Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #15
CAM-FIFTY

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromike77 View Post
and this weekend I will be removing the tires and placing the vehicle on jack stands.
Are you sure about this? I think I read in other threads specifically not to jack stand it when winterizing the camaro.
CAM-FIFTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:18 PM   #16
Mr. Grumpy
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Some people remove the tires to prevent flat spots, as the car sits on a garage for long periods of time. Although, some cars sits at dealer lots for longer periods and they seem to be fine.

My car came with the trickle charger and the indoor cover and if I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that you should use the nodes in the engine bay. I'll check the instructions when I get back home and will report back.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #17
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
If you are worried about flat spots, just buy anti flat spot floor mats...
Old 10-26-2016, 02:23 PM   #18
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Okay, I know nothing about winterizing a car.... so, please be patient with my stupid questions, but...

When you say you will remove the tires, do you mean you will remove the wheels from the car, or remove the tires from the rims? And why would you need to do this?

My 1SS is my daily driver, but I will be getting winter tires on separate wheels. When I store the wheels/tires that are not being used, what do I need to do so they don't have issues?

Thanks!!
No such thing as a stupid question. If you are doing a straight out winter switch, I used to just leave the tires / rims stacked in my garage. It's a great opportunity to clean them and throw on some polish to!

In my case, I am removing all four wheels, and placing the car on jack stands for the Winter. My car will be stored for almost 6 months, and I did not want the chance of developing "flat spots". My Dealer recommended it, but said it was not mandatory if I could simply move the car around every month. I elected to do this, as it will give me the opportunity to REALLY clean and polish the rims during the Winter.

I just bought a lift, 4 jack stands, and a jack pad. Here is a GREAT video on removing the tires, utilizing the above:

Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:37 PM   #19
camaromike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM-FIFTY View Post
Are you sure about this? I think I read in other threads specifically not to jack stand it when winterizing the camaro.
I'm going on the recommendation of my neighbour. He has a 2-year old ZL1 (super-charged by Hennessey Performance in Texas - so a $100,000+ vehicle). This is what he does with his car for the past two winters. My Dealer also "suggested" it, but said just moving it around once a month would be fine as well. I decided to go this route for it's first Winter. Also gives me LOTS of time to clean the wheels! :-)
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D

Last edited by camaromike77; 10-26-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #20
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
No such thing as a stupid question. If you are doing a straight out winter switch, I used to just leave the tires / rims stacked in my garage. It's a great opportunity to clean them and throw on some polish to!

In my case, I am removing all four wheels, and placing the car on jack stands for the Winter. My car will be stored for almost 6 months, and I did not want the chance of developing "flat spots". My Dealer recommended it, but said it was not mandatory if I could simply move the car around every month. I elected to do this, as it will give me the opportunity to REALLY clean and polish the rims during the Winter.

I just bought a lift, 4 jack stands, and a jack pad. Here is a GREAT video on removing the tires, utilizing the above:

Thanks for the help!! I was just planning on stacking up the other wheels when they are not in use, so this works out perfect. One more question, should I do something different with the tire pressure in the wheels that are being stored? Like lower the pressure or something?

I see you are in Canada, and understand completely why you are storing the car for the winter. But I feel for you, I couldn't imagine not being able to drive my car for six months! I went away on vacation for a week, and missed my car so much, I took it for a drive immediately after driving 8 hours back home from vacation! My wife though I was crazy. She may be right, but it's not because of the car thing....
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #21
camaromike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Thanks for the help!! I was just planning on stacking up the other wheels when they are not in use, so this works out perfect. One more question, should I do something different with the tire pressure in the wheels that are being stored? Like lower the pressure or something?

I see you are in Canada, and understand completely why you are storing the car for the winter. But I feel for you, I couldn't imagine not being able to drive my car for six months! I went away on vacation for a week, and missed my car so much, I took it for a drive immediately after driving 8 hours back home from vacation! My wife though I was crazy. She may be right, but it's not because of the car thing....
No worries! You are more than welcome. That's what these Forums are all about - helping each other out. Insofar as tire pressure is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it while they are being stored. However, I would ensure they are at their proper psi when you go to re-mount them.

Ya. SUCKS living here in the Winter, but some people like it! I retire in the Spring, so am hoping to head South starting the following Winter........... No more
Old 10-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #22
reeper

Drives: 2010 HD D/A, 2015 Z06, 2016 2SS
Quote:
No worries! You are more than welcome. That's what these Forums are all about - helping each other out. Insofar as tire pressure is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it while they are being stored. However, I would ensure they are at their proper psi when you go to re-mount them.

Ya. SUCKS living here in the Winter, but some people like it! I retire in the Spring, so am hoping to head South starting the following Winter........... No more
I use those foam race ramps and have never had a flat-spot issue. much much easier then Jack's, tire demount and suspension maintenance.
OEM Blackout tail-lamps
OEM SEMA Grille
35% window tint
Black glow-tie
BMR Suspension (Pretty much everything)
ACS rear-deck spoiler
Rotofab CAI
Lolly-pop red rotors by Madison Powder Coating
reeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #23
Kenster865

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS (1SS)
Thanks guys. I feel better now knowing even more of you have had no issues with running a tender thru the underhood posts. Cheers!

Last edited by Kenster865; 10-28-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Kenster865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #24
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
Does anyone know the Amp rating for the Camaro Battery Charger from GM?
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #25
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNNZL1 View Post
Does anyone know the Amp rating for the Camaro Battery Charger from GM?
FYI, It shows 3.3amps on the GM Charger. I'm going to hardware a battery tender to my battery for easy unplugging.
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #26
Marko

Drives: Camaro
Is the red terminal under the hood on the passenger side? And where exactly do you hook up the negative clamp. For a trickle charger. Can someone post a pic
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #27
Marko

Drives: Camaro
Never mind. I found it in the owners manual
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #28
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote