#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-29-2024, 11:29 AM   #85
split_bumper

Drives: 24 ZL1, 6.2L Denali, 73 SplitBumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPirate View Post
Here are pictures of the underside of the supercharger lid and the steel sound plate that I removed.

What is the reason this is in there in the first place? Was it something to do with a vibration isolator? If it really is that big of a gain for IAT and you get a little more blower whine out of it as a con, I don't see it being a bad thing to remove it.

https://cws.gm.com/vs-cws/vehshop/v2...FJ1R60R0111531
split_bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:45 AM   #86
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by split_bumper View Post
What is the reason this is in there in the first place? Was it something to do with a vibration isolator? If it really is that big of a gain for IAT and you get a little more blower whine out of it as a con, I don't see it being a bad thing to remove it.
As I understand it, the reason for the steel sound plate is to reduce the supercharger whine in the cabin. It's that simple. I suppose the engineers felt like ZL1 owners wanted more refinement. The plate is also coated on the side that attaches to the supercharger lid. By removing it you can hear more supercharger whine, but like I said that isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if you like to hear the SC whine. I don't see it as a bad thing either. Although after I removed the plate I started hearing a faint whine with the radio off even at idle that I didn't hear before.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:51 AM   #87
split_bumper

Drives: 24 ZL1, 6.2L Denali, 73 SplitBumper
Quote:
As I understand it, the reason for the steel sound plate is to reduce the supercharger whine in the cabin. It's that simple. I suppose the engineers felt like ZL1 owners wanted more refinement. The plate is also coated on the side that attaches to the supercharger lid. By removing it you can hear more supercharger whine, but like I said that isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if you like to hear the SC whine. I don't see it as a bad thing either. Although after I removed the plate I started hearing a faint whine with the radio off even at idle that I didn't hear before.

And as a result, you also noticed cooler IAT ? I followed along in the other thread you had started and most people said they didn't notice a difference. If it drops the IAT a few degrees and reduces the speed of heat soak, I feel its a benefit all around to remove it.

https://cws.gm.com/vs-cws/vehshop/v2...FJ1R60R0111531
split_bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 12:16 PM   #88
ZPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by split_bumper View Post
And as a result, you also noticed cooler IAT ? I followed along in the other thread you had started and most people said they didn't notice a difference. If it drops the IAT a few degrees and reduces the speed of heat soak, I feel its a benefit all around to remove it.
I think removing the plate does help reduce heat soak and therefore IATs. As I said in another post the combination of the Green Filter, removing the steel plate and installing a separate reservoir for the SC coolant has reduced my IATs a few degrees to ambient. I didn't look at each separately so I can't say if is the combination or just one of those changes that makes the most difference.

It does make sense to me that removing a steel plate from inside an aluminum lid would certainly help reduce the temperature inside the closed lid though. It has to make some difference in IATs. Otherwise the guys who track their ZL1s wouldn't do it.
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
Old 04-29-2024, 04:02 PM   #89
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I've been trying to decide whether I wanted to add a cold air intake. I was close to purchasing a Rotofab intake, but after doing more research I decided on a Green Filter in the stock airbox. I found comments/videos from several people who track their ZL1s who were of the opinion that the Rotofab intake was subject to heatsoak, especially when the ambient temperature is above 80 degrees (which it is here for about half the year). The Green Filter in the stock airbox on the other hand tended to produce lower intake temperatures (IATs).

As someone who has tracked IATs with my ScanGuage for years I didn't want an intake that would increase IATs. Even though the Rotofab seals to the hood, it isn't completely sealed from the engine bay like the stock airbox is. And the partial box of the Rotofab is metal which tends to hold heat more than plastic does.

Attachment 1150441
I think a closed system is a no-brainer for real world, everything else looks good on the Dino with the hood open and the fan blowing
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:25 AM   #90
ZPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
I think a closed system is a no-brainer for real world, everything else looks good on the Dino with the hood open and the fan blowing
I agree with you. A dyno with an open hood and a fan blowing isn't real world driving. In looking at intake options I noticed at least one intake manufacturer stated they did dyno runs with the hood closed in order to better simulate actual driving.
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)