Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 08-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #1
SSDanny

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
Bad rattle on rear suspension

I was wondering if you guys might know what the issue is with my suspension. I have some coilovers installed in my car for about 5 months now. I did them myself with no previous knowledge on how to before. The car was driving fine, it actually drove like stock except it was a bit stiffer because I set the dampening to that. Now last night I was driving when I slowly went over a bump on the rode at about 15 mph at MOST. The car makes this rattling noise like if there's lose bolts. I checked the bolts and nothing, they're all well torqued. I'm assuming I might of blown a shock lol, but I don't know. The car still drives fine, but with a really bad noise on bumps only. Wondering if you guys might know what I should check for. THANKS
SSDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
BMR Tech

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
What coil overs do you have? Have you checked the sway bar end links to see if they are loose feeling?
BMR Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
SSDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Tech View Post
What coil overs do you have? Have you checked the sway bar end links to see if they are loose feeling?
Megan coilovers, and yes I've checked the sway bar end links, looks fine. I was thinking it might be that top rubber top cap they came with. I wanted to use the OEM one's but they were a completely different fit. The ones the coilovers came with are a lot smaller and probably got lose somewhere up there. The noise sounds like the spring might be hitting the up on top of the car.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:26 PM   #4
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
The life long questions of coilovers welcome to the club.. make sure your top hats are secure that is usually the number 1 cause. A bit confused what you mean by rubber top ? you mean on the spring portion ? If you are getting spring rattle you are not pre loaded properly. When you installed your rear springs did you put your jack under your suspension make it just where you can just barely move the spring with your hand.. Then take a measuring tape and measure from bottom of the spring to the bottom of one of your adjustable rings.. Jack up a bit more about 8mm is what I used.. This creates a preload on the spring so when you are at full extension the spring does not come loose.

Then screw down your damper/shock body to the hole line it up and pre tighten dont torque it down yet. Tighten everything up and torque the shock body down last..

IT is also highly advised especially if you lowered the car to make sure you get the car up on a 4 wheel life so all the tires can be down untorque and retorque all your main bolts in the suspension this will put the parts where they want to be and will create less hassle in the end.

I followed every rule in the book and I have been running issue free for 6 months not a single rattle.. I did have squeak but that was the shock bushing I didnt torque it enough once I torqued that to spec it all went away..

But that is not the end I recently developed another squeak I believe its my BMR toe rods though have not had time to investigate.. Welcome to the budget coil life my friend.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:16 AM   #5
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Check swaybar bushing mounting bolts.

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
SSDanny

I found the issue guys. The rear shock mount that has a rubber piece inside actually pushed the rubber piece out. Need to buy a whole shock absorber piece from Chevy to fix that one little piece lol.