Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #29
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Can you get NPP with a 4 banger? Bet that is going to sound sweet. But, you can always adjust the sound of the engine thru the radio!
Old 05-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #30
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Can you get NPP with a 4 banger? Bet that is going to sound sweet. But, you can always adjust the sound of the engine thru the radio!
Maybe 18" subs and a 3000 watt amp will be an option
Old 05-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #31
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
I know this may be hard to believe, but most people who buy Camaros are not car enthusiasts. They are people who want a cool looking car and are more concerned with MPG than HP... so long as the car is "peppy".

I predict Chevy will sell a lot of 4cyl Camaros.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:48 PM   #32
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I forgot to a answer the question, Ford will keep selling Mustangs.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #33
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
What's interesting is the 5th gen V6 is rated 0-60 in 6 seconds and the new 6th gen 4 cylinder is rated at LESS than 6 seconds for 0-60. So the V6 should be even faster according to the power uppage, except that the 4 cylinder most likely weighs a lot less. So even though it's the lowest option, it's probably just as fast as that V6 or faster, and much easier to tune and cheaper to buy in the first place
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #34
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
What's interesting is the 5th gen V6 is rated 0-60 in 6 seconds and the new 6th gen 4 cylinder is rated at LESS than 6 seconds for 0-60. So the V6 should be even faster according to the power uppage, except that the 4 cylinder most likely weighs a lot less. So even though it's the lowest option, it's probably just as fast as that V6 or faster, and much easier to tune and cheaper to buy in the first place
The weight difference on the 2015 mustang between a 4 and 6 is around 5lbs. So I don't think there will be much difference with the camaro either.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #35
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
The funny thing is... the 4 cylinder comes out of the Cobalt SS. Which is a very easy, good engine to mod. Just a few performance mods and the 4 cylinder will be pushing 350 hp easily.
Yup... my friend Mark had one, that thing was sick. He had Cold Air Intake, big boost, bigger fuel injectors, etc. A bunch of other things that I forget.

The thing nearly had a piston fly through the hood after all the boost he was running on it.

I'm not gonna lie, it was a sick car while it lasted. But I'm not a big fan of pushing those tiny little 4 cylinders to the limit and expecting them to last.

There's a reason our big V8's cost so much money and last so long after we daily drive them to 500 rwhp with no forged internals.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:43 PM   #36
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
With Chevy upping the V6 to 335hp keeping it as the middle option which is as it should be. Any wanna bet that Ford bumps there V6 HP back up again making it their middle option again over the ecoboost 4?
Doubt it. Ford really, really wants to push Ecoboost. If anything, they'll up its power to compete with the Camaro's V6 but they'll keep the 3.7 right where it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
Not only did they offer a turbo 4, it's sure to lose to the Mustang Ecoboost with 40hp.

Guess you can't hit a homerun every time.
310 - 275 = 35. Maybe you were simply rounding off.

Anyway, the turbo4 is the BASE engine in the Camaro, while the Ecoboast is the MID engine in the Mustang. GM went the logical route and has the lineup 4-6-8, instead of 6-4-8 like Ford did.

Now, will the turbo4 out perform the V6 Mustang? Dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
The turbo 4 makes almost 40 ft-lbs more torque than the V6 option, important since most users won't take their car over 5000 RPM's.
How did you come up with that? The turbo4 makes 295 ft-lbs. The LGX makes 284. Thats 11 foot pounds, not 40

Plus, the last time I looked at the engine power/torque charts the LFX makes a little more torque down low than the 2.0 turbo does (as well as a lot more up top). I'm sure it will be the same thing in the LGX. Thats why you can't by peak @ RPM numbers, its doesn't show the actual shape of the torque curve.

Quote:
The funny thing is... the 4 cylinder comes out of the Cobalt SS. Which is a very easy, good engine to mod. Just a few performance mods and the 4 cylinder will be pushing 350 hp easily.
No, it doesn't. The LFN isn't an LTG anymore than an LS9 is an LT4
Quote:
It'd help them.
That assumes that a turbo6 is a superior engine to a large displacement NA engine. Which, generally speaking is a false assumption.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:04 PM   #37
f1seb

Drives: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport2011 View Post
Sorry my apologies, I meant to say "what's next v6 turbo engine for the vette/viper."
There's nothing wrong with offering more engine options in a car if you're doing it for the right reasons and you're not replacing one with the other.

So the question is why is Chevy doing the turbo 4 of their new Camaro? In my eyes it's quite evident....because Ford is doing it. Now why is Ford doing the turbo 4? It's because they are gambling a little bit more with that. As most of us know, Ford is taking the new Mustang globally. In other countries, where fuel is far far more expensive than we pay here in the USA a 4 cylinder turbo makes sense. You get the performance of a sporty car, looks of an american pony icon, and reasonable fuel mileage to go along with this.

And lastly what's wrong with a turbo v6 in a high performance sports car like the Corvette? It's been working perfectly fine for the GTR. But alas I don't see Chevy being that adventurous and ambitious. In that dept. I would tip my hat to Ford. Twin Turbo V6 Ford GT.
f1seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:09 AM   #38
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
As far as the topic of the thread I don't see Ford making any engine changes until at least 2017 and even then I think they might drop the NA V6 all together. They have too much money in Ecoboost technology. I see them droping the NA V6 and upping the 4cyl output or making another Ecoboost engine if they decide to compete with the V6 Camaro. A version of the SHO ecoboost V6 comes to mind.

I personally have no problem with a 4cyl turbo Camaro that makes almost as much power as my old 4th gen. Its also not the first 4cyl Camaro and that one didn't have a turbo to help it out. I will be getting a SS but if I were trying to choose between a 4cyl or 6cyl Camaro the choice would be easy. It would depend on if I was going to mod it or not. If I were leaving it stock I would get a 6cyl. If I was going to mod it it would be the 4cyl. The 4cyl with some bolt ons will be hurting some 6cyl feelings. Also making sure a turbo 4cyl doesn't sound rice is easy. You just pick exhaust mods that are quiet to where all you hear is turbo spool and BOV. I hear way more 6cyl 5th gen Camaro's that sound rice everday vs turbo 4cyl cars where the exhaust goes through the turbo.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #39
EFI

Drives: something faster than you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
The 4-cyl version will give GM some room to wiggle with the new CAFE standards. Which means, because of that 4-cyl Chevrolet will probably be able to continue offering a V8 for a while longer.
This right hear times 1000. The more "low end" engine options that manufacturers offer the better their overall CAFE number will be...which will allow them to continue offering high powered engines for their top of the line models.

Personally I don't care if GM offers a 1 cylinder 2 stroke engine in the Camaro...if it helps offset some of the poor MPG values of their 6.2L V8 (and allow it to continue on) then I'm all for it.
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #40
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
I'd consider the T4 camaro without hesitation. What's not to like about 275hp and 33 mpg? I recall when the Chevy V8 only made 275hp and many less than than. Great marketing idea Chevy as you have Cafe standards to meet.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:00 PM   #41
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
I'd consider the T4 camaro without hesitation. What's not to like about 275hp and 33 mpg? I recall when the Chevy V8 only made 275hp and many less than than. Great marketing idea Chevy as you have Cafe standards to meet.
I drove the turbo ATS and honestly its quick but that's about it. It was fine for a sports sedan but I would expect more out of a Camaro.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #42
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
In other countries you are also taxed on engine displacement so four cylinders are attractive if you want to compete globally. It also helps with new CAFE numbers.

In the U.S. there is usually a high take rate of larger engines and manual transmission when a sports car debuts but then that levels off and the smaller engine and autos' rapidly surpass it.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote