Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
kinpin
618 RWHP

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I am looking for a set of used rims for my ZL1

I will be putting up my ZL1 for the winter soon and I was looking for a used set of rims i could put on it for the winter so i cam take my good rims and tires off and keep in the house . Any one know where i could get them ?
kinpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinpin View Post
I will be putting up my ZL1 for the winter soon and I was looking for a used set of rims i could put on it for the winter so i cam take my good rims and tires off and keep in the house . Any one know where i could get them ?
There is absolutely no need for this if it's the only reason for you buying an extra set of rims /tires ..... Unless you want to just waste your time and money.
I am 38 years old and have had sports/muscle cars in central n.y. for over 20 years, always storing them every winter with fuel stabilizer, disconnected battery and car cover. Never once have I took off the tires or put it up on blocks or any bull crap like that and it's always been zero percent problems.... smooth sailing come spring every year.
But Hey man with all due respect it's your money so spend it how you will...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
kinpin
618 RWHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTZL1 View Post
There is absolutely no need for this if it's the only reason for you buying an extra set of rims /tires ..... Unless you want to just waste your time and money.
I am 38 years old and have had sports/muscle cars in central n.y. for over 20 years, always storing them every winter with fuel stabilizer, disconnected battery and car cover. Never once have I took off the tires or put it up on blocks or any bull crap like that and it's always been zero percent problems.... smooth sailing come spring every year.
But Hey man with all due respect it's your money so spend it how you will...

Ok... I hear what you are saying but I have a unheated garage. There has been many threads about the ZL1 tires cracking and even the manual says there should not be keep or stored under 40 degrees... I have never seen summer only tires ever on a car until i perched a ZL1 last spring
Old 10-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
CRTZL1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinpin View Post
Ok... I hear what you are saying but I have a unheated garage. There has been many threads about the ZL1 tires cracking and even the manual says there should not be keep or stored under 40 degrees... I have never seen summer only tires ever on a car until i perched a ZL1 last spring
My garage is not heated either. Coldest winter ever last year, record breaking temps. And still not one crack or any damage to my tires..
The threads you read are just people being silly, overly anal.
Your tires are going to wear out And need replacement due to just normal wear and tear long before you start getting cracks..

I'm Also pretty sure the manual is saying you shouldn't drive in under 40 degree whether but I've done that too.. you just can't be stupid about it.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
My garage is not heated either. Coldest winter ever last year, record breaking temps. And still not one crack or any damage to my tires..
The threads you read are just people being silly, overly anal.
Your tires are going to wear out And need replacement due to just normal wear and tear long before you start getting cracks..

I'm Also pretty sure the manual is saying you shouldn't drive in under 40 degree whether but I've done that too.. you just can't be stupid about it.

The notice from Goodyear recommends against driving on them below 40 degrees, and not to even STORE them below 20 degrees.

Use that information any way you want.

When I still had the stock Goodyears, I'd take them off every winter to store them in my basement and put an old set from my 2011 SS on the car for the winter.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I bought a set of flatstopers as a precaution while stored for the winter. More surface area contact and to get them off the concrete. I'll also air the tires up to 40 psi, put a battery tender and indoor cover on it and then leave it alone until spring.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
CRTZL1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
The notice from Goodyear recommends against driving on them below 40 degrees, and not to even STORE them below 20 degrees.

Use that information any way you want.

When I still had the stock Goodyears, I'd take them off every winter to store them in my basement and put an old set from my 2011 SS on the car for the winter.
to each there own, some like to waste time ...others are more realistic.. zero degree temps all last winter, not one crack.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
ernie scar

Drives: Chevy/Dodge/Ford
As long as the car stays in one spot and you don’t move it the tires will not crack. It’s only when the car is driven in cold temperatures you get tire cracking in the rubber.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
to each there own, some like to waste time ...others are more realistic.. zero degree temps all last winter, not one crack.

Do you want to be the one to find out , that after all that warning from GOODYEAR was there for a reason ?
Well , be my guest , but if ,,,'happen , it's all on your dime !
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #10
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie scar View Post
As long as the car stays in one spot and you don’t move it the tires will not crack. It’s only when the car is driven in cold temperatures you get tire cracking in the rubber.
Then why is it the tires on my trailers that sit all year have fresh cracks each year? I'm not saying they will crack and I think OP is probably overreacting a bit, and also would be wasting more money buying the used wheels and tires than he would if he had to get new tires. But they can definitely crack without being moved. It doesn't get very cold where I am either, it's just the heat
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #11
67RS2010SS

Drives: Maroon 67 rs and CRT 2012 ZL-1
I'm pretty sure the dealers that have these cars on the lot in the winter don't take the wheels and tires off. This will be my first winter with this car and the will be on my car in an unheated garage in the northeast. As long as you don't drive the car they will be fine.simply moving the car from the garage to the driveway the should be fine too.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #12
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
Do you want to be the one to find out , that after all that warning from GOODYEAR was there for a reason ?
Well , be my guest , but if ,,,'happen , it's all on your dime !
This is bad info.. I called Goodyear when I got my car last year and was reading all this mis information. Goodyear stated they recommend you not move the tire under 20 degrees and as any manufacturers performance tire you risk loss of control under 40 degrees. But they cleary stated the tire will be warrantied for any cracks regardless of temperature use. I have a second set of aftermarket rims with a Michelin AS3 so on a nice dry cold day I can go out if I want.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #13
kinpin
618 RWHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
I bought a set of flatstopers as a precaution while stored for the winter. More surface area contact and to get them off the concrete. I'll also air the tires up to 40 psi, put a battery tender and indoor cover on it and then leave it alone until spring.
I like these . What size did you buy for your ZL1
Old 10-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #14
JamesZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 Camaro, 2015 C7 A6 Z51
Man I'm glad that I don't live in the areas that you guys do..In Oklahoma we have an Ice storm or two...Maybe snow for a week or two, but it usually melts away in a day or two...I won't drive my car on the ice or snow, but I am not going to store it all winter either....My wifes car is a 96 vette, we only had a carport till about a month ago and she hardly ever drives her vette..we put new rubber on it about 3-4 years ago (BF Goodrich performance tires) and they have cracks all in them and the tires have 95% tread left...The car sat for about a year and we only went out and started it once a month to keep the battery up on it...I know my trailer tires on my Stock trailer, car hauler and utility trailer all have cracks in them as well...From what? I don't know for sure, but they are there...
Roto-Fab CAI, Texas Speed Headers, Texas Speed X-Pipe, Texas Speed LS3-B Blower Cam, Metco 9.10" Crank Pulley, Metco 2.5 Upper Pulley, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Ported Throttle Body, Alky Control Methanol kit, E2 Catch Can, 610HP / 608 Torque.
JamesZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote