Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-29-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
GM Lifer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS in Red Hot
Rear SS Badge Placement Story: Urban Myth?

My 2016 SS has been in the body shop over a month after being rear-ended. It's just about done, but my contact at the body shop said he was holding off putting the rear SS badge on the bumper until he could be exactly sure where I wanted it located. Then he told me an odd story he got from the Chevy dealer that supplied some of my replacement parts.

According to the story, 2016 Camaros with the SS package were intended to have the SS badge located on the trunk lid, but on the first day of production the machine that placed the badge on was broken, so they literally had a guy sitting in a chair at the assembly line hand-placing each badge as the cars rolled by. Sometimes he'd put it here, sometimes he'd put it there, sometimes it would be level, other times it would be crooked. Peel off the double-sided tape and slap it on.

That sounds crazy to me. Seems to me I've seen multiple 2016 Camaro SSs lined up, and the badges are all in exactly the same spot on the lower left bumper. There HAS to be a template somewhere to show the exact badge location, right?
GM Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I don’t believe any part of that.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
lol first thing i thought when i saw the ss camaro was damn thats a weird spot to put a ss badge but mine is still there after 4 years
Old 04-29-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I’m like Glen E and don’t believe that bs!!
Old 04-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #5
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
ijust don't think there was a right spot for it. up next to the bowtie would be too much in one spot.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #6
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
Sounds like a bunch of CRAP!!! When I took of My 16 2SS off the LOT, One of the first things I did was to Move the SS from the lower left on the Bumper to the RT. corner of the Deck Lid. After a Week of looking at it there, I removed it and painted it Body color, Removed that GIANT GOLD BOWTIE and All looks GOOD Now!! Its all personal Likes From HERE!!!!
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
In one regard this kind of wouldn't surprise me (given that it's GM here) but on the other hand it seems a little far fetched lol
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:19 PM   #8
GM Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I don’t believe any part of that.
Same here. There must be measurements somewhere that show precisely how to locate this silly badge. Every 2016 I've ever seen has the badge in the same spot, at the same angle.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #9
GM Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
ijust don't think there was a right spot for it. up next to the bowtie would be too much in one spot.
I feel the same.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:31 PM   #10
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Don't believe it at all. They usually have a Teflon template that aligns with 2 edges of the car and there's a hole in the middle where the badge would go. As easy as that. If the machine was broken, it would have taken few minutes to make a similar jig that would provide a repetitive result.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #11
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
Don't believe it at all. They usually have a Teflon template that aligns with 2 edges of the car and there's a hole in the middle where the badge would go. As easy as that. If the machine was broken, it would have taken few minutes to make a similar jig that would provide a repetitive result.
This

Most badges I know of are hand applied. They may have a device that apples pressure to seat the tape. Never seen a machine that installs badges and if there was one and it failed ......... an operator would put it in the right spot.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #12
GM Lifer

Here's a photo my son took of the back end of my car four years ago when I first brought it home. We Googled "2016 Camaro rear bumper" and found several photos. All the SS badges were in this general area, but sure enough, different photos show the badge in slightly different locations. How does this photo compare to YOUR badge placement?
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #13
stmbtwilli

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS
[QUOTE=GM Lifer;10778387]My 2016 SS has been in the body shop over a month after being rear-ended. It's just about done, but my contact at the body shop said he was holding off putting the rear SS badge on the bumper until he could be exactly sure where I wanted it located. Then he told me an odd story he got from the Chevy dealer that supplied some of my replacement parts.

According to the story, 2016 Camaros with the SS package were intended to have the SS badge located on the trunk lid, but on the first day of production the machine that placed the badge on was broken, so they literally had a guy sitting in a chair at the assembly line hand-placing each badge as the cars rolled by. Sometimes he'd put it here, sometimes he'd put it there, sometimes it would be level, other times it would be crooked. Peel off the double-sided tape and slap it on.

That sounds crazy to me. Seems to me I've seen multiple 2016 Camaro SSs lined up, and the badges are all in exactly the same spot on the lower left bumper. There HAS to be a template somewhere to show the exact badge location, right?[/QUOTE

Before they started regular production of the 6th gen we were in Bowling Green at CamaroFest where there was a lot talk about where the SS was going to be positioned on the rear of the car. The majority seemed to prefer that it be placed on the trunk lid as opposed to the lower left of the bumper cover. We had seen it in both locations on the pre-production cars. On Saturday night during the parking lot party I asked Al Oppenheiser where they would place it once production got underway. He said,"we want to put it where you folks want it and it seems you want it to be on the lower left of the bumper cover." I did't but that's where it is.
It has always bugged me that they don't place it perfectly horizontal but lnstead line it up with a crease on the bumper cover. So I asked Tom Peters about that at the 50th Celebration at the Lansing plant and he said, "the design team liked it the way it was." They build a beautiful car so I couldn't argue with that.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:18 PM   #14
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
True story or not, original or not, right or wrong, I think it looks terrible there. Took it off immediately. Same time I took off the chrome fender shields. -and the front grill emblem.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote