Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-14-2024, 05:15 PM   #15
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfnw View Post
If I understand, there were numerous ordered cars that never got built. Why the rush to stop building 24s? Not market driven if there were unfilled orders (never mind dealers wanting to stock to gradually sell off). Doesn't seem like sound business to leave money on the table by not filling orders.
That’s crazy to leave all that money on the table. Especially when every new Camaro sells very near or at sticker. GM should have set the deadline for ordering then accept and build every single order that came in until the deadline.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 05:25 PM   #16
tenargo57

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
That’s crazy to leave all that money on the table. Especially when every new Camaro sells very near or at sticker. GM should have set the deadline for ordering then accept and build every single order that came in until the deadline.

This is just conjecture, but I would guess that given the Camaro's low production numbers relative to almost everything else they build, they'd be leaving money on the table by continuing to produce them rather than freeing up manufacturing and engineering resources for higher volume/profit margin vehicles. I would guess that 2023 Camaro sales were likely higher than 2022 because of FOMO, probably not because they suddenly grew in popularity.
tenargo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 05:47 PM   #17
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenargo57 View Post
This is just conjecture, but I would guess that given the Camaro's low production numbers relative to almost everything else they build, they'd be leaving money on the table by continuing to produce them rather than freeing up manufacturing and engineering resources for higher volume/profit margin vehicles. I would guess that 2023 Camaro sales were likely higher than 2022 because of FOMO, probably not because they suddenly grew in popularity.
They didn’t free a darn thing up except for peoples jobs. After ending production they laid off staff at Lansing assembly.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 01-14-2024, 05:56 PM   #18
tenargo57

Drives: Car
Quote:
They didn’t free a darn thing up except for peoples jobs. After ending production they laid off staff at Lansing assembly.

Yep, and those people were building the Camaro among other vehicles being discontinued. According to GM they want to focus on building EV's and needs more resources, which includes retooling their Orion plant. They already moved 1k workers earlier this year to other plants. I'm not condoning anything, just explaining what I meant by resources.
tenargo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 06:06 PM   #19
drfnw

Drives: 2023 Camaro RS
Conjecture on my part, too. But the idea of ending production to re-allocate the factory, employees, etc would make more sense if, indeed, the factory was needed to build other product. But is that the case? Is anyone reporting to the plant tomorrow to re-tool? Build something else? If I understand correctly, the answer is "No."

It may not show up on a spreadsheet, but there are real costs to cutting models. For one thing, it is not a good look. A retreat. Along with that, it minimizes your potential market. Without the Camaro convertible, I had zero reason to even think about buying a Chevy. A halo model is good to attract attention even if the buyer ends up with something less. Corvette can do that, but why not build some other excitement (apologies to Pontiac).
drfnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 06:30 PM   #20
24LT1guy

Drives: 79,97,02 z28
Quote:
I doubt many base LTs with no options were built. When the 6th Gen came out you could supposedly get one for $23k, an LS trim with the turbo 4.
I highly doubt many rc300 are built. Most are rc350 which starts at 49k. I'm willing to bet most 2024 v6 camaros are stickered at half of an rc350 or close to it. Thats a lot of profit.
24LT1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 11:47 AM   #21
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Camaro's existence as a V8 muscle car contrasts the image and direction gm decided to take. Its sales numbers needed to be great and they weren't even good for the 6th gen which is unfortunate because it is a great car. gm gave up on the car several years ago as highlighted in this Road and Track article https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...served-better/

There are a few other automakers building cars I'd be interested in buying and when the time comes I'll look in their direction. Maybe the Camaro comes back but I'd be surprised if it was a two door car. More surprised if it had a gas engine and manual transmission. I'm hoping to be really surprised.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 01:09 PM   #22
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
Camaro's existence as a V8 muscle car contrasts the image and direction gm decided to take. Its sales numbers needed to be great and they weren't even good for the 6th gen which is unfortunate because it is a great car. gm gave up on the car several years ago as highlighted in this Road and Track article https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...served-better/

There are a few other automakers building cars I'd be interested in buying and when the time comes I'll look in their direction. Maybe the Camaro comes back but I'd be surprised if it was a two door car. More surprised if it had a gas engine and manual transmission. I'm hoping to be really surprised.
I guess it just shows the real issue: no one cares about cars anymore.

The days of pulling into the driveway with a new car and popping the hood to talk fuel injection with the neighbors are over.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 01-15-2024, 02:23 PM   #23
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Quote:
I guess it just shows the real issue: no one cares about cars anymore.
Yah the market is pretty small. That being said I know a couple younger guys in my neighbourhood (I'm 41 and they're early 20s) that love cars. The problem is justifying an impractical vehicle while trying to get on their feet. Find a place they can afford etc. has become costly. So I think people still care but four doors with more storage space covers all bases.

I dd my Camaro and would encourage others to do the same. Winter tires and less than 10" of snow and you're good. My wife drives the van so I do have a second option though.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:25 PM   #24
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfnw View Post
Conjecture on my part, too. But the idea of ending production to re-allocate the factory, employees, etc would make more sense if, indeed, the factory was needed to build other product. But is that the case? Is anyone reporting to the plant tomorrow to re-tool? Build something else? If I understand correctly, the answer is "No."

It may not show up on a spreadsheet, but there are real costs to cutting models. For one thing, it is not a good look. A retreat. Along with that, it minimizes your potential market. Without the Camaro convertible, I had zero reason to even think about buying a Chevy. A halo model is good to attract attention even if the buyer ends up with something less. Corvette can do that, but why not build some other excitement (apologies to Pontiac).
It’s been know for quite some time that GM is transitioning Lansing Grand River to build a series of electric vehicles, including at least one that will be a Corvette variant. Here are some excerpts from a 2022 Detroit Free Press story on this…

GM to invest historic $7 billion in 4 facilities across Michigan, creating 4,000 jobs

Jamie L. LaReau
Detroit Free Press

…” General Motors will invest $7 billion in four manufacturing facilities, making the state the "hub" of electric vehicle development and manufacturing.

GM said Tuesday it will spend $2.6 billion to build a new battery factory in the Lansing area and $4 billion to convert its existing factory in Orion Township to make electric pickups.”

…” For UAW members at the GM Lansing Delta Township and Lansing Grand River Assembly plants the investments are commitments to continue and expand into new technologies as the industry transitions.”

…” GM is investing $510 million in Lansing Delta Township Assembly and Lansing Grand River Assembly plants to upgrade their production capabilities.”

Then this story from November 2023. Sources include Reuters (very reputable news provider) and documentation shown to the UAW as part of the strike negotiations detailing expected usage of production facilities…

GM Might Build the Corvette EV and Electric Cadillac Sedans at its Lansing Grand River Facility

…” General Motors’ Lansing Grand River Assembly Plant is focused right now on building internal-combustion vehicles like the beleaguered Chevy Camaro and Cadillac CT4 and CT5.

But a recent report from Reuters suggests the large Michigan facility – which opened in 2001 and spans 3.4 million square feet – may be switching over before the end of the decade to production of a new Corvette EV and all-electric Cadillac sedan models.

Reuters says its sources believe production of the new premium EVs could begin in Lansing around 2027
. As usual, GM officials are being tight-lipped about future products but did promise “more specifics around product details moving forward.”

In an outline of future GM investments through April 2028 provided in a summary of the latest labor contract with the UAW, negotiated after a 46-day strike, the company indicated plans for $13.3 billion in investments in U.S. facilities, with $1.25 billion earmarked for the Lansing plant.”
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:51 PM   #25
len125

Drives: chevrolet camaro
why?

because that was the deal with banruptcy..erode USA soverignty and power in the world glorify toyota, honda, subaru,etc....the goal is to make america look weak on all levels...plus GM pays more for pensions and benefits for its retired workers....i dont think toyota and honda and mazda has unions for its usa workers
len125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 03:08 PM   #26
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
I was just reading that Toyota has invested in some upgrades for the 2024 Lexus RC350 sports coupe and it got me thinking……

Toyota is the world king of efficiency. They will not so much as use a screw if it is not required and can still maintain quality and reliability. They’re also the kings of fuel efficiency as well as making rather boring, bland, milk toast cars.

They make mostly appliances for people who do not care about cars.

They do not sell a whole lot of RC’s.

But I got to thinking, they’re still building the RC350. And investing in future upgrades. It’s not a hybrid. It probably gets the worst fuel economy of the entire Toyota/Lexus portfolio with the exception of their trucks and SUVs. It actually still comes with a CD player. It’s a coupe with a back seat even tighter than our 6th gens.

Again, Toyota is still building it and has no immediate plans to stop.

So what got me thinking, is, well….. every reason GM and other people have cited to end Camaro production - it’s fuel economy, cramped rear seat, relatively low tech, it’s a coupe, doesn’t have good fuel economy, low sales (even though it sells more than the RC)….. and yet Toyota still builds what is essentially their version of the Camaro.

I just have to wonder then, how and why does Toyota still make their customers happy while GM alienates theirs?

Toyota is and has always been way over rated.
MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 03:11 PM   #27
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnake1972 View Post
GM is ran by a dumb bitch that has no clue IMO. Make me your leader and I will restore order !
This I agree with, without question.
Old 01-15-2024, 03:13 PM   #28
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Quote:
The crazy thing is that she’s been at GM for 40 years. She started out as an engineer too, not some number crunching pinhead bean counter.

There was a time she actually was a car girl.

Somewhere along the way she sold out to be queen.

Either that or a DEI hire.