Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
jimbow

Drives: 2012 2LS Camaro - RIP 10/3/2021
Outdoor Car cover reccomendations

Ok, I've tried to search and all I'm finding is indoor covers.

My Camaro (2012 2LS Coupe) has to sit outside under pine trees and submit to sun, rain, some Ice and a little snow here just outside of Atlanta, GA.

Its outside cause I need the garage space to rebuild the race car engine, suspension, etc. this winter. The other side has the wife's Corvette so thats not happening.

So what is a great outdoor cover for those conditions?
my budget is less than $300.

I found this one, but it seems like its generic:
http://www.empirecovers.com/detail.a...&source=search
And this one:
http://www.carcoverusa.com/Coverking-Mosom.html
That one seems like a custom fit - so it should be better?

Anything else?
jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
If you want quality, expect to spend over $400. The best car cover for outdoor use is Covercraft's Weathershield model. It comes in both the HP and the HD variants.

The HP variant is lightweight, smooth material and a bit cheaper while the HD is very heavy, offers better UV protection, but the material is not as gentle. Material softness doesn't matter since the #1 rule with car covers is to always make sure to wash the car and make sure it is 100% clean before putting the cover on, or else you're going to cause scratches. I have the HD, myself.

Both of them are known for their ability to shed water the moment it touches them. Water just beads up and rolls off, while at the same time they're breathable and allow moisture underneath them to escape. No car cover is waterproof, though. During heavy downpours, water will pool in certain areas and begin to "wick" through the cover material; but only trace amounts. I think the statistic is that only 2% of water is able to get through the Weathershield, and that's only during the heaviest downpours.

Either one will definitely protect from treesap.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote