Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-26-2023, 12:54 PM   #29
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
I could write a book on all the terrible stuff I've done, from breaking parts on accident and having the car sit in the garage waiting for replacement, finding out I ordered the wrong thing once the car is apart and again letting it sit non functioning, down to driving it where it shouldn't be and scratching the absolute living crap out of the rocker panels.

In terms of the actual top stuff, the most nonsensical has to be the homemade NPP setup, took me I think maybe 2 months plus or minus a bit to wire it how I liked, learned a lot about how negative power triggers on relays kinda blow, that there is a difference between a positive and negative pressure actuated solenoids, and that heater vents will melt PLA plastics, it's a rats nest of wires and relays now but it works and is well hidden.
Name:  PXL_20231026_175252995.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  40.9 KBName:  PXL_20230226_021317187.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  231.1 KBName:  PXL_20220829_013256438.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  141.8 KB

The dumbest stupid thing that haunts me every time I open the hood is cross threading some of the header bolts when replacing the gaskets, it was case where I messed it up and went to work next day, but dad was home and decided to have mercy on me so he struggled and used bunch of washers to get it functional, I still think about it every few days because I would like to move to LT headers but not really sure if I might make the thread situation even worse.
Name:  PXL_20230402_174939679.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  138.4 KB

At the end of the day the most important thing so to learn from your mistakes, no better teacher then that.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:09 PM   #30
Dirgam

Drives: 2012 VR GFX SS/RS M6 Convertible
Taking mine to Best Buy to install Audio. When I picked it up had a huge gouge in the front facia, had to buy a new front bumper cover. Best Buy said it came in like that and must have happened in the parking lot. I didn't think at the time, I should have asked for video. Anytime I have to have something done to the car now, I show whom ever is doing the work that I record a video of the state of the vehicle when I drop it off.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:13 PM   #31
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirgam View Post
Taking mine to Best Buy to install Audio. When I picked it up had a huge gouge in the front facia, had to buy a new front bumper cover. Best Buy said it came in like that and must have happened in the parking lot. I didn't think at the time, I should have asked for video. Anytime I have to have something done to the car now, I show whom ever is doing the work that I record a video of the state of the vehicle when I drop it off.
Great idea!! That way there is NO question that it "was there" when we brought it in!! lol.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:22 PM   #32
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddymel1998 View Post
I could write a book on all the terrible stuff I've done, from breaking parts on accident and having the car sit in the garage waiting for replacement, finding out I ordered the wrong thing once the car is apart and again letting it sit non functioning, down to driving it where it shouldn't be and scratching the absolute living crap out of the rocker panels.

In terms of the actual top stuff, the most nonsensical has to be the homemade NPP setup, took me I think maybe 2 months plus or minus a bit to wire it how I liked, learned a lot about how negative power triggers on relays kinda blow, that there is a difference between a positive and negative pressure actuated solenoids, and that heater vents will melt PLA plastics, it's a rats nest of wires and relays now but it works and is well hidden.
Attachment 1139319Attachment 1139320Attachment 1139321

The dumbest stupid thing that haunts me every time I open the hood is cross threading some of the header bolts when replacing the gaskets, it was case where I messed it up and went to work next day, but dad was home and decided to have mercy on me so he struggled and used bunch of washers to get it functional, I still think about it every few days because I would like to move to LT headers but not really sure if I might make the thread situation even worse.
Attachment 1139318

At the end of the day the most important thing so to learn from your mistakes, no better teacher then that.
Well what you could do if and when you do decide to go LT's, since the aluminum is soft, you could buy a cutting tap and a thread chasing tap the size of the bolts at the hardware store and CAREFULLY re-tap the threads in the ones you buggered up. I've done that with aluminum manifolds back in the day. Just make sure you use some kind of oil on the tap for cutting lubrication. Just have to make sure you get the tap started at the correct angle. I did work in a machine shop back in the day too as a tool and die apprentice. Good luck..
Old 10-26-2023, 03:35 PM   #33
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:

Wow, that sux, you couldn't re-tread it a size up?
Old 10-27-2023, 11:35 AM   #34
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Recently changed the diff fluid and while I had the car jacked, trying to position the jack stand, I left the jack stand under the rear passenger side and then let the car down. Dented the car where the exhaust diffuser meets the body panel. Quickly popped out the dent and swore loudly. Touch up paint has helped mask my idiot move but man was I mad at myself.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 01:39 PM   #35
GrandAmGT

Drives: 2010 1LT & 2016 Cadillac CTS V6
This isn't something I did to my Camaro, but it was a dumb idea I had about it. Several years ago, when I first discovered that my 3.6 liter LLT engine consumed oil, I was checking the dipstick, just for the hell of it, and I saw that it was completely dry. The car was still running normally, so my first thought was that "the dipstick must be broken because there's no way it can be dry without something catastrophic happening to the engine." Anyhoo, the next day I got an oil change and the mechanic confirmed that the engine had very little oil in it. I was lucky that I caught this issue before disaster struck. Now, I check the oil level several times in between changes, and I add oil as needed.
GrandAmGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 02:49 PM   #36
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
I believe I know where a diffuser is, I think it’s missing the side brackets though.

Edit: disregard I checked in on it and it’s been sold. I know there’s a carbon fiber version of the GFX diffuser on eBay for around $500
Yeah, I've seen the carbon one from time to time. Just seems a waste to me considering I love mine body color. I do have a carbon hood but I know me. If I get the carbon diffuser, I'm gonna want the carbon side skirts to match... then the splitter... then... then...

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 05:40 PM   #37
Eddymel1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Well what you could do if and when you do decide to go LT's, since the aluminum is soft, you could buy a cutting tap and a thread chasing tap the size of the bolts at the hardware store and CAREFULLY re-tap the threads in the ones you buggered up. I've done that with aluminum manifolds back in the day. Just make sure you use some kind of oil on the tap for cutting lubrication. Just have to make sure you get the tap started at the correct angle. I did work in a machine shop back in the day too as a tool and die apprentice. Good luck..
I had thought about that, I don't know if I can re thread it the same size as existing bolts, since my "new custom threads" went at a bit of an angle and went further then you would hope (I was using the smallest socket wrench and it still screwed it like butter). I did consider making it a little bigger, my two concerns with that are that I don't know how much material is in the walls so I don't accidentally breach a wall and make it worse, as well as the fact that I don't know how much control I have on the angle with heads still on the engine, I would like to avoid taking them off. I think most likely when I'm ready to open the engine I'll probably just buy some new or refurbished heads, get them ported while I'm at it and just swap them altogether, maybe try to salvage the old ones to recoup some loss. I have a feeling this thing is gonna be haunting me for a long time still, but on plus side I'm overly cautious with every bolt I have to manhandle now, so lesson learned.
Old 10-27-2023, 08:48 PM   #38
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
I had thought about that, I don't know if I can re thread it the same size as existing bolts, since my "new custom threads" went at a bit of an angle and went further then you would hope (I was using the smallest socket wrench and it still screwed it like butter). I did consider making it a little bigger, my two concerns with that are that I don't know how much material is in the walls so I don't accidentally breach a wall and make it worse, as well as the fact that I don't know how much control I have on the angle with heads
Well, I wouldn't use the next metric size up but the standard one that is a bit bigger than the metric Tap, also you would need a bottom tap not the regular pointed one. For the angle you can use a small protractor for it at the start of the thread.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:20 PM   #39
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I bought my car in late Dec 2012. I got it home but couldn't resist going up the road for a blast. The road was a little slick. 200 yards up the road I had done a complete 280 and was now facing the way I came. Drove it home..put it in the garage till spring.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 10:36 AM   #40
Eddymel1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detleg View Post
Well, I wouldn't use the next metric size up but the standard one that is a bit bigger than the metric Tap, also you would need a bottom tap not the regular pointed one. For the angle you can use a small protractor for it at the start of the thread.
Didn't think about switching to standard thread, that might work, definitely worth considering at least.
Old 10-30-2023, 08:58 PM   #41
hkittrell

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Cosmetically, probably the dumbest thing I ever did was to try replacing the fuel door. Even though it has a nice look and feel to it (powder-coated billet), the door was too flat so it left a rather large gap at the top. Plus, the large black circle in the middle of the yellow quarter panel just drew too much attention for my liking. Thankfully, it was an easy enough swap so I am sticking with the original.

Attachment 1139246

Mechanically, my biggest moment was the time I removed my throttle body to give it a nice polish over the winter. I knew I was going to have it off for awhile so I could take my time with it, so I thought it would be good to place a towel over the intake manifold to prevent dust from settling in. Fast-forward to early spring, I was in a rush to move the car out of the garage...for whatever reason I don't know. Needless to say, I completely forgot that the TB was still sitting on my bench. I fired the car up and immediately remembered I didn't have the TB installed so I shut it off and reinstalled the TB. I restarted the car and it still wasn't running right...as black smoke began to creep out the exhaust pipes and the smell of something nasty starting to burn, it then dawned on me that I had covered the intake with a rag, which was now shredded inside the engine. This was the first (and hopefully only) time it had to be towed. Thankfully, no damage was done...most of the rag was caught in the valve springs but a few pieces made their way into the oil pan.

The moral of the story is...ALWAYS leave a note inside the car to remind yourself not to start it until the job is completely done.

Attachment 1139247
Definitely something I might have done. Glad it all worked out!
hkittrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 09:04 PM   #42
hkittrell

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
Dumbest thing I ever die was selling my 2015 1SS 1le with 15k on it and five years old. BUT...I went blind in one eye and just could not drive it with the gusto I used to down in Mexico. Pic in the thingy thing.
hkittrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumb stuff