Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 07-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #29
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
I personally would not think about getting an auto in a ss camaro. The manual is sooooo much fun!!!! When I want to cruise or feel lazy i take the ford diesel (auto). I live in houston where there is horrid traffic and the manual is the way to go for me. I would get bored in an auto car

Someone else made alot of sense earlier in the thread and I 100% agree. Wait til the 6th gen drops and see how you like it, you will have less negative equity (probably), plus you might wanna loom at the svt stang, or leftover 5th gen manual. Keep your options open and be in a better position (unless you get impatient and have to have a manual asap). Once you go manual you will never go back auto ) ask me how i know)
How do you know?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #30
hector95z

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
I have one of each, though they are both 4th gens, I prefer the manual one over the auto more. I'm sure the newer ones are even better and more fun to drive. I definitely see a manual 5th gen in my future =)
hector95z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #31
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
if you do it, just wait a year for a '16. if you don't like the '16, get a great deal on a leftover '15
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #32
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
Whole reason I bought my Camaro (well...not the WHOLE reason) is because I missed my manual in my Trans Am and GTO and my truck was boring.

It's just more engaging driving with a manual, to me - traffic doesn't bother me at all.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #33
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
How do you know?

Good question. Had a 2000 ss hardtop auto ls1 with the 4L60e. Car ran like a raped ape and was a blast until the a4 blew out. Had it rebuilt to stage 3, it blew out less than 75 miles later. The shop warrantied it and it blew out again 1200 miles later, they once more replaced it and it lasted 4000 miles before 1st and 3rd started slipping. Thankfully while I was offshore my brother planted it into a tree (true story) and it got totalled out. Ever since that AND hearing numerous horror stories about the 4l60e and 4l65e it was manual for me.

Thats when I noticed how much more fun it really was driving and what i was mkssing out on. The fun factor plus reliability factor is priceless.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #34
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Good question. Had a 2000 ss hardtop auto ls1 with the 4L60e. Car ran like a raped ape and was a blast until the a4 blew out. Had it rebuilt to stage 3, it blew out less than 75 miles later. The shop warrantied it and it blew out again 1200 miles later, they once more replaced it and it lasted 4000 miles before 1st and 3rd started slipping. Thankfully while I was offshore my brother planted it into a tree (true story) and it got totalled out. Ever since that AND hearing numerous horror stories about the 4l60e and 4l65e it was manual for me.

Thats when I noticed how much more fun it really was driving and what i was mkssing out on. The fun factor plus reliability factor is priceless.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...2EA36A2E6E2B42
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #35
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGG502 View Post
So I've been thinking about trading in my 2011 camaro 2ss for a newer camaro with a manual transmission. I love my car, but sometimes i wish it was a stick, and then again I'm glad its a auto because of the shifting all the time. Anyway i was wondering if anyone had done this before, and they ether regret it or glad they made that choice.

I used to think this, too. I made all kinds of excuses as to why I owned an automatic 4th gen. Bad traffic, easier on the rear, better track car...I should've bought a manual then, too. IMO people who prefer automatics often don't know how to drive stick, so it's a pride thing. I was a lousy stick driver, now I'm a mediocre stick driver. I don't think I could buy another auto, at least in a performance car. And between the L99, giant resonators, no NPP option, no 1LE option and torque management, GM tried do do everything they could to steer people away from an automagic "muscle car."

I say go for it. These clutches are a little tough to get used to, but for the 1 day where I'm tired and stuck in traffic and don't want to shift a lot, there are 20 days where I'm so glad I'm not driving a soulless slushbox.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #36
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I used to think this, too. I made all kinds of excuses as to why I owned an automatic 4th gen.

35 years ago manual transmission weren't all that great. Nowadays it's like moving the joystick on a video game. And we can do useless things your auto Camaro can't do, like kicking it sideways shifting into third. Otherwise the automatic will likely get from point A to point B faster.

Like in this day and age, anyone that drives a vehicle that has a 3 on the tree is really desperate for a ride.

If we were having this conversation 30 years ago, I'd be one of the people shouting shouting "screw that extra pedal"
Old 07-23-2014, 11:58 PM   #37
trodecke

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
All this "rowing through the gears" and "shifting all the time" is bullshit.
To each his own.

I currently own a 2LS with an automatic transmission. Occasionally I'll let my son drive it to school and I'll take his truck to work. He has a '93 F150 with a manual transmission. The drive to work is relatively nice as there aren't that many people on the highway at 7:00am. The drive home on a good day is horrible. On my preferred route home, there are three choke points where multiple lanes of traffic are reduced to one lane (no highway maintenance, just poor planning on ODOTs part). When driving through those points it's literally drive 30 feet in first gear, stop for 30 seconds, drive another 30 feet in first, stop for 20 seconds, drive 100 feet so I can actually get to second gear, stop for 30 seconds, etc. Because I really don't want to wear out the clutch on his older trunk I don't ride the clutch, I actually take it out of gear and release the clutch when I come to a stop. Were I to ride the clutch the drive would be much easier and much less stressful. However, doing the 30 feet 30 second stop thing for the better part of 18 miles is truly frustrating.

My boss has a stick and lives 2 miles south of me so he takes the same highway home. I asked him about the drive and he said he rides the clutch all the way home so it's not that much of an issue with him.

Having said all that I'm contemplating getting a 2SS with a manual transmission but I keep going over that drive home and how much of a pain it would be.

trodecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:05 AM   #38
dgriddick

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
All this "rowing through the gears" and "shifting all the time" is bullshit.
Muscle cars and stick shift go together.. It about muscle.. not about comfort, sunroofs, and gas mileage...

Otherwise a nice auto camry 6 cyl with a sunroof would be a better solution
dgriddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:07 AM   #39
dgriddick

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
nothing sound meaner than when I down shift and the exhaust pops like the nascar .. cant get that feeling in an auto...

And with the nifty cup holders.. I can still drink my coffee...
dgriddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #40
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Don't rush into anything, wait until you can see the 2016 and see if you like it. I have one of each, LS3 and L99 and the L99 would be gone if it weren't synergy green, LS3 is a blast to drive.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #41
CamaroIOM12
Jim

Drives: 2013 2SS Camaro Convertible
Last September I went from a 2lt auto to a 2ss manual, LOVE the upgrade. Nothing is more fun than banging through the gears. IMO
Old 07-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #42
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
I went from a V6 Auto to a SS Auto. Huge regret after I got it. My next SS will be a manual. Also, as others have said wait till next summer to purchase. The next generation is right around the corner.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote