Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #29
The Blue Angel

Drives: 2014 BRM 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie70 View Post
Let me get this right he "lost" your keys and drove you to your house (now he knows where u live). This doesn't concern you at all? Hope he is honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
+1 didn't even think of this. Scary thought. Hope the he has a garage.
Nope. Yes he is. The valet service knows me very well and keeps me up front when possible. It pays to be a good tipper!! And yes I have a garage.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #30
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Or just keep your OnStar and use your phone to unlock your car.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #31
HotWheel
Adan

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels edition V6
This annoyed me when it almost happened to me. My *censored* that I traded in for the Camaro would not allow you to lock the fob in the trunk. The trunk wouldn't latch. I thought that for a more expensive car, the Camaro should have been at least as good.
HotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #32
Rich Gonz

Drives: 2010 2ss
Well the problem was that I didn't remember putting the key there. I was flipping out outside of the car then I just facepalmed when I pulled the door open
GPI SS2 VVT Cam + supporting goodies installed by Jerry @ Ideal Garage, BBK 1 7/8 Long Tubes catless/resonator and muffler delete, CircleD 3200 Stall, CAI air intake, Rx Catch Can, Vmax Ported Throttle Body, Hotchkis 1 Inch Springs and Sways, TSW Nurburgring wheels,
Rich Gonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #33
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
I'm confused. Why did you have a key made if you already have a spare?
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #34
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdam1228 View Post
So I'm an idiot, and managed to drop my keys in the trunk and close the lid while I was at work today. So I call roadside assistance and they send out this dude who looks exactly like Hodor from Game of Thrones, and has the intelligence to match.

He has a little blood pressure type hand pump that he jams in between my window and weather stripping and proceeds to fish around in my car with this long (annoyingly thick) metal rod. I'm worried he's gonna break the window prying it aside like that, and the rod tore up my tint. Well nothing was accomplished, and he finally gave up. So I call the dealer and was told that they could make me a new key, so I go in there and learn a very important fact (maybe you all already know this, but I sure didn't).

If you lose your keys completely and the dealer has to reprogram your chip, it will run you in the range of $230, plus the cost of getting yours ride towed to the dealer. HOWEVER if you get a key made now, they can cut it based on your VIN for $60 and you can program it yourself in less than ten seconds. Thankfully since I still had my key I was only out the $60.

I don't really understand how they can charge you that much money for something that they can completely do on the spot in a couple minutes based on your VIN, but if you don't have at least one spare key, get it now, while you only have to pay $60, you'll thank yourself later.
Call a lock smith. They can program a key and get in your car for about 50 bucks.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:26 AM   #35
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWheel View Post
This annoyed me when it almost happened to me. My *censored* that I traded in for the Camaro would not allow you to lock the fob in the trunk. The trunk wouldn't latch. I thought that for a more expensive car, the Camaro should have been at least as good.
You can select the lockout protection program in the menu to prevent the drivers side door from locking you out. And the OnStar app is a life saver if you still subscribe to it to remote lock/unlock if need be.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:57 AM   #36
PatS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
I am lucky, I got 3 keys with mine. I have one on me, one at the house and I gave one to my best friend in case I ever lock myself out.
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:42 AM   #37
Agent orange
socal ht5

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss
thats the reason why i still keep my onstar.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #38
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT31 View Post
Same thing happened to me! locked my keys in the trunk by accident. luckily i had my phone on me, and still have the free onstar! I looked up onstars phone number from my phone on google, called and they unlocked the car for me in minutes! Think i might pay for the onstar when it runs out
$29 a month includes navigation.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote