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
smhss

Doubtful indeed, my British friend. Glad you had good luck motoring on your visit here. As you read above, I am afraid to get Carmen out of the garage. The thrill is gone. :(
Old 06-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
KIZE
www.gkiser.com

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, Auto, Summit White. R
What do u mean, thug mobile? I haven't heard that.

Roto-fab CAI, GMPP exhaust with tips, Pistol Grip shifter with paddle switches, 'Chevrolet' aluminum kick plates, Aluminum Bow Ties, ClearBra front bumper/facia + side views + gills + behind door handles. SS floormats. www.gkiser.com
KIZE www.gkiser.com
KIZE is offline   Reply With Quote