Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-06-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
Tremek

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Wagon
-V Wagon to SS 1LE or ZL1?

Hey guys, I have the itch to make a change and am thinking about where to go from my '12 V Wagon...

In particular I'm tempted to go back to a manual (had an '09 G8 GXP for 4 years before the V, which is auto) and am debating between an SS sedan, or an SS 1LE or even possibly a 6th gen ZL1.

I dig track days, and also have participated in the Virginia City Hillclimb the past 3 years with the V - or at least in 2014 and 2015, and then last year (when I got my act together and even trailered the V out!) .... the front main seal on the V let go the moment I got it on the trailer.

So - after getting in 1 run while leaving a huge smoke cloud behind me from oil hitting the exhaust - bummed but spurred on by friends, I went to Reno and rented a rental-spec '16 Camaro 1SS for the rest of the weekend!

Total disclosure, I had a blast and loved the car. I was also hugely surprised (maybe even dismayed) to find that in an afternoon of the driving the SS, I got my times down to within 1-2 seconds of the best time I had ever run in the V (which is at 575whp as it sits.) This while on rental-spec tires.

Anyway - as the V is cool, but big and fat, I'm considering getting out while the getting's good (as wagons are still transacting insanely high) and looking for something sportier.

One complicating factor is we're a 5 person family - 3 little boys - and I know I'll catch a lot of flak if I go with the SS or ZL1 as there's no 5th belt in the center rear, right?

With that said the kids get trucked around in our Land Cruiser and I think there's a possibility I can get the wife to sigh and let a coupe with a stick (she never drove my G8) back in the house if it's really the right move.

In total honesty I'm more tempted to find a deal on a '17 or '18 SS 1LE versus a ZL1 (looks like '18 is allowing for the 2SS to get the 1LE package? Will Recaros come in anything other than black? Kalahari Recaros would seal the deal...) to keep costs down and then have the option of looking at a Procharger or other FI in the future. I'm in Colorado and even 450hp NA isn't "fast" up here.

Would love your guys' feedback on how you would go... Thanks!

Edit: Figured I'd drop a pic of my SS chariot at the VCHC - do you guys like my aftermarket stripes?

(It was mandatory for a racecar, per my friends. I'm telling you now that the blue painter's tape made the ride.)

Note the pro lap-timing solution, professionally installed:

Last edited by Tremek; 06-06-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Tremek is offline   Reply With Quote