Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #15
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpb972 View Post
It's not a winter car. Period. Different tires may make it bearable but don't complain when it responds like a rear wheel drive muscle car.
Your wrong period !
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #16
Jpb972

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
Your wrong period !
Ok.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #17
philthy

Drives: 1971 Monte Carlo/2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
Your wrong period !
Absolutely wrong...the car handles GREAT with the proper snow tires. One of the best handling cars I have had for winter driving. The traction control, Stabilitrack and Blizzaks make it a great car in the snow.

It is a trip to watch peoples reaction when you trudge on through the snow in a Camaro while they are stuck.
1971 Monte Carlo
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #18
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6
I have 235/55 R19 series Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 that are mounted on the cheapest aluminum rims I could find from Tire Rack. Like someone above me said, it was the first thing I purchased right after getting the car in July 2012. Bear in mind that they are directional tires when installing them. They work very well in snow and slush, but leave a little to be desired in simple wet weather. They also tend do get noticeably louder with mileage, in my experience. I swapped mine out last winter at the end of October, that was too early. Swapped them out this winter this past weekend, which was too late. If I didn't have my wife's XC60 for the bulk of that time, I really would have been screwed. Summer tires are not meant for temperatures below 40°F. You really roll the dice in cold weather, and it's just not worth the potential dangers in snow. A winter wheel and tire setup like mine might set you back close to $1300-1400. Mind you, that is with the least expensive wheels I could order that fit. Also keep in mind that narrower tires will perform better in the snow, and winter tires are leaps and bounds better than all-seasons in cold and snowy weather.

LEFT HAND DRIVE

Last edited by Dan1028; 01-07-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Dan1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:00 AM   #19
jrcbandit

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas & Veritas View Post
These are awesome, I've had them on 3 years and driven through snow. They work, just take it easy out there and you'll be good
I concur, they were nice on my V6. However, I had very little experience with snow since it only snowed once when I owned the car.
jrcbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #20
BlueStreakHouTX

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Been lurking for 6 months,this will be my first post, but had to weigh in on this thread LOL
I bought a 2012 2SS RS 8 months ago, w/ 7k miles, still on the original tires, and man, PZeros are def summer tires, we do not have winter here in Houston, but once temps started to dip below 40 degrees, these things SUCK... spin at any speed even with Stabili-trak ON??. Thankfully it is only driven on dry days, and my daily driver for below 50 degree weather is a modded 740iSport.
BlueStreakHouTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:51 AM   #21
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
OP, you could also try the PZero Nero tires, if you like Pirelli. It's their all season version. They come stock on the 2LT. I've driven with them for 2 winters, and while not as good as snow tires, they're Ok. Have to be better than summer only tires.

Personally, I'd get a second set of wheels and winter tires if I was in your position.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #22
scottc
Central PA Camaro5 Club

Drives: Hot Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood13 View Post
Pirelli P Zeros suck in snow!
I have a 2013 V-6 RS Automatic.

Has anyone tried Eagle All Season Tires? Other suggestions? This car can't be that bad in winter.
Seriously...your asking this silly question ? Did you really think your car with the stock Pirelli's would be good in snow? Come on man you really should know this! Sorry to be a little harsh. Get snow tires if you can find them in that size or go to 18 " wheel/snow tire setup.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #23
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:

Has anyone tried Eagle All Season Tires? Other suggestions? This car can't be that bad in winter.
You can't be serious making that post.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #24
Hollywood13

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT RS
Thanks...

Thanks for the help gang....some more than others obviously.
Hollywood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #25
ToddSOhio

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:

I totally agree, and learned the hard way that the P-Zero's are summer tires. Living in Ohio, I asked the dealership how it handled in the snow, and they said "This car is so heavy, and the traction control is amazing, you won't have any problems".

Wouldn't you know, the first snow, just less than an inch, and I'm stuck, for 3 days. This is when I learned about the summer tires.

After much research,and reading many forums, I went with General Tires G-Max AS-03 from TireRack, and had them installed on Tuesday.

Today, it snowed, some serious snow. Here's a link to some video I show of our first drive with the General Tires:

ToddSOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:08 AM   #26
Neckcutta

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS
I went on Tirerack.com and got the pirelli scorpion snow and ice tires so far so good no problems at all
Neckcutta is offline   Reply With Quote