Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #43
SOBBuilt

Drives: 2011 SS/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
That's a bit optimistic. It's only around 4 more pounds of boost.

Unless you also have done more to the engine.

Definitely will feel different now with that plastic gone and the new pulleys.

What a crazy situation.
It's more than 4 pounds, and a lot more done then that.
SOBBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #44
Leviser

Drives: 03 BLK SSS, 13 BRM ZL1.
Sorry to hear about the plastic piece left in the supercharger.

I am very happy to say that my car is home today. Was able to take for a quick ride on highway and sounds great. No more marble sound when parked. Service manager did say that once the supercharger was removed that you can feel the difference between how smooth the new supercharger spins compare to the old one. Can feel the marble effect moving it by hand on the pulley.

Besides some finger prints, car came back great. I opted for them not to wash my car. I will do myself.
Was worried about all the bad experiences I read about the dealerships.
Good luck to anyone who performs the service on their supercharger.

Next for me is to install my carbon fiber spoiler, tune my radio better and have my windshield replaced due to a crack.
Leviser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #45
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Good to hear.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #46
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
So are failed superchargers a common issue with the ZL1? What about the LSA in general? I had been going back and forth between a 1LE and a ZL1 for heavy track use. I was leaning towards a 1LE and this kind of reassures my decision. As much appeal as the ZL1 has, I'm kind of leary now.
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #47
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
The dust cover left in is probably from a Supercharger recall for the older ZL1s (the older isolators were not the 'solid' version so the later replacements are updated with the solid isolator). I'm pretty sure this (leaving the dust cover in place) is not a 'common' issue.

The ZL1 offers a lot more than just the LSA with Supercharger -- its the suspension and the improved components (differential, transmission, magnetic shocks/struts, etc). Even more-so over the 1LE.

1LE or ZL1 are both great track cars. I'm sure you'll be happy with either. I can say, if you bought a 1LE, you could do the ADM upgrade and get the SuperCharger kit -- with a pulley, injectors (#85 or bigger) and Stage 3 Blower CAM (assuming a stick) upgrade you could get near 660 RWHP.... ;o)

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:21 AM   #48
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
The dust cover left in is probably from a Supercharger recall for the older ZL1s (the older isolators were not the 'solid' version so the later replacements are updated with the solid isolator). I'm pretty sure this (leaving the dust cover in place) is not a 'common' issue.

The ZL1 offers a lot more than just the LSA with Supercharger -- its the suspension and the improved components (differential, transmission, magnetic shocks/struts, etc). Even more-so over the 1LE.

1LE or ZL1 are both great track cars. I'm sure you'll be happy with either. I can say, if you bought a 1LE, you could do the ADM upgrade and get the SuperCharger kit -- with a pulley, injectors (#85 or bigger) and Stage 3 Blower CAM (assuming a stick) upgrade you could get near 660 RWHP.... ;o)

-Don
It was my understanding that the rear end and transmission were the same on both vehicles. The MRC is unique to the ZL1.

If I am going to have forced induction and the factory offers it on the same model, I'll just go with the ZL1. Much stronger bottom end and it's designed with F/I in mind from the start. If I go with the 1LE, it will be all motor. I'd be happy with 525 RWHP it's a lighter chassis and less nose weight.

Again though, is the supercharger failure a common issue? Or more so on the earlier models and has now been sorted?

Both have their pluses and minuses. Just trying to weigh my options
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #49
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Oak View Post
It was my understanding that the rear end and transmission were the same on both vehicles. The MRC is unique to the ZL1.

If I am going to have forced induction and the factory offers it on the same model, I'll just go with the ZL1. Much stronger bottom end and it's designed with F/I in mind from the start. If I go with the 1LE, it will be all motor. I'd be happy with 525 RWHP it's a lighter chassis and less nose weight.

Again though, is the supercharger failure a common issue? Or more so on the earlier models and has now been sorted?

Nope, the ZL1 has specific trans and diff. The diff is much larger and stronger in the ZL1.

And a bothersome rattle at idle is common in the 2012-2013 and early 2014's. It is mostly harmless. And it's not that common for it to lead to failure. But GM will put the new design supercharger on for you anyway
if it rattles. Actual failures have been rare.

If you plan to mod the car you might as well fix the rattle yourself with the simple $50 coupler available from several vendors.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #50
toyosuprablue
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Oak View Post

The new design supercharger with no issues came from the factory on 2014-2015 ZL-1s with the exception of the early early 2014s
toyosuprablue is offline   Reply With Quote