Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 08-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #1
djfury05

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
ONR Wash & Wax making paint grabby

Hey guys,

Did a rinseless wash today with the green bottle Optimum No Rinse wash and wax solution. Used 6 microfiber heavy weight towels almost brand new. Two buckets. Cobra guzzler towel to dry. Had a layer of paste carnauba wax which was very slick prior to washing. When going over it now with a microfiber the paint is very grabby pulling fibers off the towels and not slick at all. What's the deal? I talked to my local detailer and he is stumped.
djfury05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Sorry cannot help on your rinseless question. But in C.C. I would be using a good pay and spray with two bucket method. I would be Washing under and all over the car. Most of my friends that live in the heavy gulf salt air like Corpus, move their cars along after 4-5 yrs. Or ignore the rust issues and keep them tell death do we part.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The Two waxes are not playing nice....switch to the no wax ONR
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
djfury05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
Sorry cannot help on your rinseless question. But in C.C. I would be using a good pay and spray with two bucket method. I would be Washing under and all over the car. Most of my friends that live in the heavy gulf salt air like Corpus, move their cars along after 4-5 yrs. Or ignore the rust issues and keep them tell death do we part.
I don't need to do that. I keep my car garaged and only drive it on nice sunny days and I keep it on the main roads. I have a California car duster that gets the fine layer of dust off it followed by the rinseless wash. I stay on top of it almost every day. The cars these days aren't built like in the olden days rust is pretty much a non issue if you treat it right.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
djfury05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
The Two waxes are not playing nice....switch to the no wax ONR
Thanks I'll try it out and see.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
When you state "heavyweight" microfiber towels, I'm assuming your using 1200 GSM towels. ?

The fibers in these towels can be easily damaged in a dryer. Never dry them to fully dry. Only use low heat for about 15 minutes, and allow to air dry.

It's also beneficial to use a cheap clean microfiber towel, like the 2 for 88c one's at Wal-Mart, in the wash and dryer with your good towels.

All the lint will stick to the cheap towel. A plastic sealed container to store your microfibers in will keep them lint/dust free.

Fibers can also be damaged from using fabric softeners that clog the pores. Be sure to wash with a soap that is "free & clear".

Once every few washes, do a double rinse, adding an ounce of distilled white vinegar to the first rinse. This will soften the fibers without damaging them.

A good detail spray to use as a drying aid after your rinseless for dust reduction is Kenotek Showroom Shine. It leaves a very "anti-static", surface that accumulates less dust over time. It's a bit pricey at $21 for a liter, but will reduce garage dust build up.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 08-20-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
djfury05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
When you state "heavyweight" microfiber towels, I'm assuming your using 1200 GSM towels. ?

The fibers in these towels can be easily damaged in a dryer. Never dry them to fully dry. Only use low heat for about 15 minutes, and allow to air dry.

It's also beneficial to use a cheap clean microfiber towel, like the 2 for 88c one's at Wal-Mart, in the wash and dryer with your good towels.

All the lint will stick to the cheap towel. A plastic sealed container to store your microfibers in will keep them lint/dust free.

Fibers can also be damaged from using fabric softeners that clog the pores. Be sure to wash with a soap that is "free & clear".

Once every few washes, do a double rinse, adding an ounce of distilled white vinegar to the first rinse. This will soften the fibers without damaging them.

A good detail spray to use as a drying aid after your rinseless for dust reduction is Kenotek Showroom Shine. It leaves a very "anti-static", surface that accumulates less dust over time. It's a bit pricey at $21 for a liter, but will reduce garage dust build up.
Thank you for the input. These are the towels I'm using: http://www.autogeek.net/spray-wax-towel-6.html

Its not just the above towels that have a grabby feel on the paint its my cheaper ones as well. Almost as if there isn't any wax at all. This only happens after the ONR rinseless wash. Last time I clayed the car, washed with ONR and followed with a carnauba paste wax so the paint was slick. This time I didn't clay or follow up with more wax because I didn't think it was required to add more when when the ONR shouldn't be removing any.

I wash all my microfibers with the McKees 37 microfiber detergent on a heavy duty hot cycle extra wash, then dry on lowest heat with anti static steam.

I am preparing to send you a PM in awhile about a list of detailing products if you wouldn't mind helping with further suggestions.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfury05 View Post
Thank you for the input. These are the towels I'm using: http://www.autogeek.net/spray-wax-towel-6.html

Its not just the above towels that have a grabby feel on the paint its my cheaper ones as well. Almost as if there isn't any wax at all. This only happens after the ONR rinseless wash. Last time I clayed the car, washed with ONR and followed with a carnauba paste wax so the paint was slick. This time I didn't clay or follow up with more wax because I didn't think it was required to add more when when the ONR shouldn't be removing any.

I wash all my microfibers with the McKees 37 microfiber detergent on a heavy duty hot cycle extra wash, then dry on lowest heat with anti static steam.

I am preparing to send you a PM in awhile about a list of detailing products if you wouldn't mind helping with further suggestions.

The hot setting could also be damaging to your towels. Generally, above 140*F isn't good for microfiber.

I haven't used these towels you have. It isn't stated in the description what the GSM count is or the country they are manufactured in, China or Korea.

When it comes to microfiber towels, they are made in either China or Korea. Korean towels are made to higher quality standards. Germany also does manufacture some microfiber products (Microfiber Madness), which are also very high quality.

I would recommend getting towels in the future from the Rag Company, or Microfiber Tech. You'll have all the information (GSM, Blend, country manufactured in) for all the towels they sell. These companies also buy in very high bulk, so they can save you on costs vs. the detailing sites.

While a rinseless is a good idea for your situation, in between rinseless washes, when your just removing garage dust, your CD and a waterless wash will do.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #9
djfury05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
The hot setting could also be damaging to your towels. Generally, above 140*F isn't good for microfiber.

I haven't used these towels you have. It isn't stated in the description what the GSM count is or the country they are manufactured in, China or Korea.

When it comes to microfiber towels, they are made in either China or Korea. Korean towels are made to higher quality standards. Germany also does manufacture some microfiber products (Microfiber Madness), which are also very high quality.

I would recommend getting towels in the future from the Rag Company, or Microfiber Tech. You'll have all the information (GSM, Blend, country manufactured in) for all the towels they sell. These companies also buy in very high bulk, so they can save you on costs vs. the detailing sites.

While a rinseless is a good idea for your situation, in between rinseless washes, when your just removing garage dust, your CD and a waterless wash will do.

Autogeek chart says 75/25 530 g/m2 Korean microfiber assembled in China lol.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #10
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfury05 View Post
Autogeek chart says 75/25 530 g/m2 Korean microfiber assembled in China lol.
Chinese made towels tend to be more "sticky" when used on paint, at least that has been my experience.

For the money, the Rag Company Eagle Edgeless towels are the best "bang for the buck" towel. Very durable, very soft, never "sticky". Occasionally they run a sale where you can get 10 for $30 or so.

They also make a towel called the Everest 1100. This is one of the most plush towels you can get, has a deep knap which pulls any stray dirt particles away from paint. Usually run around $8 ea, but on sale I've purchased them as low as $5 ea. A really great towel for removing any type of liquid product, and drying.

If you want the very best towels you can get, Microfiber Madness makes them. They are expensive though, but the quality isn't matched by anything else I've tried on the market.