Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #1
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Best tire pressure range?

I have Pirelli P-Zeros. What would be the best tire pressure to get the longest life out of the tires? On the tire it reads, "not to exceed 40psi", and the DIC doesn't give a "Low Pressure" warning until it gets around 28. The Camaro owner's manual doesn't give an exact number to go by (I guess because there are so many different tires for different builds). I'm guessing the best would be right in the middle, around 34psi.

I assume it has a lot to do with driving habits and environment. I don't drive like a street racer, and I'm in SW Florida, where it's (dreadfully) humid and rarely goes below 70° during the day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #2
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Open your drivers door . Look at the end of the door or on the door jam . There is a label with the tire pressures right on it .
Old 01-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
I have Pirelli P-Zeros. What would be the best tire pressure to get the longest life out of the tires? On the tire it reads, "not to exceed 40psi", and the DIC doesn't give a "Low Pressure" warning until it gets around 28. The Camaro owner's manual doesn't give an exact number to go by (I guess because there are so many different tires for different builds). I'm guessing the best would be right in the middle, around 34psi.
Damn! How long have you been driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata
Open your drivers door . Look at the end of the door or on the door jam . There is a label with the tire pressures right on it.
^^^ THIS ^^^
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
stock block

Drives: 2015 zl1
34-35psi is perfect
stock block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #5
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock block View Post
34-35psi is perfect
I believe 36 psi (cold) is recommended for the P-Zeros.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 01-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #6
Night trained

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss 1LE
Always read a cars placard for tire and wheel specifications on any car.
Night trained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #7
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Damn! How long have you been driving?

^^^ THIS ^^^
Sorry, I'm not in the habit of reading door jambs. I guess I should have checked there instead of the owner's manual or even, say, on the actual tire.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #8
stock block

Drives: 2015 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I believe 36 psi (cold) is recommended for the P-Zeros.
your most likely right ,but 1 or 2psi under or over is fine ,not going to flip over like a ford suv
stock block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:16 PM   #9
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
I run my car at 35 (cold) usually and over they year or whenever theyll bleed down to 32 (cold) then at around 30 I'll put them back up at 35. If you drive your car for a while on the streets, especially in the summer, you'll notice the pressure rise about 2-3 psi. Sarasota is only an hour/hour and a half north or me.

I'd run the 21in p-zeros you have at 32/33
Old 01-08-2016, 10:08 PM   #10
swagner

Drives: 2015 2LT RS
OnStar suggests I keep mine at 36
swagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:36 AM   #11
PalmerGA

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not in the habit of reading door jambs.
That's okay. Tire/car manufacturers have been putting those placards on every car sold in the US for at least a couple of decades now. That's why I asked "How long have you been driving?".

It's not in the Owner's Manual because recommended PSIs vary by tire type/size/brand. It's not on the tire because the manufacturer does not know what kind of vehicle their tires are going to be used on - they only know the maximum PSI their tires are constructed/rated for to operate safely. If you check the PSI shown in your DIC, you'll see that the PSI can raise significantly as the tires warm up from driving - especially in hot summer weather.

Now you know how to determine the correct tire PSI and you can thrill and amaze your friends with this information.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The correct answer is 36 psi for optimal wear and mileage, and yes with temperature or operation making heat the PSI will vary. Now being around 40 degrees I have had to add several pounds to each tire versus say 60 to get to 36, and my new tires keep around the exact same pressure at 35-36 LBs . You run that cold, then it heats up a few PSI normally in operation.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:44 AM   #13
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Sorry, I'm not in the habit of reading door jambs. I guess I should have checked there instead of the owner's manual or even, say, on the actual tire.
The number on the tire is the maximum pressure the tire can safely hold. A tire can be installed on many different cars of different weights.

The number on the door jamb is the optimum pressure for the tire as installed on a particular vehicle.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:58 AM   #14
VA SSHEVY

Drives: 2012 SS/RS Convertible
I fill mine to a couple lbs greater than the door jamb when the tire is cold. Too much pressure and you'll lose traction quicker on wet roads. Too little and your car will not feel as quick. Maybe exaggerated, but like you're driving through sand. ANyway, that's how it feels to me SOTP.