Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
ZL1-PA

Drives: 2014 ZL1
First oil change at dealer - not a good experience

I tell the service writer that I want a Synthetic Oil change, state and emission inspection. I asked if the first oil change was free (to make sure he knows how to write it up - just in case).
- he told me that it was free, and that I only had to pay for the emission inspection.
I told him if it costs any extra for Synthetic oil, I will pay it.

I was called to go to the cashier and the bill was quite high so I asked if the oil change was free. The service writer chimed in:
- it wasn't free because it has been over two years.
I told him it was a 2014 and I had it less than a year.
- he checked and saw they had the mileage listed at 999,999
They corrected the bill to what I was told when I got there and I left and went to lunch. I checked the receipt in the car and it stated 1929300 dexos1.
I checked on it and it appears that is not synthetic, or not fully.

I went back to the service writer counter and talked to another service writer about it - asking if this was synthetic and if they had synthetic.
- he told me that all of the GM cars are now recommended to have dexos1 now, but they could redo it and put in synthetic if I wanted them to at extra cost.

That's what I asked for in the very beginning even when I made the appointment in writing online...
I said I'll leave the dexos1 in for now... and left.

Is it any wonder that I had been doing my own oils changes myself for the last 30 years... I figured since the first oils change was free, and to ensure the warranty was clearly covered on the most expensive car I ever purchased, I would have them do it.
I have been using synthetic oil in my turbo cars for 20 years.

Sorry, had to rant a bit....
ZL1-PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Mistakes can happen, but they are redeemed by how well they are corrected. It does not sound like they corrected this issue properly. As a matter of shear principle, I would escalate this up the chain and address it with their higher up's. If nothing else, they need to learn how to take care of customers properly when they make human error.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
ZL1-PA

I agree completely - I am a senior manager (service) in the Bioreactor business.
I would have admitted our mistake and re-did the oil change with synthetic for free...

My old(er) 2010 SS had synthetic and the dealer I bought that from put in synthetic.
Since my other cars are turbos and the engine oil goes thru the super hot turbos, I always made sure I put synthetic in. Never wanted to seize up a bearing, and never did.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
most dexos 1 oils are full synthetic.

basically I think just like most dealerships the guy is stupid in some ways and just did not repsond correclty.

you would have to know which exact oil they used though.

My .02 is ditch the cats and don't use dexos oil at all but that is another topic.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-PA View Post
I tell the service writer that I want a Synthetic Oil change, state and emission inspection. I asked if the first oil change was free (to make sure he knows how to write it up - just in case).
- he told me that it was free, and that I only had to pay for the emission inspection.
I told him if it costs any extra for Synthetic oil, I will pay it.

I was called to go to the cashier and the bill was quite high so I asked if the oil change was free. The service writer chimed in:
- it wasn't free because it has been over two years.
I told him it was a 2014 and I had it less than a year.
- he checked and saw they had the mileage listed at 999,999
They corrected the bill to what I was told when I got there and I left and went to lunch. I checked the receipt in the car and it stated 1929300 dexos1.
I checked on it and it appears that is not synthetic, or not fully.

I went back to the service writer counter and talked to another service writer about it - asking if this was synthetic and if they had synthetic.
- he told me that all of the GM cars are now recommended to have dexos1 now, but they could redo it and put in synthetic if I wanted them to at extra cost.

That's what I asked for in the very beginning even when I made the appointment in writing online...
I said I'll leave the dexos1 in for now... and left.

Is it any wonder that I had been doing my own oils changes myself for the last 30 years... I figured since the first oils change was free, and to ensure the warranty was clearly covered on the most expensive car I ever purchased, I would have them do it.
I have been using synthetic oil in my turbo cars for 20 years.

Sorry, had to rant a bit....

ACDelco Dexos1 is the recommended oil and is a Synthetic Blend.. The better dealers offer Mobil 1 for the Vettes and Z's but you must pay for it..

11-12 Service and Maintenance
Recommended Fluids, Lubricants, and Parts
Recommended Fluids and Lubricants
Usage
Fluid/Lubricant
Engine Oil
Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1 specfication, or equivalent, of
the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is
recommended. See
Engine Oil on page 10

Black plate (12,1)
Chevrolet Camaro Owner Manual - 2013 - CRC 2nd Edition - 9/12/12
11-12 Service and Maintenance
Recommended Fluids, Lubricants, and Parts
Recommended Fluids and Lubricants
Usage
Fluid/Lubricant
Engine Oil
Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1 specfication, or equivalent, of
the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is
recommended. See
Engine Oil on page 10

Engine Coolant
50/50 mixture of clean, drinkable water and use only DEX-COOL Coolant.
See
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
aurora

Drives: 2015 Black ZL1; 2012 Pathfinder
Quote:
I would have admitted our mistake and re-did the oil change with synthetic for free...

That is exactly what I think. They should have given you two options:
1. To keep it the way it is
2. Or to re-do the oil change for free

Charging you to fix the situation was the wrong answer. I am sure if you went up the chain they would have offered you better, but who has that kind of time and patience and energy.

These vehicles aren't cheap, you kind of expect, or at least hope for, good service and a good experience. Maybe next time.
aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
aurora

Drives: 2015 Black ZL1; 2012 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post

most dexos 1 oils are full synthetic.

basically I think just like most dealerships the guy is stupid in some ways and just did not repsond correclty.
Okay, that seems very likely....
aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
ZL1-PA

Hognutz,
Full synthetic and synthetic blend are not the same, but yes by adding a bit of synthetic to conventional motor oil you get some of the full synthetic properties but not all.

My opinion is:
I asked for Synthetic verbally twice and in writing prior to the work being performed - service writer error.
Plus - they have full synthetic there...
Old 09-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
If it were my service department, I would offer to do your next oil change for free using the the oil you specify. Period.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
My dealer does a lot of Corvette's and apparently some of the owners can be picky. They do indeed use Mobil 1 synthetic when requested. I of course pay the extra for the synthetic. They use their Corvette mechanic on the ZL1's
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Hognutz,
Full synthetic and synthetic blend are not the same, but yes by adding a bit of synthetic to conventional motor oil you get some of the full synthetic properties but not all.

My opinion is:
I asked for Synthetic verbally twice and in writing prior to the work being performed - service writer error.
Plus - they have full synthetic there...
I realize that but dexos synthetics and other synthetics are not the same either in terms of zinc contecnt as well.

so this topic get a level deaper than that. It think a dexos 1 blend and a dexos 1 full for a normal driving will just be a littel bit shorter change.

due to trying to save cat's they have made oil even more confusing. I still work on flat tappet motors sometimes and oil is just harding to buy now.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #12
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
What dealership was this?
Old 09-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
ZL1-PA

Chevy21
1100 Hellertown Rd
Bethlehem, PA

I purchased the car there new in October.

Last edited by ZL1-PA; 09-10-2014 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Adding content
Old 09-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #14
Jbrick11

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
I think most service writers think that all people are stupid and they can say some of the stupided stuff and we will believe it.. I hate dealership. I do not hate the people just I have never really had a good experance.
Jbrick11 is offline   Reply With Quote