Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #1
SWAG1LE

Drives: 2013 1LE
Re-spark your 1LE love

I love my 1LE don't get me wrong. However, I am still paying for it. I owe like 23k. I know I am definitely not in a hole and have some equity. She only has 10,500 miles on her as well.

So, with all this hype about 6th gen's, new C7's, GT350's and Z/28's... my head is spinning! I can get into a used 2014 Z/28 with less than 2,000 miles for under 55k. The GT350 is nice but still a Mustang. The C7 is not all that and styling is still a bit out there for me. Do I give in to the keeping up with the Jone's syndrome or resist the urge and remember the 1LE aint' no slouch. It's funny how psychological this car nut craze can be.

I think I will start adding some HP to my 1LE and move on. Perhaps some GMPP heads and custom grind cam with all supporting goodies will keep me happy for a while

Anyone else in the same boat?
Old 01-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Man, I feel exactly where you are comming from. I am feeling the exact same. I love my car but there are so many other nice cars out there.

Post some pics of your ride op!
Old 01-06-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
I was in the same mind set awhile ago. I loved my 1LE but always thought that it just needed more HP. Rather than start the endless pursuit of adding HP and making mods to my 1LE, I choose to go the other direction..........buy a ZL1, a decision that I do not regret to this day. Good luck with your decision.
2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Thanks for making things harder for us Shark! Lol
Old 01-06-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
Chevy Runs Deep

Drives: 2015 BLK 1SS LS3 M6 NPP
I was in this boat this summer. Months doing research in addition to getting to drive all many makes and models being a tech. Best advice drive them all and decide which one does it for you. I personally wanted a raw and simplistic muscle car if anything to get away from the complicated over engineered euros I mostly work on. Plus I'm a GM guy at heart so..... It's easy to go broke keeping up with theJoneses lol. Powerball looking good right now!

The good thing is its a great time to get what you want. Throwback muscle from 5th gen and challenger, or modern technical sports car from 6th gen, c7 or Stang. You shouldn't be concerned with performance since you're willing to mod plus you already have a great handler with the 1LE. If I was in your shoes I'd either keep and mod it or grab a C7 even though the looks aren't as appealing to you. Imo it is the best of the cars you listed stock.
Sometimes I don't get all the concern about our mostly 12 sec range stock commuters. They should be fun to drive more than anything. Drive a gtr, z06,gt 500, and rethink what a fast stock car is. Buy what YOU like op.
Chevy Runs Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:55 AM   #6
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAG1LE View Post
I love my 1LE don't get me wrong. However, I am still paying for it. I owe like 23k. I know I am definitely not in a hole and have some equity. She only has 10,500 miles on her as well......

....I think I will start adding some HP to my 1LE and move on. Perhaps some GMPP heads and custom grind cam with all supporting goodies will keep me happy for a while

Anyone else in the same boat?
Think of it this way. A full bolt-on 1LE with cam and supporting mods, will have more rwhp than any of those "nicer newer cars" you all speak of in stock guise. Your 1LE will be quicker as well.

Don't kid yourself, once you buy the newer offering, you will modify it with the exact same type of mods as before.

Your decision ultimately depends on, do you help to keep the economy rolling, or do you draw the line, pay off your debt, and keep what you got and be happy with it.

You can still be ahead of the game with smart upgrades is what I'm driving it : ).
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #7
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 Red Rock ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark72 View Post
I was in the same mind set awhile ago. I loved my 1LE but always thought that it just needed more HP. Rather than start the endless pursuit of adding HP and making mods to my 1LE, I choose to go the other direction..........buy a ZL1, a decision that I do not regret to this day. Good luck with your decision.
+1
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #8
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I was driving my 1LE to the store the other day in a snowstorm and the last thought going through my head was "man, you know what this car needs... 50 more horsepower"..

It's all in what you're doing with your car.. If it's your monster toy, then it opens one set of doors, if you're trying to keep it DD and still be fun, it's another route.
More power is definitely fun, but it's not always what you really want or is even practical.
It's easy to get bit by the bug, so you need to engage the brain and remember what you actually do with your car.
I go that route too, but always come back to earth when I think... 400 hp to the ground is probably enough to get me to the store and work just fine.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
SWAG1LE

Drives: 2013 1LE
Great input so far guys!

A few HP goodies will keep me satisfied for a long while I think. That's all this puppy needs is a little more kick. The aftermarket options are at an all time high right now too.

I'll post some pics as soon as I get some new ones.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:58 PM   #10
charlie46

Drives: 2013 camaro 1le
I'm in the same boat 3,500 miles on my 2013 1le , almost pulled the trigger on a 2015 black z28 , my car plus $25 k with the 20% off special that expired , but I love my 1le with all 2ss options with navigation and nnp exhaust it would be hard to live with out heads up display rear view camera and better sound system . Saw the 2016 gen 6 and didn't care for the exterior , and interior is awesome but it's more difficult to see out of then the gen 5 camaro.
charlie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
I don't have the finances for any of those other cars. A 1LE (or any 5th gen SS) has plenty of power for a street/weekend track car. If I wanted a pure street/track beast for more $$ I'd get a new Viper ACR. That thing is mean as f--- and dominates pretty much anything short of a full on race car.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #12
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
I am more than content with my 1LE. I've driven two C7s now, and prefer my 1LE to them hands down. I've been a passenger in a Z/28 ... incredible car, but a terrible daily driver (which my 1LE is and whatever car would replace it would be). I am not a horsepower freak, so the ZL1 is wasted on me and I have no desire to acquire the faster acceleration of the Gen 6.

Content. I don't want any horsepower upgrades. I can barely use full throttle on my favorite back roads as it is.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:22 PM   #13
charlie46

Drives: 2013 camaro 1le
If I keep my 1le , I'm going to install American racing headers 1 7/8 long tubes with a tune , already have cold air intake with these mods hopefully make 415 to 420 rwhp. If I trade it in would consider gt350 with electronics pakage or a great deal on 2015 z28 when incentives come back , at 50k I have no choice but to pull the trigger on a z28 even with that crappy tremec transmission
charlie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #14
Electric

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
OP, I noticed there is no ported throttle body on your mod list. Here’s my recommendation, spend $150, get it installed, and it will re-spark your love to your car, guaranteed.
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote