Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #1
crazyeddie

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro; 2014 Jeep Grand Ch
Trading a C6 for 2017 2SS

Am looking for a new toy in the near future and have been looking at the 2017 2SS as well as the Grand Sport C7. Has anyone gone from a C6 to an SS? I will be using the car for general cruising and have no intention of tracking. I am 69 years old and although I have no trouble getting in and out of my C6, I'm thinking in a couple of years well, it won't be getting any easier. The Grand Sport is terrific but for what I use a car for is it really worth 15-20 thousand more?? I've never driven a Camaro but did trade a 99 Mustang in on my first corvette in 2005. One of the knocks on the Gen 5 Camaro was driver visibility. Has that improved in the Gen 6 model?
Anyway, my first post here and look forward to your comments, thanks in advance Crazyeddie, wondering over here from the C7 forum
crazyeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
Fred25

Drives: 2SS Garnett,black enblems,AR Wheel
Had several C6 versions. Z06 and ZR1s. I am totally satisfied with the power and handling. I am 63 and I understand your planning. The Camaro is way more comfortable. I think it is a great alternative. GM is trying to force us out of Vettes. The cabin and seating keeps getting smaller. Only the Germans have figured out Tall people make more money and want performance cars, too. Miss the light weight of the Vettes but the Camaro is close.
Fred25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
The tall person comment is correct. The interior space of the Vette is really tight for taller drivers.

I love the space in the driver seat of my 2SS.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
I too had a few C6's base and a Z06. I'm 31 and love my 17 2ss when It's running lol. Definitely slower but I'm adding a supercharger on mine very soon to compensate. Mine is my dd
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:53 AM   #5
kasperdsmk

Drives: Hopeful 2017 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
I too had a few C6's base and a Z06. I'm 31 and love my 17 2ss when It's running lol. Definitely slower but I'm adding a supercharger on mine very soon to compensate. Mine is my dd
What do u mean by "when its running"? im just curious
kasperdsmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:35 AM   #6
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Think Im qualified to answer this one....
I went from a C6 grand sport to an SS. Ive also had a stingray - all 3 within the last year. Ive also tuned and tested aftermarket parts on all 3 vehicles because I was part of a testing program with Chevy. On top of that had 5 other muscle cars in the last 2 years (Nissan, Ford, Dodge) - again, testing program.

I can tell you out of all 8, the SS has been my absolute favorite compared to even the corvettes. Of the others the C6 GS corvette was a better drive than even the stingray- hard to believe.

Heres what I hated about the C6:

- Outdated tech and interior - worst cup holders in the history of cup holders!
- Couldnt clear a parking barrier or curb - ANYWHERE, so annoying
- 2 seater - theres always those few times where you need to transport a 3rd person
- Parts and repair - total raping of the customer
- Flimsy body - lose a push pin in your fender wells and the body flops around like a cheap Chinese made toy
- Needed to do a pushup to get out - ALL my passengers complained and all were under 40 yrs old.

What I loved:
- Raw power, tuneability and the total driving experience - 2nd to none
- 2013 GS was the last of the classic shell and just the most kick ass corvettes ever (lets pretend the Z06 doesnt exist)
- Sorry Stingray owners, the 2013 GS Corvette can blow you away as an afterthought. Very satisfying, well...until I got the 2016 stingray to test.

SS has everything: raw power, lots of available aftermarket parts, easier - BY FAR - to get in and out of, Curb clearance, room to grow (just did a S/C install), much cheaper repair and replacement, cheaper insurance, stronger body and 100% just as fast as a stingray for 15 grand less.

C6 GS wins the driving experience battle, but the SS easily wins the overall head to head in every other category.

80 grand for a 2017 Corvette GS - yeesh, no thx - total suckers purchase. You could build a SS supercar and still come out 20 grand cheaper!

For those interested in how personally rated all 8 - overall ranking:

1. 2016 Camaro SS
2. 2013 Corvette GS (what a rush, just way too backward of an interior)
3. 2016 Corvette Stingray (its a love it, hate it look - BARELY edged out the GT mustang)
4. 2015 Mustang GT (Mustang guys would disagree with 4th..it is however night and day better than 2014s)
5. 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T (like driving a really fast tank)
6. 2015 Dodge Charger (family car-like with power - nothing overly special)
7. 2016 Nissan Z (you thought is was hard to see out of an SS..try a Z!)
8. 2014 Mustang V6 (yea, its a V6 and handling was AWFUL!)

Last edited by DisturbedSS; 10-22-2016 at 03:08 AM.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #7
2slow95vert

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
My last toy before my '16 2SS was a 2011 c6 GS. Although I love my Camaro, I found the vette to be more comfortable and made a great DD. The only problem I had with it was that it was so low stock it would sometimes scrape going into/out of some driveways/ parking lots. I went for the Camaro now because I have 2 small kids and want to share my love of cars with them (also a new vette would cost way more than the 46k I paid for my NEW GS from Kerbeck in 2011).
2slow95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #8
NEGXXIS

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
I traded in my 2009 Z06 for my 2016 SS and couldnt be happier. Much more of a "well rounded" car. I get better MPG in the 16 SS also. I agree with what most everyone else has said... the interior and "tech" is light years ahead. seats are more comfortable, and i can drive without worrying about scraping on every damn thing in the road..LOL
SOLD 2019 Camaro SS -Wrapped in Matte Magnectic Black - Anderson Carbon Hood and Rear Spoiler – Ikon front spoiler – OEM ZL1 Side Rockers - ZL1 Addons Diffuser - BMR 1.0” Lowering Springs - MRR 228 Wheels 20x10 and 20x11
RIP 2016 Camaro SS https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565453
SOLD 2010 Camaro SS Featured in GM High Tech Performance and Camaro Now Magazines - http://www.superchevy.com/features/g...of-perfection/
NEGXXIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #9
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Like many others here I also had a C6. Two innfavt. Both were Z51 LS2 manual coupes. Great cars but my wife hates riding in them - felt too confined and closed in and sitting too close to the ground plus difficult to get in and out of. Was fine for me as the driver but I get it. Seats were also not very good. I now have a 16 SS vert and we love it. Much better long road trip car and we do those regularly visiting our kids in college. Plus when we get there we can shuttle 3 people around town.

Performance is on par in every category with the C6s I had. Stiffer chassis too with better steering feel and a nicer ride. And even the vert with the top up is quieter than a C6 coupe !

Interior and tech is far better. I'm sure on par with the C7.

It's a great choice especially for the $!
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #10
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
I just traded my 2011 Z06 for a 2017 Fifty Edition 2SS. I'm happy with the choice I made. I do miss the raw power of the Z06 and its incredible braking and handling.

However, I love the SS more in every other aspect. I just took the car on its first road trip to the keys and now she has 900 miles on the odometer. The more I drive it the more I love it.

If you have a 2005 base C6 then I would jump to a new SS in a heartbeat.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #11
crazyeddie

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro; 2014 Jeep Grand Ch
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. One of the things I really like about the SS is that you can check all the boxes when building it and still come up 20 grand less than a C7 Grand Sport. No one as yet has said anything about how they hold their value or not. Seems like in my research dealers are discounting the heck out of the new ones, but you pay on the back end when you get ready to sell. -- ce
crazyeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #12
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperdsmk View Post
What do u mean by "when its running"? im just curious
I ate my transmission last week. Getting rebuilt as we speak lol. My 09 Z06 was definitely faster but the interior was soooo dated.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:49 PM   #13
Fred25

Drives: 2SS Garnett,black enblems,AR Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEGXXIS View Post
I traded in my 2009 Z06 for my 2016 SS and couldnt be happier. Much more of a "well rounded" car. I get better MPG in the 16 SS also. I agree with what most everyone else has said... the interior and "tech" is light years ahead. seats are more comfortable, and i can drive without worrying about scraping on every damn thing in the road..LOL
well said
Fred25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:21 AM   #14
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyeddie View Post
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. One of the things I really like about the SS is that you can check all the boxes when building it and still come up 20 grand less than a C7 Grand Sport. No one as yet has said anything about how they hold their value or not. Seems like in my research dealers are discounting the heck out of the new ones, but you pay on the back end when you get ready to sell. -- ce
Unfortunate but camaros, nor any other muscle car in this class holds value sans corvette. Corvettes are a worshiped car. Be very curious to see if the newest gen holds value as well as the previous gen - 2013 and older.

2013 grand sport still stands as my best ride ever.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote